Thread: Chris Simon

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chris Simon

I was just starting to enjoy hockey again, and now we have a rash of fighting and violence that conjurs memories of the old days of Ted Lindsay and Dave Schultz.

Ted Nolan whines that Chris Simons 25 game suspension for Attempted Beheading too harsh. Too harsh? He said that Simon wsa suffering from a "concussion" and didn't know what he was doing. C'mon!

He got hit cleanly by Hollweig, albeit a hard check. He got up, looked for Hollweig, made eye contact, adjusted his grip and delivered a perfect strike to Hollweig's jaw. Heis fortunate that he did not seriously injure or kill Hollweig.

If he wanted to exact some revenge, be a man, drop your gloves and challenge him to a fight. But a blind sided sucker strike with a big stick is nothing less than assault.

IMHO, he, and anyone else who uses a stick as a weapon, should be banned from hockey. And I hope the Nassau County DA steps in and charges this goon. (Yes, he is a goon. He has a hx. of multiple suspensions for violence).

Forum Member

Things haven't changed much since the day when Wayne Maki of the St. Louis Blues fractured the skull of Teddy Green of the Boston Bruins on Sptember 21, 1969.

Green attempted to check Maki, which ticked him off.

Maki used his hockey stick like an axe and whacked Teddy Green on the top of his skull with enough force to break the stick and send bone chips into Green's brain. Green required two operations to repair the damage, was paralyzed on his left side and eventually regained the use of his left side and returned to hockey.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Professional sports has had a serious problem for many years that they still have not adressed and that is violence. The sad factor is that the youth who see this think that is the way to act out aggression. When the various sports agencies, the owners and the players themselves put an end to this madness then it might get to be a real sports program. Unfortunately too many adults seem to attend sports events to see such fighting as much as they are there for the event itself.

MembersZone Subscriber

I almost forgot...

POTVIN SUCKS!

Forum Member

POTVIN SUCKS!
    Whew, had me worried there for a second.

While I was surprised at the length of the suspension, I don't disagree with it. It was a deliberate attack. I doubt the DA will get involved though.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I think Hollweg got what he deserved. That guy is a complete and total pest,just like his little cohort in team Sean Avery. Both of them do not even deserve too play in the NHL. They posess not one little bit of talent,both complete weasels,head hunters,and pick who they go after,usually with the same amount of class as Darcy Tucker had going after young Patrick Eaves. They're Pathetic. The hit on Simon was dirty and totally from behind. My Question. Wheres the hit from behind penalty on Hollweg.So what if Hollweg was on the ice after nearly being decapatated, he can still get a penalty. SOOOO Infact Simon very well could have been shaken up and not known what he was doing. I've played Hockey 17 years and taken some wicked hits and got up and didn't even know I was in the arena let alone what I was doing. My opinion, he got what he had coming too him. If Simon didn't do it someone else would have. Just my two cents
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 03-15-2007 at 06:29 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I have to strongly disagree with the last post, there is no place in hockey for what Simon did and I don't care if he was dazed from an illegal hit. Although I would disagree with George (me thinks his Ranger Blue is shining through a little) on the legality of the hit by Hollweg it in no way justifies what can simply be described as a brutal, unwarranted act. I don't care how long you have played hockey (I have played over 40 years), there is never and never will be justification for assaulting another player! Plain and simple.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by manofire2 View Post
    I have to strongly disagree with the last post, there is no place in hockey for what Simon did and I don't care if he was dazed from an illegal hit. Although I would disagree with George (me thinks his Ranger Blue is shining through a little) on the legality of the hit by Hollweg it in no way justifies what can simply be described as a brutal, unwarranted act. I don't care how long you have played hockey (I have played over 40 years), there is never and never will be justification for assaulting another player! Plain and simple.
    I agree assuslting a player is never justified. I guess my hate on Hollweg and Avery came out a little strong in that one. I too honestly do not beleive that choosing too try and mutulate Hollwegs head was not his best choice in actions. Thankfully all he came out of it with was a busted up lip and probably a sore mouth. I myself can attest, and I'm sure Mr.forty year vet here can that when someone hit you cheapley your first thought when you get up is I'm going too kill that SOB. I myself have come close after deliberately being cross checked in the jaw(multiple times),high sticked,hit from behind,ducked on,kneed in the mouth after I fell or hell even when someone injures a teamate too doing things that are just as bad or worse as this. Its pure instinct. Sadly Simon acted on this instinct and now a descent players image will be tarnished for good because some little cheeseball who hit him from behind.

