Forum Member

Default Annoying fellow EMT's

We have an EMT who is in with the "crowd" at the fire station. Her ego tends to come out on calls, so I listen to what my medic tells me and keep my mouth shut and do what needs to be done.

A lot of us have things we are assigned to do at the fire station. Hers is checking the O2 bags, making sure everything is in working order and nothing is out of date. Once she has done this, she will roll a piece of tape up, thrust it through the zipper then wrapping tape AROUND the zippers, smash it down and then initial it so we ALL know she did this task.

Several times I and our senior medic have asked her to not do this, that on a scene or call, when we have to get that bag open immediately, it takes seconds and time to rip everything off, pull the tape out and then get in the bag. She doesn't need to do this. She has continued to do this, I have asked her several more times to please stop, going so far as the explain why I didn't feel it necessary. She ignores me. I finally had enough and talked to our asst. chief about it and hope he does something.

Am I being mean? I should take pictures of what she does, as it is most annoying to have to fumble around pulling and ripping tape off. What is the purpose of this other than being a pain in the arse? Anyone else have a person in their house who does this?

MembersZone Subscriber

Am I confused, or do you ride three to a truck?

If you ride two-up, and it's you and your medic, why is she checking your bag? Actually, why is she checking the bag at all if there's a medic on board? If something's missing, it's not going to be her or your tail (assuming you're not a medic), it's going to be the medic's. I make sure I check my own truck and equipment. If the EMT wants to help, great! If not, they can wash the truck while I'm doing it, start on station clean-up, whatever.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

ERAngel;

Honestly to me she sounds like someone who is seeking credit and her way to make sure she gets credit for checking the rig is to do her childish little taping thing. How about this idea..get her some of the zip ties like they use on fire extinguishers. The ones that are easy to break and tell her it is now policy to use those to show the duty crew checked the O2 bag. That way she gets her attention for doing what she is supposed to do in the first place and you don't get delayed screwing around with the tape.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with both posts. If you try that and it works your problems are fixed but if it dont work just tell her to sit and not touch anything. Does she know what a kind of a pain in the *** she is causing with her tape?

MembersZone Subscriber

Make her open the bag.

If she isnt on a call, take the tape off when your shift begins.
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Forum Member

At the company I work for, the Basics check most of the truck over. The medic checks the airway bag, vent, monitor, ect. We've found that using the same tags like they use on our drug boxes are great. They break easily and are number sequenced. You get about a hundred in a bag. Since she won't listen, try changing your process.
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

Forum Member

The practice of placing a tamper seal on a bag that has been inspected is actually a pretty good one, IMHO. It may be that she isn't "seeking credit" so much as doing the job accountably and properly as she understands it should be done.

If the issue is that it's too hard to rip off a piece of tape sealing the bag then I suggest you purchase purpose designed tamper seals to replace the tape. Hopefully they will be easier for you to remove and she can continue to do the good job that she's doing now.

Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 03-13-2007 at 02:21 PM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I'm on the ambulance, one of my favorite ways to annoy my fellow FF/EMT is to...

Wait, I think I misunderstood the question. Never mind.

Forum Member

Thanks all for the ideas. I talked to my assistant chief about it today and he said were going to the easily breakable tabs several of you mentioned. So that will be a better solution for all I think.

As for who runs, during the week, it is usually myself, an EMT-B, and my paramedic. Everyone around our fire house has a job. As I said, her's is to go around making sure that the 02 bags are all stocked and nothing is low in them, mine is to change the portable radio batteries weekly, etc. Yes, I do check our rig out every time we run and every week night when I have duty, just in case, as I won't be caught with my pants down so to speak. I also restock all the suplies, save medications or something only a medic or paramedic can and should do.

I for now will ignore this one and hopefully she will get the idea that she needs to find humility. I run more calls than her in a year as well as help out anyway I can and don't think I am better than someone else. I learn from every call we run, regardless of if it is one of our frequent flyers and always ask questions.

Thanks all..stay safe!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ERAngel View Post
    I for now will ignore this one and hopefully she will get the idea that she needs to find humility.
    FWIW, you might want to stop worrying about someone else "finding humility" and just worry about doing the job. Harping on someone else is a good way to make yourself look bad.

