MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hurst Mini Tools

I am looking into the purchase of the Hurst Mini tools for an added tool in our extrication arsenal. I am specificall looking at the cutters, "c" cutter, mini spearder and the ram.

I am asking for any opinions of these tools from actual training or real world use. Also if anyboby has these, i am looking for ball park figures on prices.

thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Each attachment head is about $2,000, I think the "C" cutter is one of the better options, but it is no longer on their website, not sure if it is still avail.
    The cost of the spreader head, gives you one expensive porta-power.

MembersZone Subscriber

The cost for the hand pump, spreader, cutter and 2 rams is around $5000. We have a set along with one of our neighboring departments. The tools are pretty robust. While we have yet to use them on an actual extrication, we have used them extensively in training.

Spreader - fairly large. Looks and feels almost like a mini jaws spreader. Will have some trouble getting it into some tight places.

Cutter - not the "C" cutter. Great for steering wheels and pedals.

Rams - Small and light. Work well under the dash when there isn't room for the 20" ram.

Hurst also sells a battery powered pump for the mini-lite system. I don't remember the costs, but it is pretty expensive. It considerably speeds up the operation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Mini Me Hurst

We tested these out on auto's and in my opinion and the majority who used them said that they aint worth the dam. We were thinking of purchasing them but then we got a set to try and they didn't perform for us, not saying they wont for you. The rabbit tool is about the only one that is worth having to us and we may purchase a couple of these. We tested them in cold climate it was around 0 - -10 not that that should make much of difference. We couldn't even cut a pedal consistantly.

So if you are really thinking of buying these be sure to test them out and make your own conclusion.

Burn
    Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Prices

Found a price list from Hurst for last year. The set I described above was about $6600 in 2006. That includes:

Manual pump
    Mini cutter
    Spreader
    8" ram
    10" ram
    6' hose

Never had a problem with the cutter on pedals and steering wheels.

Forum Member

contact ur local hurst dealer to set up a demonstration and get pricing. that is the best way to see if they will work for you and if you can afford them. my dept doesnt have that much money to spend.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the input, we will be setting up a demo sometime soon i hope. If anyone has pictures of them in use that would great.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cctrtlt2 View Post
    thanks for the input, we will be setting up a demo sometime soon i hope. If anyone has pictures of them in use that would great.
    where are you from and what company / sales rep. is doing the demo?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hurst Mini Tools

We recently got a set of Hurst mini-tools (cutter & spreader) and used the cutter on an MVA a month or so ago to cut a gear shift lever. It made the cut on the second try, but then got stuck closed. We sent it back to the dealer, who fixed it pretty quickly. I think that if you have room to work, it will be an option for brake pedals and such, but you'll really have to work to stabilize the workpiece. Also, just like with full-size shears, the mini's will torque and twist on you.

Thread Information