MembersZone Subscriber

Default Portland FF/EMT's heard anything yet?

Ive got a buddy who went for the trainee and he has heard back already. I have another buddy who interviewed on the last day and that was a week ago. The wait is killing me. Does anybody know when we should hear back?Post up when you hear of something. Thanks!
    David
    "sacrifice before self"

Forum Member

Default Pfd Ff/emt

David

I heard the letters will go out either later this week (week of the 12th) or the begining of next week (week of the 19th). The wait is killing me too. I had my interview Feb 15th so I am very anxious to see how I did. Im mixed on how my interview went. Good Luck to You and let us know how you did.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile thanks buddy

I felt like I had a strong interview. I think that showing up as prepared as I could be was a great confidence booster. On the day of my interview, I was giving my suit a once-over with a lint roller before I went to check in. The guy in the car next to me saw what I was doing and he furiously started picking huge clumps of dog hair off of his jacket. I saw another guy walk up in a leather jacket and jeans. I had spent two hours polishing my shoes and I made sure that my suit was pressed, I had a fresh haircut and a fresh shave. I had good handshakes and was so excited that I had a big smile on my face when I stepped into the interview room. For me this was half of the battle.
    I had a few questions that I didnt expect, but in reviewing them later, I felt like I said most of what I could say. Time will only tell right?
    Good luck to you. Portland is THE department of my dreams and I really hope that it turns out well. I will let you know how I do.
    David Furey
    "sacrifice before self"

Forum Member

Default Pfd Ff/emt

Sounds like you were good and prepared. I felt pretty good. I just dont want to get overly excited you know. I am the same way you are, Portland Fire is my dream job and I would give anything to get there. Did you take the practice physical agilities? It was a great practice session. I have two friends that just retired and were on the oral boards last year. They both said that Portland Fire is going to hire a ton of people. I guess the training tower is completely booked through the whole year with all the new firefighters they are going to hire. They said a slew of people have retired and a good chunk more are set to retire within this year. They both said this is the best time to be on list with all the hiring they will be doing. Anyways, just passing along info I had heard. Good luck to you.

Derek

Forum Member

Had my interview on Feb 28th....I was prepared going in but had to think on my feet for one of the questions. I went to a practice oral board at one of the stations which was a good expereince....they had great feedback and asked some good questions. But I have not heard results on my oral interview yet.

I met quite a few cool guys waiting for my interview that day (and we were ALL in suits), makes me wonder how they interviewed....it'll be interesting to see how they sort through everyone.

PAT practice sessions were in a word, awesome. I went nearly every week and got a ton of practice in. Hope it gets put to good use.

Good luck to all.
    Last edited by Jwarne2001; 03-13-2007 at 06:43 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im sorry that you guys are waiting that long. I waited about 4 weeks after my oral boards before I heard from them. I just had my CPAT for the traniee position

Forum Member

Default Any News???

Has any FF/EMTs gotten their letter from Portland yet? We should be getting them anytime.

Forum Member

Default Letters

Just an FYI, I called the HR dept and the FF/EMT letters will be going out this week. Good luck to everyone!!!

Forum Member

You all should have your results, the list came to the station today.

Forum Member

A ranked list? With names?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I think I am going to puke

Talking with a friend today who interviewed and we agreed that we will prbably lose our lunch when we get our letters. It reminds me of watching everybody in high school get their acceptance letters for different colleges that they applied to. I don't even want to open it. haha. I'll keep you all updated..
    David Furey
    P.s.-Do you know how the process goes forward from here? Does everyone take the PAT or is it up to a certain Ranking Number ? I am not sure who gets to move forward or how many people are on the list.
    Last edited by iamacheetah; 03-20-2007 at 05:03 PM.
    "sacrifice before self"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jwarne2001 View Post
    A ranked list? With names?

Yep a ranked list with names.

Do you know how the process goes forward from here? Does everyone take the PAT or is it up to a certain Ranking Number ? I am not sure who gets to move forward or how many people are on the list.
    If they do it like years past, they will take a section of the list. For example they may run the top 50 through the PAT and then when they get through those and are ready for more they may do the same again.

The list has aprox 300 people on it, hard to tell exactly because of the ties. List goes to 261, last list they hired to aprox #80 on the list.

Forum Member

Thanks. I'm anxiously awaiting a letter this week then...and hoping that the number in the rank is between 1 and 80.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks Nozzleman. We all appreciate the info. Good luck Jwarne and cheeta!!!! Lets hope we all made it!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you how they are going to rank the traniee positions? Also how many people made it past the PAT and onto the Chief's?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post
    Do you how they are going to rank the traniee positions? Also how many people made it past the PAT and onto the Chief's?
    When the trainee list comes out it is alphabetical. The hiring groups are decided after the chiefs interviews as far as I know. All I know is that after it is all said and done the people that are going to be hired have an idea of which group they will be hired in. I.E. they will know they are in hiring group 1 that will be hired in July 2006, 2nd group will have another date (both these examples are hypothetical) and 3rd group another date etc. The process the past few years is to hire a FF/EMT group then a trainee group. I really don't know much about the trainee process.

As far as how many are gong on to the PAT off the trainee list, I have heard a failure/no show rate of aprox 20% and all those that passed are going to chiefs interviews.
    These should both be excellent lists again, since we are hiring a lot of people and expect to continue to do so for awhile to come. Our new budget is tentatively approved by City Council yesterday also, this will add 4 ALS resuces and also 2 more Liason positions at BOEC along with a 4th District these all add positions to the bureau. We will have added 24 positions to staff the rescues, 3 BC's for the district, 1 Lt and 1 Capt for the Liason office. So that is a possible 29 FF positions since it all trickles down. Good luck to all of ya.

Forum Member

Default Anyone???

Anyone get their letter today?

Forum Member

Heading home now.

Forum Member

...nothing when I got home yesterday.

Forum Member

Default Nothing here

Yeah I got nothing yesterday either. Hope it comes today (Thursday)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Portland FF/EMT notification

I spoke to recruitment last Thursday and was told that notices had gone out that day. But I still didn't have anything today, and I'm in Seattle.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cochise70 View Post
    I spoke to recruitment last Thursday and was told that notices had gone out that day. But I still didn't have anything today, and I'm in Seattle.
    It is part of a city bureaucracy. Maybe it left their office last Thursday...but has to go through 14 depts before the Post Office actually touches it.
    Last edited by Jwarne2001; 03-23-2007 at 12:10 AM.

Forum Member

good luck everybody. i was there in your shoes a couple of years ago. i'm glad i don't have to go through the whole process and endure the waiting game for the mail to come everday. portland is great to work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Doh!

I torpedoed home today on my 1/2 hour break to check the mail...Heart racing, nerves on edge. check the mailbox.....nothing. DOH! Oh well, time to book it back to work. Hopefully it will be waiting for me when I get back from drill at my volunteer department tomorrow. finger toes and shoelaces are crossed.
    David Furey
    "sacrifice before self"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Portland FF/EMT notification

Right so I talked to someone at admin today and apparently what happened was the list was finalized and supposed to go out last week. Unfortunately there was a mix up somewhere along the line and notifications didn't sent out till mid-week. should be here soon. Everybody take a deep breath.

Thread Information