Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Cool marking doors on search and rescue?

does anyone have good ideas as to what to use to mark room doors after a room has been search...is there something made that is quick and easy for a quick marking on door entries....if so were do u get it....thanks

Default I have no clue if this will work but....

They make incredibly large sharpies and permanent markers. They are really thick and might work. Speed would be a plus but visibility might be in question. You may be able to carry a roll of reflective tape. Hook it to your pants and rip off a good size piece and slap it on the door. I have no training on search and rescue, but these things just came to me.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by mickster View Post
    does anyone have good ideas as to what to use to mark room doors after a room has been search...is there something made that is quick and easy for a quick marking on door entries....if so were do u get it....thanks

A lot of stuff on the market to do this. Go to a fire suppler or uniform type place they should have them. Do a search on google or the fire store or anyother ad in main page of the web site here.

They have things like they use at motels that hang on the door knob cheap and works good.

Another thing is to go by a tire store. See if they have some old inter tubes that they are thowing away. Get them, cut them around the bias and use them at markers too. Plenty use still there with the old tubes.

Just some quick thoughts for you.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

we use old inner tubes. cut them so they kinda look like a mask that you would put over your eyes with two holes in it. when you go into the room put this over both door handles and it holds the locking mechanism in so you don't have to worry about being locked in the room. when you get done with that room put the half that faces into the room on the otherside so the are both on the outside door handle.

MembersZone Subscriber SWLAFireDawg's Avatar

I use a lumber marker/crayon which is available from any old hardware store. It is pretty much wax, but if a room is on fire you likely won't be searching that room for victims so the marking stays. I put an X on the door.......one line of the X as I enter, the completre the X as I exit and shut the door. The crayons are only a couple dollars and fit nicely in the bunker gear pocket. This method is pretty much straight out of the essentials training manual.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've been talking about this at my Department lately. I've heard the methods described here before and have used to various degrees of sucsess and failure. What I'm looking for now is a way to get all of the local Departments together to decide upon one system.

We are just doing so much mutual aide and border crossing that I want everyone on my scene to be using or familiar with the same system, not just the guys on my Department.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you might want to look at what your neighboring Departments are doing and tryu to copy their system if they have one in place.

Good Luck and Stay Safe
    Scott

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Default Chalk

plain old white/yellow sidewalk chalk. Won't mark the door permanently. Is light enough to carry a few sticks in bunker gear. Easy to handle with structural gloves on.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber SWLAFireDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    plain old white/yellow sidewalk chalk. Won't mark the door permanently. Is light enough to carry a few sticks in bunker gear. Easy to handle with structural gloves on.
    I like that one......I may change myself...and it won't melt in your pocket!

I used to carry sidewalk chalk in my pocket until it gets wet. Then it's a big gummy mess.

I use the big lumber crayons now. Works good.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I have a few of those bright orange door tags. However they're usually the last thing on my mind when performing a search, and I forget all about them.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IowaFFandEMT View Post
    we use old inner tubes. cut them so they kinda look like a mask that you would put over your eyes with two holes in it. when you go into the room put this over both door handles and it holds the locking mechanism in so you don't have to worry about being locked in the room. when you get done with that room put the half that faces into the room on the otherside so the are both on the outside door handle.
    thats what we used in my fire academy.. worked pretty good..

Thread Information