Only reason this is a big deal. Simple. He plays in the NHL. If this was the Minors,Europe,CHL,Junior Leagues(beleive me I've seen the things people are suspended for first hand,never makes the news) or whatever other league. Nobody would care. Look at the AHL for instance with the Perozoghen(sp??) Incident. You see it on the news one day. After that nobody hears a thing he gets a little suspension and fine. Thats it. The guy he hit in the same fashion was going into bloody convulsions on the ice. With Simon its like well lets put him in jail,kick em out of the NHL,Make em pay hollweg and frig while we're at it we might as well publically stone em. Its total crap.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    I think Hollweg got what he deserved. That guy is a complete and total pest,just like his little cohort in team Sean Avery. Both of them do not even deserve too play in the NHL. They posess not one little bit of talent,both complete weasels,head hunters,and pick who they go after,usually with the same amount of class as Darcy Tucker had going after young Patrick Eaves. They're Pathetic. The hit on Simon was dirty and totally from behind. My Question. Wheres the hit from behind penalty on Hollweg.So what if Hollweg was on the ice after nearly being decapatated, he can still get a penalty. SOOOO Infact Simon very well could have been shaken up and not known what he was doing. I've played Hockey 17 years and taken some wicked hits and got up and didn't even know I was in the arena let alone what I was doing. My opinion, he got what he had coming too him. If Simon didn't do it someone else would have. Just my two cents
    I've played Hockey 17 years and taken some wicked hits and got up and didn't even know I was in the arena let alone what I was doing.

That is glaringly obvious.

The hit was not from behind, it was from the side. Look at the replay. That is why there was no penalty.

Even if the hit was from behind, retaliating with your stick is acceptable?

Your attitude represents everything that is wrong with hockey.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    I agree assuslting a player is never justified. I guess my hate on Hollweg and Avery came out a little strong in that one. I too honestly do not beleive that choosing too try and mutulate Hollwegs head was not his best choice in actions. Thankfully all he came out of it with was a busted up lip and probably a sore mouth. I myself can attest, and I'm sure Mr.forty year vet here can that when someone hit you cheapley your first thought when you get up is I'm going too kill that SOB. I myself have come close after deliberately being cross checked in the jaw(multiple times),high sticked,hit from behind,ducked on,kneed in the mouth after I fell or hell even when someone injures a teamate too doing things that are just as bad or worse as this. Its pure instinct. Sadly Simon acted on this instinct and now a descent players image will be tarnished for good because some little cheeseball who hit him from behind.

Only reason this is a big deal. Simple. He plays in the NHL. If this was the Minors,Europe,CHL,Junior Leagues(beleive me I've seen the things people are suspended for first hand,never makes the news) or whatever other league. Nobody would care. Look at the AHL for instance with the Perozoghen(sp??) Incident. You see it on the news one day. After that nobody hears a thing he gets a little suspension and fine. Thats it. The guy he hit in the same fashion was going into bloody convulsions on the ice. With Simon its like well lets put him in jail,kick em out of the NHL,Make em pay hollweg and frig while we're at it we might as well publically stone em. Its total crap.

Begs the question....

If Simon felt so strongly about being wronged, why didn't he act like a MAN and drop the gloves? He was clearly much bigger than Hollweig and is known as a fighter. At least he was....

Forum Member

Only reason this is a big deal. Simple. He plays in the NHL.
    Yup. Cuz they are supposed to know better. NHL is supposed to be above the playground level.

I think Hollweg got what he deserved.
    Back out all you want, but that is the most pathetic statement I've ever "heard" a human say.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I've played Hockey 17 years and taken some wicked hits and got up and didn't even know I was in the arena let alone what I was doing.

That is glaringly obvious.

The hit was not from behind, it was from the side. Look at the replay. That is why there was no penalty.

Even if the hit was from behind, retaliating with your stick is acceptable?

Your attitude represents everything that is wrong with hockey.

Last edited by RoughRider; 03-16-2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: being silly.... Its friday
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOdGM...elated&search=

Hope this works. Decide for yourself, is it a hit from behind? I think it was but the bottom line is whether Hollweg was guilty of an illegal hit is totally irrelevent. Simon's actions stand on there own and I have to agree with George, if Simon felt he was fouled and the refs missed it then settle things the way they always have in hockey, drop the gloves and go at it.

The attack on Hollweg was vicious and cowardly and the video shows that.

Forum Member

If that hit was from the side why was Simon facing the bloody boards when he got it. Its from behind plain and simple. He got em right on the one.Last time I checked thats hitting from behind or at least boarding. Yes I did contradict what I said in the first place, by first saying he got what he deserved. That was harsh yes I know.Nobody deserves too have that happen too them.

As for those passing judgements on me for that comment and especially Georges little line. None of you know me,know anything about me nor probably will you ever, so please don't judge me over that. I said something harsh, I know it, and I was expressing my feelings at that time. Obviously things have changed. Call it backing out or whatever you want I don't really care. You thoughts on me really don't affect how I'm going too go about living.

