Forum Member

Default Tic's And Pacemakers

Has anyone else heard of a TIC causing problems when using near a person with a Pacemaker? A neighboring fire company has stated that one of their Fire Police had a pacemaker and the TIC caused the pacemaker to go hay wire. Just wondering if anyone else out there has encounter this same thing.

Forum Member

Ignoring for moment the question of why anyone with a pacemaker would be a fire cop...

What make of TIC? Does it transmit wireless video? It wouldn't surpise me if there was a potential for that to be an issue.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by 5FVFC3 View Post
    Has anyone else heard of a TIC causing problems when using near a person with a Pacemaker? A neighboring fire company has stated that one of their Fire Police had a pacemaker and the TIC caused the pacemaker to go hay wire. Just wondering if anyone else out there has encounter this same thing.
    The issue of a pacemaker on a firefighter aside...any electronic equipment can generate electrical fields. These may or may not be strong enough to interfere with a pacemaker (or any other type of electronic equipment). I'd guess that a wireless transmitter would be more of an issue than just operating a TI. Then again, a portable radio transmitting near the pacemaker could set it aflutter as well.

I can say this is the first I have ever heard of any medical equipment being impacted by the use of a TI.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

I have never understood this logic. When a firefighter reaches a point where he is too old to participate in firefighting and fireground activities, they are put in the middle of the road to play in traffic. Thats great. Lets take the guy with arthritis and can't run and have him stand in front of moving traffic. This is how almost every fire police system I've ever seen works. I don't get it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I can't put the packemaker aside. Its time to throw a good old fashioned retirement stag, and invite the gentleman to the retiree's monday breakfast club.

Thank him for his service and commitment, but its time to enjoy retirement, find another job, or do something else.

Thread Information