Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Mobile Data for 07

I am considering proposing a regional application for Mobile Data units. This would include our entire county. Our dispatch center (for the entire county) just implemented a CAD system which supports MDTs. These units would be used for more than just runls, pre-fire plans, hydrant locations, draft locations, emergency contacts for businesses, and anything else we can think of.

My questions is to the more experienced grant writers, am I wasting our time? I know it is hard to give a lot of info based on what limited info I have given. Have any projects such as this been funded in the past, whether regional or stand alone grants? I think we have a good a chance as anything else, I guess I just need reassurance that FireAct will fund somthing like this.
    Thanks for the input.

Dan

MembersZone Subscriber

MDT's are an eligible project as a stand alone project and would meet the requirements set forth for a regional project.

The key points in the PG for a regional project are:

A regional project is one in which multiple organizations serving more than one local jurisdiction benefit directly from the activities implemented with the grant funds.
    Regional projects are designed to facilitate interoperability and efficiency among the participating jurisdictions. As such, the only activities available for application under a regional project are training, equipment acquisition and personal protective equipment acquisition.
    In general, equipment purchased as a result of a regional project will be physically distributed to all the departments that are beneficiaries of the project.This physical distribution of the equipment to other first-responder organizations is the single characteristic that distinguishes regional projects from non-regional requests that have an impact on a region via mutual aid.
    Don't know if any have been funded, but any project has a chance, if it's a sound project and scores well. With the changes this year with the ability to apply for multiple grants, it won't hurt to try. The worst case, they say no, but if you don't you would never know.

Forum Member

Just a quick note, unless you're going to be using radio modems, the broadband cards from Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. aren't included because they have a recurring fee.

Forum Member

Thanks for the information.

We would be using wireless modems through Southern Linc if we were to get them. That is the only wireless carrier currently in our area that offers that type service county wide.

The southernlinc modems won't be covered then.

Why use Southernlinc? Why not put up your own system, and not have the recurring bills that one gets with southernlinc?

It is not that expensive anymore.

Forum Member

I was aware of the recurring costs.

However, I was not aware we could install our own system. Can anyone direct me in the right direction on who to talk to about this?

Your local two way shops?

Drop me an email.

Forum Member

You have mail.

Thread Information