MembersZone Subscriber

Default Regional SCBA grants

Hey all,

Does anyone have any examples of regional SCBA grants successful or unsuccessful they would be willing to share? If so, please contact or email to me at jhprice3@msn.com.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothin' out there huh? Just trying to keep this from falling off the first page.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

To be honest not much difference between an individual SCBA app approach and a regional, except that you have to answer why the whole region needs new SCBA instead of one department. Other than that, new SCBA is new SCBA.

Forum Member

regional scba request from what i hear are not an adviseable request, actually its kind of silly if you ask me. Apply for your own department, just come to an agreement with your counterparts about which brand to get. It really doesn't matter anymore anyway, the majority of airpacks are interchangeable.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

A fireground is only as safe as the most unsafe condition. So in areas where 2-5 departments are on the same auto m/a calls, what good does it do for only 1 or two to have good SCBA? If only those two have RIT & buddy breathing connections, how do they perform RIT operations safely with the others involved? The condition doesn't improve with 1 department being awarded, same argument with communications applications. Same reason there were several regional SCBA and PPE awards in 2006. It can be done, but still has to be the right project for the right region for the right reasons, just like any other grant application.

MembersZone Subscriber

Jim,
    I'm no expert, but I did have success for a regional SCBA/Turnout Gear/Training grant for a rural county next to us. When I get back to the office I'll email you the narrative. One down side is FPS reduced the award amount by almost $100K. I guess they saw something I didn't.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks BC79er and chief47,

We are approaching this as a regional grant due to the fact we are an isolated rural county and rely heavily upon each other for mutual aid. We all have limited resources, especially personnel. We have identified this as our biggest interoperable issue as well as the biggest issue facing the majority of the departments in our area. We range from one department with survivair MK II's, another with scott 2.2's, to one with survivair high pressure panthers.

I appreciate your help, we have written a couple successful grants, but I am having a serious brain lock on how to tie everyone together.

Jim

MembersZone Subscriber

firechief47- I am in a rural county and am considering a turnout/SCBA w/ training type grant as none of our gear is compliant and most is >10 years old. If you could forward me a copy of that narrative I would be most appreciative. Congrats on your success.

fire.ems.chief@stjohnks.net

Thread Information