1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SWLAFireDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    303

    Default Protech 8 Long Cuff vs Short Cuff

    I did a search but did not find info concerning the long cuff vs the short cuff.

    I am ordering a pair, but I am not sure which cuff to get. My primary gear has the wristlets and the thumb hole on the jacket, but my backup gear only has the wristlet.

    Would the short cuff offer me enough protection with both of these wrist styles?

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    fireman4949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    2,323

    Default

    I only wear the short cuff gloves (ProTech-8) and they work/fit just fine. I think the long cuff gloves are uncomfortable. as they are constantly being pushed down by the sleeves of the coat.

    Just my .02 cents worth...




    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FrFtr28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    96

    Default

    There is a guy on here from the Illinois Fire Store I believe. He might be able to hook you up with a set of each to try on.

    As for me, I wear the long cuffs with the velcro strap. The strap seemed to get in the way, so I cut it off and haven't had any problems with them since then.
    28 P.R.I.D.E.
    Protecting Residents In District #1 Everyday
    www.westmead1.com

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Firedawg:

    To answer your question, most FF's are buying the short cuff 2:1 over the long. The mfg recommends using the short cuff with a thumb whole hand and wrist guard and the long cuff with a jacket without this design.

    We stock both styles, however, we are currently awaiting the arrival of the 2007 edition short cuffs. We still have about 5 dozen long cuffs in stock. Shoot me an e-mail offline and we can discuss further.

    Thank you and stay safe!

    rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    SWLAFireDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Give me an email address so I can ask you a few questions.

  6. #6
    DVFD
    kldugas412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Duson,La
    Posts
    88

    Default short

    We use short gloves with all our gear. The Jackets have long cuffs with the thumb hole most of the guys don't use the holes.The short gloves work for us.

    K Dugas
    Duson Vol.Fire Dept.
    FF1 Haz Mat OP's

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Firedawg:

    Here is my e-mail: dinges88@hotmail.com. I am at the firehouse today and probably will not be able to respond to you until tomorrow.

    Thank you,

    rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    stretch13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    79

    Default

    I got the short, and love them. Our coats also have the wristlets.
    The only problem is that I received a study done that took a pair of these gloves, and pretty much blasted them. Saying they don't meet nfpa, even though they say they do. That they don't list all of their materials that are in the glove etc.
    I am still wearing them, and still like them, I'm just kind of warry about them.
    Bill Geyer
    Engine 27
    Memphis F.D.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Richfield, NC
    Posts
    618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stretch13 View Post
    I got the short, and love them. Our coats also have the wristlets.
    The only problem is that I received a study done that took a pair of these gloves, and pretty much blasted them. Saying they don't meet nfpa, even though they say they do. That they don't list all of their materials that are in the glove etc.
    I am still wearing them, and still like them, I'm just kind of warry about them.
    didn't know that would the new ones coming out meeting the 07 standards solve this you think?

    rfd599 any thoughts?

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    stretch13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    79

    Default

    I have heard that they are making some changes to them to correct a few things.
    Like I said before though, I have them, and love them. The information I got was from a competitor(spelling), so I am kind of torn as to the validity of it.
    Bill Geyer
    Engine 27
    Memphis F.D.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Richfield, NC
    Posts
    618

    Default

    Ah ok after trying them on i'm still set on getting a pair and have quite a few from the department talked into them with the department possibly making the switch so.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Stretch:

    I also have received the 14 page flyer and that mfg. makes great products, however, I have a letter from Techtrade and SEI stated these gloves are NFPA compliant. It is unfortunate that that mfg. has resorted to blasting the competition through propaganda instead of focusing its attention to making a comparable glove.

    The 2007 gloves will be mfg. to meet the new standards and also offer some improvement over the original. As a FF and distributor, my feeling is that Tech Trade has set the bar with the PT8 for other glove mfgs to meet.

    If anyone would like to see this rebuttal, please e-mail me at dinges599@yahoo.com.

    Thank you for your continued business and we are expecting 2007 Short Cuffs to be in stock at the end of March per Tech Trade. If you are interested in ordering, please pre-order on line because we are filling first come and first serve.

    Stay safe,

    rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    stretch13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rfd599 View Post
    Stretch:

    I also have received the 14 page flyer and that mfg. makes great products, however, I have a letter from Techtrade and SEI stated these gloves are NFPA compliant. It is unfortunate that that mfg. has resorted to blasting the competition through propaganda instead of focusing its attention to making a comparable glove.