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post

POTVIN SUCKS!

Forum Member

expressing my feelings at that time
    and so was Simon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    and so was Simon.
    Well thankfully I didn't try to e-behead you guys.

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's an editorial that speaks volumes about how the NHL is screwing up by allowing fighting and goons back into the game. I agree completely.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ien&id=2790395

Forum Member

About a month ago a Vancouver radio station did a poll on the Steve Moore, Todd Bertuzzi incident. This was when Bertuzzi chase Moore down the ice and sucker punched him from behind. Then slammed his head into the ice, effectively ending his NHL career. A third of the callers blamed Moore! Personally I think Bertuzzi should be gone. You want to stop fighting in the NHL, minimum 5 game suspension if you fight, 10 game if you are the instigator. Teams fined 50,000, 100,000 respectively. Of course the owners donít have the balls to implement this. Rather go watch my local hockey team the National Hooligan League.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Forum Member

I think there should be a penalty for instagating yes but not a suspension,depending on the circumstances. Theres many circumstances for which an instagator penalty shouldn't result in suspension. For instance, an opponent deliberatly runs a goalie,or deliberaty injures a teammate,i.e.Simon. You should not get a suspension for going after him and getting him too fight you. Thats total crap if your going too give someone a 10 game suspension for sticking up for teammates. No wonder the owners won't go for it. I think if that happens there'd be more injuries like Hollwegs or anyone else because the guys whos job it is too defend teammates would be scared too go out and do it. I do think if your going out and deliberately trying too hurt someone in a fight or what have you than hell yes give em a suspension. But not every instaging fighting major penalty deserves a suspension.

As for Bertuzzi "deliberately smashing moores face off the ice". Are you kidding me. You find a buddy of yours who 240 + pounds. Go to the rink and get him too chase you down,grab you,punch you in the head and then come back and tell you both of you aren't going too fall. The face came because Moore obviously fell and so did Bert. I think most of his injury came because he had 1 240+ guy fall on him,followed by 4 or 5 other 200+ pound men when they all dog piled him. I'm not trying too stick up for Bert but I don't think he deliberately smashed his face off the ice and definately didn't do that with intentions of breaking his neck

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ShuswapFireF View Post
    About a month ago a Vancouver radio station did a poll on the Steve Moore, Todd Bertuzzi incident. This was when Bertuzzi chase Moore down the ice and sucker punched him from behind. Then slammed his head into the ice, effectively ending his NHL career. A third of the callers blamed Moore! Personally I think Bertuzzi should be gone. You want to stop fighting in the NHL, minimum 5 game suspension if you fight, 10 game if you are the instigator. Teams fined 50,000, 100,000 respectively. Of course the owners donít have the balls to implement this. Rather go watch my local hockey team the National Hooligan League.
    That's the problem, the only people who want to end fighting in hockey are real hockey fans. The NHL is more interested in marketing and they apparently believe that putting fighting back in will get them their national TV contract.

The people who want fighting in the game are the same stupid hooligans who believe that Bertuzzi and Simon are innocent. Oh my, look. We have one here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    The people who want fighting in the game are the same stupid hooligans who believe that Bertuzzi and Simon are innocent. Oh my, look. We have one here.
    I know thats about me. So I'm going too clear up that one. I don't agree with what Bertuzzi did one bit. I agree with the suspension he got. I was clearly stating too him that Bertuzzi yes did go out and deliberately sucker punch Moore. Thats a proven fact. I was saying though that he didnt go out with intentions of breaking his neck or "smashing his face" off the ice as Shuswap put it. But once again I'm the ***** in this whole deal because I'm not saying what you want too hear. So I guess if you want too call me a "stupid hooligan" even though I don't think they were right in what they did(yes I did say what I said about simon earlier in this thread) then so be it.

Theres what now a days 1.5 fighting majors per game,if that. Look at when Bob Probert,Rob Ray,Tie Domi and all those types came into the game. It was constant fighting. A good scrap in a game never hurts anything,except your knuckles
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 03-18-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Ryan

Forum Member

Fighting is a part of hockey, it always has been, it always will be. What they really need to get rid of is the instagater penalty.

Also another thing they need is a Canadian running the league, and more teams in real hockey markets and less in these sunbelt cities where no one cares about hockey.
    www.firehall.com - check it out

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterkid View Post
    Fighting is a part of hockey, it always has been, it always will be. What they really need to get rid of is the instagater penalty.

Also another thing they need is a Canadian running the league, and more teams in real hockey markets and less in these sunbelt cities where no one cares about hockey.
    Agreed on that much Doug ole boy

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterkid View Post

If they are real hockey markets, why can't they sell tickets?

Thread Information