Thread: Chris Simon

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Several good points. Maybe a possible answer is, along with dumping the enforcers, strenghtening the instigator rule (instead of weakening it) and putting in a major for intentional penalties (kind of like the NBA).

I like the thought of increasing the penalty for intentional penalties. That would be the only way you could strenthen the instigator rule. Fred Shero took full advantage of the original instigator rule by having his players take liberties against the stars of other teams, knowing that if the enforcers retaliated they would be booted, giving the Flyers more room to assault the skilled players. In that era the instigator rule actually resulted in a more violent league.

Look at Russian hockey from the early 70's (Shero by the way modeled the Broadstreet Bullies on Russian hockey) Fighting was forbidden yet it was probably the dirtiest hockey ever.

I was lucky enough to witness first hand, arguably the greatest hockey team ever, the late 70's early 80's Edmonton Oilers. Like it or not, Dave Semenko bought room for Wayne Gretzky to show his stuff. Without the enforcer you would have seen every punk in hockey trying to make a name for himself by taking a shot at #99.

No matter what, I think we both agree that hockey is the great sport it is because of the skilled players and not the goons. If rules result in more room for guys with talent to do their thing, then I'm all for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    The stands are usually full at a professional wrestling match, too. The International Fighting League is a popular TV show down here. I fail to see how the people who like to go watch low grade hockey filled with fighting relates to violence in the NHL.

Secondly, if you go back a few posts, someone from up there was talking about what a jerk Bettman was. Now, he condones fighting (because he is desperate for a US TV deal) and all of a sudden he's a hero. Makes sense to me.

Well it must not be that low grade of hockey if they play games on TSN. Because we all know TSN plays s**tty sports leagues on their network. These people who go to these games are the same ones you would find at the Montreal Canadiens games or any other hockey as well. Watch any of those videos, a lot of them are NHL scraps. People are cheering and loving the scraps that are shown there. So they must not be true hockey fans if they're at an NHL game and cheering like that for a fight eh George?

For example

http://www.gongshowhockey.com/main.p...le=play&id=244

Or the monsters:

http://www.gongshowhockey.com/main.p...le=play&id=231

Yep that proves it right there that hockey fans hate fighting.

Fans love it,teammates love it.Thats how fighting should be. Big George sayin "you wanna do it" and then wishin em good luck. And instagtor increased??? It's already twelve minutes automatic for instigator plus your five minute fighting major and any misconducts you get. I don't think 3 more minutes is going too do anything too that.

I don't even see how you could begin compare hockey too the NBA. NBA is full of a bunch of limp wristed pansies who drop like their shot in the head when someone gives em a little slap. No way you can compare two, not even similar sports too one another. It's like comparing rugby too golf.

Gary Bettman is a arrogant weasel in my mind but he is ultimately in charge of this and quite frankly if thats his view on this topic than I don't see fighting leaving any time soon.

And just for the record there is penaltys for Attempting too injure.You get an automatic 5 minute major for attempt too injure. Or better yet ever hear of Match Penalties or Gross Misconducts. Matchs penalties automatically come with suspensions.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 03-30-2007 at 02:19 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Just because the Toronto Sports Network airs these games doesn't give them any credibility. In fact for most of Canada, TSN has a negative conotation. Although I think there is a place for enforcers in hockey, I disagree with promoting fighting as a selling point for the NHL.

I also think there is a distinct difference between the enforcer and the goon. Enforcers are there to protect the skilled players, goons are there to take the skilled players off their game. Conn Smythe I believe coined the phrase "If you can't lick 'em in the alley, you can't lick 'em on the ice", this plays well in the Center of the Universe(Toronto) but the rest of the hockey world may not buy into it.

Forum Member

Fans love it
    Love what? The fighting or the hockey?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Love what? The fighting or the hockey?
    Both fighting and hockey.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 03-30-2007 at 09:09 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Speaking of fighting ....

Quite the start to the Flames/Canucks game Iggy and Mitchell got into it at only 2:34 into the game. Fans seemed to enjoy it when it was all over. Ended up with 5 each, 2 other players got 2 each for roughing and 2 other players got 10 minute misconducts.

Seemed to get the Flames fired up, as they scored shortly afterward.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Quite the start to the Flames/Canucks game Iggy and Mitchell got into it at only 2:34 into the game. Fans seemed to enjoy it when it was all over. Ended up with 5 each, 2 other players got 2 each for roughing and 2 other players got 10 minute misconducts.

Seemed to get the Flames fired up, as they scored shortly afterward.
    Fans LOVED IT. They were going crazy. Bloody Canucks are down by one though right now. BOOOOO .

On another note. Did you see the Leafs game? Someone must of been so shocked the leafs were close too winning he went into arrest

Ryan

Thread Information