MembersZone Subscriber

Default EXplorer Academy

My Dept.'s 2006 Safer grant includes funding to send 5 explorers and 2 FF's to a explorer fire academy. We are looking at the Ohio State Youth Fire and EMS academy at Hockering College. We also know of one in Califorina. Are there any others out thar accept out of state attendees (NJ)?

Forum Member

There's one at the Illinois Fire Institute other than the National Conference. They had it last year on the ifrst week of August I believe.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Keep in mind that I have been wrong before but, I would be nothing less than astounded if it was indeed a SAFER grant that is going to send you to explorer academy. Unless you are just using that money for it, because I am pretty sure that the SAFER grant isn't supposed to assist explorer posts and jr. programs. It could however be a private or local grant perhaps for youth programs? That being said, if you want info on the Ohio one at Hocking College, talk to Chief310 on the forums, he is the man that puts it on. He is a great guy whom I have had the chance to meet at confrences, I have never had the chance to attend one of his academys.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Academy

The approved grant specifically mentioned Hocking College academy as the first choice. just looking to have other options if we get closed out due to space

Forum Member

Really curious. What do you learn at an Explorer Academy?

I had thought the idea of Explorer posts was to learn about your department and their tactics/policies/procedures/etc.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Academy

Hey Bones - just up the GSP from you - Woodbridge

we have an active post and have been trying to get some interaction with another pos. Someone on the forums recommended these academies; looked around at some and included Ohio event in grant application.

feedback I recieved last year was centered around three themes 1) hands on training - someplace new, 2) different explorer post - different rules; which ones do/don't work 3) most importantly - gives the kids a target - keep up participation and work hard, reap reward by being nominated to go.

Forum Member

I am not sure, but last summer at the Vermont Fire Cadet Academy, there was a cadet from an Indian Reserve fire brigade in Canada.

MembersZone Subscriber

in 9 days im leaving for a week long academy in california the academy website is www.cfea.net
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Keep in mind that I have been wrong before but, I would be nothing less than astounded if it was indeed a SAFER grant that is going to send you to explorer academy.
    Prepare to be astounded. It was indeed a SAFER grant. I admit I was a little bit suprised myself, but we'll be happy to welcome our brothers & sisters from New Jersey to Ohio.

By the way, thanks for the compliment. Maybe you can find a way to come down this year?

Forum Member

Consider me astounded!

I'm gonna have to look into that definatly, my entire month of June is shot already, I'm gonna be at home for like 6 days the entire summer. I would definatly like to come down though.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Thread Information