Thread: Belay saves

Forum Member

Default Belay saves

I am preparing a Power Point Presentation for several new members of my department.

I am searching for reports of belay lines that actually caught a rescue load.
    I would like to locate actual reports (not second hand accounts) of a mainline failure or other failure that resulted in a rescue load being dynamically transferred to the belay system.

The use of belay systems is a standard practise in rope rescue. I would like to be able to cite actual examples of where it did in fact save lives.

Forum Member

Good luck finding an actual report, like NIOSH or firefighters close calls, I have searched for similar stories. How about a first hand account.

During a training session, in which I was student, I volunteered to be the first to be lowered using a fabricated A-frame. The A-frame was sturdy, but the anchoring methods on a concrete roof were not the best. During the lower the A-frame slide forward and dropped me about 6 feet. I was caught on a tandem prsussik belay and while why pants were a little messy had no injuries.

The A-frame was re-set with an improved anchor system and I once again volunteered for the lower. (No one else was crazy engouh to give it a try after what they saw!) Wouldn't you know the dang thing collapsed again!!! Again, I was caught.

Needles to say the A-frame was scrapped and we switched to a fabricated bar installed by the training academy as a high-point.

I tell people this story and they tell me I was stupid to get back on the rope and try to use the A-grame again. My response is this. While I was new to the use of the A-frame, I was not new to basic rope rescue and belay methods. I am glad I had the confidence in the equipment and rigging methods to get back on the rope. Who knows where I would be if I was too scared to give it another try.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sjchase View Post
    I am preparing a Power Point Presentation for several new members of my department.

I am searching for reports of belay lines that actually caught a rescue load.
    I would like to locate actual reports (not second hand accounts) of a mainline failure or other failure that resulted in a rescue load being dynamically transferred to the belay system.

The use of belay systems is a standard practise in rope rescue. I would like to be able to cite actual examples of where it did in fact save lives.
    I have two case studies for you as well as the background information you are seeking to add in your presentation.

Send to my e-mail @ sw.cook@canton-georgia.com and I will reply with the specifics.

Both firemen were successfully stopped with Tandem Prussik Belays that activated immediately and no injuries were sustained.

Both incidents occurred on the same training tower, on the same day and virtually at the same time on two separate floors.

The outcome could have been fatal and in the end the findings were that edge managers must check out the personnel prior to allowing them to go on rope.

I was literally stunned when it happened as I had constructed both of the belay systems and was operating one of them when the incidents occurred.
    TecRsq
    North Georgia

- Let No Mans Ghost Come Back To Say My Fire Training Let Me Down -

Thread Information