Forum Member

Default Light Duty Rescue Truck

WHO MAKES THE BEST LIGHT DUTY RESCUE RIG FOR THE MONEY?
    I am on a Combination Department and we are currently making spec's for a new rescue rig (NO PUMP) just rescue. We are looking at a Ford F550 Chassis regular or extended cab (not 100% on which yet) and wanting a 12 to 14 foot box. We currently have a 1991 Ford with a 12 foot EVI box. We are looking to build the truck around the equipment so we can utilize the space as much as possible. Any suggestions on Manufactures and or Equipment would be much appreciated. We are aware of the obvious equipment for a rescue, we just need some input on experiance in your rigs. THANKS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Frazier, their command setups are awsome but they recently built an actual light rescue for mesquite. It was either at FRI 2006 or Texas EMS 2006 Ill try to find some pics. But their products are indestructable.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Don't know where you're located but there's a real good local builder that we used a little over a year ago...light duty rescue on a Ford F-550 just like you're describing. They beat Ferrara on price by a long shot ($116,000 vs $160,000+) and their attention to detail and workmanship is as good or better than the big builders.

Again, depends where you're located, they're a small outfit and haven't really branched out regionally or nationally yet, but they've got a good reputation around here.

http://www.5alarmfireapp.com
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

I hope it works for you. We purchased a Ford F550 chassis with a custom 14 foot box 6 years ago. It runs about 1000 calls per year, and has basic rescue supplies. Cascade system, spare SCBA bottles, tools, cutters, spreaders, etc. It is overweight and underbreaked. I lost track how many times we have replaced springs, brakes, etc.

It is really easy to get overweight...

Forum Member

While I am sure that the price difference might be a bit steep, but some depts. around here have had alot of trouble with the f-550 and similar chassis for rescues,mini pumpers, etc. If you can, I would try looking at a chassis like the GMC 5500. A neighboring dept had an brand new f550 and had countless problems with it, when the manufacturer replaced it (it was maybe 2 yrs old?) they opted to go with the GMC and LOVE IT.

Pictures here....

http://northwoodfire.com/trucks/806.html

If you do a search, you can find alot of reasons why you should go with the GMC vs. the Ford if possible. You will also be able to find a thread concerning the lemon that was the former 806 (see link above for new one)

If I can find the thread, I will post it for ya.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would consider something like that a medium rescue since it requires a medium chasis to contain all of the equipment not to mention that they put a pump on it. If you are wanting a light rescue like a squad type setup for vehicle extrication and rope rescue I would highly suggest Frazier. I belive that their website is Frazierbuilt.com. I know that Austin and Houston both use them and they have work out superbly and you cant say that houston aint a busy place.

MembersZone Subscriber

By the way, we originally wanted to build a medium duty rescue, but because of budget constraints (money needed for another project) we decided to go with a light duty. It has worked out well for our needs, but one of the things we had to sacrifice was a cascade system because the weight would have been too much. We opted instead to have storage for 16 SCBA bottles, which we figured would be enough to swap out bottles for 99% of our fire incidents. No problems so far.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Rescue 1 in Manasquan New Jersey makes the finest Rescue on the market today. Here is their website http://www.plcustom.com/RescueHome.asp

Forum Member

Default Manufacturers

There are many fine manufactuters that make the size truck you are looking for:

Rescue 1 / PL Custom - just did a water-rescue truck for one of my neighboring departments (http://www.branchburgrescue.org/images/74-57.htm)

Odyssey makes some nice ones - they have made some for NYPD in the past (http://www.odysseyauto.com/vehicles/...cue_index.html)

We got our small hazmat truck from VCI (a local ambulance and 1st responder vehicle company) - they bought the body from Warner Bodies and did all the customization in-house - came out nice - see it at http://www.co.hunterdon.nj.us/911/oe...ttruck2004.htm

Hope this was helpful !