Good luck!
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is to catch22. Your emts just drive? And take care of the washing duties? What? They dont do medical? Am I misunderstanding somthing?
    Tom W. Engineer/EMT

9/11 Never Forget.
    "Hey Cap? Why is that cat on fire?"

MembersZone Subscriber

We also use the tamper seal tags as described above and I too think they're a great idea.

One drawback to those bags is that over time, if certain pouches don't get used very often a crew can quite often forget what is in them. Now, for medical bags on busy cars, that's a different story. Stuff will be flying around all the time, and seals busted and pouches re-checked. On less busy units, I've seen crews forget what is in the bags, or where equipment is located because they depend too much on the seals.

Anyone else have that problem?

As for how to deal with that person I think you did it well by suggesting alternate means to accomplish the same end. And, the added bonus is your co-worker will have plenty of room to write her name on those tags too!

Don't dismay- people like this are transparent and the people above you will know who is really doing the good work!
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

MembersZone Subscriber

Around my place of work the EMT and Medic know how much of what should be on the truck. We split up the checks, the only thing that i dont touch is the narc box. Whoever is sitting in the jump seat checks everything in the front cabnets, whoever gets in on the bench checks the side cabnets, and whoever gets to the outside does the outside bins and compartments.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by elshortt View Post
    This is to catch22. Your emts just drive? And take care of the washing duties? What? They dont do medical? Am I misunderstanding somthing?
    Around here EMT-1s, what you call "Basics", do vitals, might set up electrodes for the monitor, put O2 on the patient...otherwise, they're driving and manpower for lifting...and washing, post-call cleanup, etc.

One drawback to those bags is that over time, if certain pouches don't get used very often a crew can quite often forget what is in them. Now, for medical bags on busy cars, that's a different story. Stuff will be flying around all the time, and seals busted and pouches re-checked. On less busy units, I've seen crews forget what is in the bags, or where equipment is located because they depend too much on the seals.

Anyone else have that problem?
    No, it's called a "Daily Check-In". You go through every piece of equipment and make sure it's present and in working order at the beginning of your work day..."working order" applying to mechanical/electrical stuff, obviously you're not going to stick each other to make sure the IVs work! But you should make sure you have the right number and type of perishables as prescribed by your service.
    Not only does it ensure that you have all the right equipment and you don't get stuck working a code with a monitor with dead batteries, but it ensures familiarity with the rig, location of equipment, and its operation.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Ah, so it sounds like around there its just a bunch of para-gods. I understand the close mindedness. But please if you reply, dont use any big words, since I'm just an EMT, and they might confuse me.
    Tom W. Engineer/EMT

9/11 Never Forget.
    "Hey Cap? Why is that cat on fire?"

Forum Member

In our dept. the one Paramedic is responsible for stock and seeing to it that all units are stocked appropriately. But, no one person takes care of specific duties . We all have to do it. When a crew uses a rig, we have to replace what we used when we get back. There is no leaving it for the next crew to do or someone else to check. It kind of prevents that issue of someone insisting on doing things their way only.
    And there is at least one annoying EMT in every dept.
    S.Davis
    EMT-B/FF1/ARFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by elshortt View Post
    Ah, so it sounds like around there its just a bunch of para-gods. I understand the close mindedness. But please if you reply, dont use any big words, since I'm just an EMT, and they might confuse me.
    What do you consider "big"? Three syllables or four? Hopefully it's not two...otherwise you won't get half this post.

Anyways, the "big words" thing got me to thinking about one call, was for a suspected stroke, if I recall correctly...and in giving my turnover report to the "para-god", I said, "patient is good for neuro bilaterally, sensory and motor, denies paresthesia," at which point the "para-god" looked at me with a blank "WTF did you just say?" stare for about 10 seconds. I guess he was more of a para-archangel than a para-god.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Ok............

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    ...and in giving my turnover report to the "para-god", I said, "patient is good for neuro bilaterally, sensory and motor, denies paresthesia," at which point the "para-god" looked at me with a blank "WTF did you just say?" stare for about 10 seconds. I guess he was more of a para-archangel than a para-god.

THAT is the funniest thing I've seen today.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    THAT is the funniest thing I've seen today.......
    *LOL* Thanks Chief, but it is only 9AM there...so unless you're workin overnights, there's still plenty of "today" left to see even funnier stuff.

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Thread Information