    The 2007 gloves will be mfg. to meet the new standards and also offer some improvement over the original. As a FF and distributor, my feeling is that Tech Trade has set the bar with the PT8 for other glove mfgs to meet.

    If anyone would like to see this rebuttal, please e-mail me at dinges599@yahoo.com.

    Thank you for your continued business and we are expecting 2007 Short Cuffs to be in stock at the end of March per Tech Trade. If you are interested in ordering, please pre-order on line because we are filling first come and first serve.

    Stay safe,

    rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com
    I thought it was more of the competition trying to blast the protechs, that's why I continued to wear them. I have no complaints with them. I have been a couple of scorchers with them, as well as picked up some pretty hot items with no problems at all. I have also had no problems using them for a second fire when they were soaked from the first one.
    Bill Geyer
    Engine 27
    Memphis F.D.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Stretch:

    I am with you on this one. I have had mine in service since December without issue. Only time will tell how well they are going to perform, but I am williing to give up a little durability for great dexterity. I like having a glove that I don't have to beat against the truck after a fire to get soft and pliable.

    Take care,

    rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    The 2007 edition's I have them in my hand. They have a lot of great improvements, the best being the leather wrapped around the thumb. I read the 14 page bs that the other company produced and it was all hog wash. They would take the inner liner of the glove and subject it to the heat of a blowtorch and state that it melted. Well, if my hands were subjected to 1400 degrees they would melt too! If you believe that the Shelby, American Fire gloves are better then go get them, Ill bet you they arent. If you have an old pair of any regular all leather glove cut them open and look at whats inside, you will be very very surprised. The pro-tech gloves are the only ones out there that I have found that have multiple layers for protection. Not the usual leather and crosstech barrier that everyone else has. I just feel bad for the Brothers that can not wear them.

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Did you get the 2007 editons direct from the NYC office, I have the pair that came out right before them where the liner is bonded in, i was told the new ones the liner is sewn in and has a heavier palm, when did you get yours and how do you like them, The rep told me they weren't available till the 1st week of april, I'm waiting to hear back, Ya must have juice lol

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    nyckftbl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    On a Hill, overlooking George's Kingdom
    Posts
    2,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viospawn View Post
    Did you get the 2007 editons direct from the NYC office, I have the pair that came out right before them where the liner is bonded in, i was told the new ones the liner is sewn in and has a heavier palm, when did you get yours and how do you like them, The rep told me they weren't available till the 1st week of april, I'm waiting to hear back, Ya must have juice lol

    How the hell are you guys getting these? Send some up to the mainland for me! lol
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Tried both - preferred the shorts - just my opinion.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    I had been waiting for a long time to get the 2007's. The leather is the same thickness all around, if it was to be any thicker it would take away from the dexterity of the glove. I have never had the liner come out of mine and they were abused every tour i wore them. Who needs them on the mainland? They are on the mainland when I take them home from details :-)

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    736

    Default

    One guy in my house is already having problems with his new pro-techs. They are beginning to tear at the seems. I really liked them; I don't have a pair of my own but am in the process of purchasing a set. Unfortunately they are on back order!

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Tear at what seams? I wore mine every tour for about months, only wear I had was the glove getting very soft. Guys below me have them too with no complaints. I wore the new pair of Titans yesterday to a first due job, I had the roof, but had to overhaul a plaster ceiling from above, it was a top floor job. OV took the saw, and cut, i was busy on the bulkhead.

  22. #22
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Are the titans the new model of protechs ?

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    317

    Default

    After reading about the protechs on here, I finally decided to give them a try. After using them for a month, I must admit, I am impressed. If you don't have a pair, you don't know what you're missing. I went from the department issued blue mittens to these and will never go back. I got the short cuff and could not be happier.

  24. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber
    dday05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    After reading about the protechs on here, I finally decided to give them a try. After using them for a month, I must admit, I am impressed. If you don't have a pair, you don't know what you're missing. I went from the department issued blue mittens to these and will never go back. I got the short cuff and could not be happier.
    Thats what my guys who have them say as well. Pretty much like the leather boots once you start wearing them you wont go back to rubber.

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    736

    Default

    The tearing was at the thumb seem! Maybe it was an isolated incident. And what does your top floor job as a roofman have anything to do with your gloves?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 12-22-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2005, 08:29 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 02-21-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 11:37 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 04-03-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 01:58 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 12-06-03
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 01:14 PM
  5. Patch Trade?
    By Rascal in forum Fire Buffs' Firehouse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2002, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register