MembersZone Subscriber

Austin/Travis County EMS Spec Ops -

Houston Fire's Squad 19 -

Forum Member

RFRD,And I can think of just as many NOT to go GM.The only way I'd take the gift of a GM is if I knew where I could unload it tomorrow.I make a living fixing that junk so I ought to love 'em.But I don't.Match the vehicle to what you want it to do.25% overspec is a good place to start.Most agencies tend to underspec and overload.A dangerous,and expensive way to operate.What do you want it to do,who nearby can service it,who can handle warranty issues,all these should be factored into your purchase.Check out the new Dodge(Sterling)4500,it's an interesting piece.Not sure I'd want one but interesting none the less, T.C.

Forum Member

You are asking the wrong question. ABC Fire appratus may build great trucks at a low price, but if non of your equipment fits in the compartments, its over weihgt, under powered, and every time you have a problem its a 100 mile trip to the factory becuse the dealer doesn't offer service, that good deal isn't so good.

A good piece of appratus comes down to two things. No 1. Good Specifications. No. 2 Service after the sale. Coming up with good specification makes bidding and building appartus easier. You need to consider allot of things. With a rescue what tools and equipment do carry now, what about future needs. You need to consider man power, lighting and power. preconnected hydraulic tools, etc. Consider your specs as your bible. When you inpect the appratus and something is missing in the spec or wrong and the company agreed to it in the spec guess who's problem it is!

No. 2 Service after the sale is just as important. Would you buy a car from a dealer with no service department? I would ask does the dealer have a service department? Do they offer in house service or do you have to take the unit to the dealer or the factory?. Are their service people factory certified? What about chassis repairs, engine work, etc? Maybe this is not a concern but, its better to find out before hand then at 3:00 AM when there is a problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would suggest at least checking out www.butterfieldenterprises.com . They are a small operation, but they build nice rigs. My company is currently looking for what you are describing, and in doing so, we visited their factory. It is small, but the workmanship was there. In addition to that, they build custom rigs, so anything you want can be done it.

Bryan May is the sales manager and is very flexible with our needs and has made several recommendations to us.

They do not have a service facility near us, so any mechanical work would have to be done at a shop of our choosing. Any box work, they will send their reps to us to have it repaired.

We have not finished our bidding process yet, so we do not have the final contract in hand from them. The prices they have given us are very competitive with the rest of the market.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Anthony

Forum Member

I agree with FR43. Anybody and I do mean anybody can build a "good looking" unit but I would put more stock in service after the sale. Do your homework and research all options. Let me add I do sales part time (no where close to your location) but I have also been in emergency services for more than 20 years so I have seen both sides. Neal Craig

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanCorbin View Post
    WHO MAKES THE BEST LIGHT DUTY RESCUE RIG FOR THE MONEY?
    I am on a Combination Department and we are currently making spec's for a new rescue rig (NO PUMP) just rescue. We are looking at a Ford F550 Chassis regular or extended cab (not 100% on which yet) and wanting a 12 to 14 foot box. We currently have a 1991 Ford with a 12 foot EVI box. We are looking to build the truck around the equipment so we can utilize the space as much as possible. Any suggestions on Manufactures and or Equipment would be much appreciated. We are aware of the obvious equipment for a rescue, we just need some input on experiance in your rigs. THANKS.

Is this an ambulance or light duty rescue??

Go to http://www.piercemfg.com/ and look at their products. I think if your department goes with a Freightliner chassis you will get better service out it over the F550.

Check out the Medtec units as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Plug for the local guys.

Have dealt with these folks in the past for service on stuff they didn't build and they were superb to deal with.
    Couple of departments in my county have vehicles built by them and are happy with the quality.

http://www.mwfire.com
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Two more builders you my want to look at are

www.lifestarrescue.com

www.alexisfire.com

Both build all types of rescues and have good warranties to back them up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by moceng56 View Post
    I've seen their trucks before at shows and they seem to build a quality truck as I have never heard anything bad about them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't put forth too much effort guys....I notice the original poster hasn't even been back (or at least hasn't said anything)
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information