Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Memphis Hiring a lot of medics

Memphis is hiring. If you are a medic and you want a job at a large municipality who runs a lot of medical and fire calls, apply. I just got hired and am in my second week of the academy. The latest I heard was the city is down 92 medics and our class is only 22. If you can do the math that means they are planning to hire a lot more. The process to get hired was not too difficult, consisting of the application, a medical, civil service written, and a physical agility test including a one-mile run in under 12 minutes and some very basic stations. Starting pay is 44.5K as a recruit. If anyone would like any info hit up the city of Memphis website, or ask me questions, I would be happy to try to answer any that I can.

Forum Member

Where the FF/medics assigned? Engine? Truck? On an Ambulance forever? Whats wrong with the system? Why are there so few paramedics. Background info please

MembersZone Subscriber

You would work 12 hours on the ambulance and 12 on either the pumper or truck at any one of the 33 stations that have an ambulance (there are 57 stations total). From what I hear you are more likely to be placed on a truck. It is difficult for the city to find medics, last application period only netted 22 qualified candidates. I guess people don't want to work for a busy department. The new strickly fire recruitment process that is going on right now will require all those hired as of now to be a medic within three years. This will help squash the problems of hiring medics.

Forum Member

So you work a 24 and half way through switch rigs. Thats kinda cool

Forum Member

I was in medic class w/ a guy that got a job down there (I think.) Dipzinski ring a bell?? I was also working w/ a guy one day about a month ago and he turned down the job offer for memphis. Said he couldnt walk away from his current job and take that big a pay cut. He aslo said he didnt even have to take the written. They called him the day before and said that w/ his qualifications (medic, already worked for Lexington, KY in the past ect...) they were willing to offer him a job pending medical. Sounds tempting, but I havent heard much good about the actual city itself. Not knocking it, just wish I knew more about it.
    Last edited by Bluecup; 03-14-2007 at 08:20 PM.

Forum Member

Yeah whats the city like?

Forum Member

Wasn't it in Memphis where the Firefighter recruit went into a coma during the academy ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya, Dipsinski is in my class, I just went down to Beale St. and a Grizzlies game with him. So far I like the city. The downtown seems pretty nice, Beale St. is a blast and we have an brand new stadium right off Beale St. and a minor league baseball stadium pretty close next to it. Fantastic night life and events. I live in east memphis, which is pretty nice. There are some pretty bad areas in the city, but if there wasn't I wouldn't have much to do on the job, that's why I came here, to be busy. Lot of fires to catch. If anyone wants to sit around the station and watch TV most the day, this might not be the spot. The department has been transitioning to a better EMS system in the last couple years and has some work to do, but they are determined to be a leader in EMS within a few years, or so I've been told.
    Yes, the application process is very easy and I was offered a job before I did anything except put in an app. Of course the job was pending on a medical, background, and physical test. Cost of living isn't too bad so the 45.5K plus perks works for a single guy like myself.
    I don't know much about Hell night and the recruit who went into a coma. I don't even want to speculate. They no longer take recruits over 35 yrs old, he was 41. I can tell you that I haven't felt too overworked at all yet, but its only the second week. I have a stong feeling I won't be required to take part in any hell night, due to all the backlash and lawsuit that came out of it.
    Any more questions I'll would be happy to answer. I was trying very hard not to long ago to get a job, and now that I have one I am here to help.

Forum Member

ufdfighter... i wasn't sure if it was there or somewhere else, i knew it was in tennessee though. When you got hired that fast.. is that because of paramedic? Or do people get hired that quickly for the standard Firefighter position as well? I have a good bit of experience and certifications, EMT-B, but not paramedic, any info on that?

Forum Member

Ok. just to clear things up for me a bit. You basically got to bypass the written, physical agility, and interview process? Are you folks (medics that are being hired) going to actually get to work as firefighters or are you going to be thrown onto ambulances for eternity. I ask because a dept close to where I live hired a ton of medics almost on the spot as firefighter/paramedics, however as soon as they started the only purpose they served was as paramedics and pretty much got shunned by everyone else. I am very interested in memphis fire and I am a paramedic, however what you are saying almost seems to good to be true :-).
    Please shed some light.

MembersZone Subscriber

It in not nearly as easy to get a job as a basic firefighter. First you have to wait for a test and they just had one after seven years, so who knows when they will have another one. Also you are competing with about 3,000 or so others. I couldn't tell you to medic school and apply because I don't know what the hiring for medics would look like after a year or two.
    I did do a physical agility test, but it was by no means difficult. The written test was civil service with no medical questions and since they were planning on hiring all of us, it was only to be used for ranking purposes. When I get out of class I expect to spend a lot of time on the ambulance, but once staffing levels get situated you will split shift on the truck most likely and the ambulance. Like I said all fire recruits that are to be hired as of now will be required to gain a medic license in three years. As far as being shunned, thats up to you. If you act like a whinny medic on shift and think you are better than the first responders and EMTs you will be shunned, but if you excell at the fireground operations and are fun to have around the house, you can make it worthwhile.
    No fire department is without flaws, but if your interested in a solid job and want to stay busy you might want to check it out.

MembersZone Subscriber

If any medics are interested I heard a rumor that is true. MFD is offering a $10,000 signing bonus to Paramedic/ Firefighters. Its outlined at http://www.memphistn.gov/pdf_forms/F...obPosting2.pdf

Sounds like a lot of money, and your probably wondering why they would need to do this. I would assume the reason for this signing bonus is that all Fire recruits to be hired from now on will be required to go to Paramedic school and have their liscense in three years. The city would much rather have more medics in the next class so they don't have to put as many firefighters through medic school, which would cost a lot of money for class and pay. Plus, they need medics now.

I am six weeks through the academy right now, so I know a little bit, ask me any more questions if you want.

Forum Member

UFD, my background so you know where I am coming from, I have a pretty nice career job now it's just not a large municipality. I want to work for a large city I just want to make sure it's a good one to go to. Usually if they are hurting for medics there is a reason for it. So what are the benefits, salary (top out) overtime opportunities, work schedule, days off like. I know you're new so you might not know all of this. Also what is the cost of living compared to the salary.

Some things I have heard is you have to live in memphis. Do you have to live in slums in order to survive?

Morale of the department if you're able to know yet.

What is the retirement like, years of service vs. what percentage?

MembersZone Subscriber

All I write hear is what I know to the best of my knowledge, but since I am new, it's all what I hear. From what I hear they are revamping the recently lacking EMS system here in memphis. They established a bunch of new positions and made a new EMS command stucture. These new positions took from the ranks and left the already depleted units even more depleted. Also, the rumor was that we are supposed to get 10 new units to make 43 total. It seems to me that medics are hard to come by here since the last application period only netted 21 qualified applicants. Salary starts at $44,524.96, 3+ years it's $52,127.14. 13 holidays paid at the end of the year. I think its also something like 3% extra for two years of school, and 8% for 4 years. 9 vacation days per year. Schedule is 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 4 days off. Cost of living seems great, but I am not from the south, so I don't know how it compares. You have to live in Shelby county, which has places like germantown and cordova which are much more upper class than South memphis. I live in East memphis and it is pretty far from being ghetto. Everybody seems like they love the department. They see lots of fire and lots of EMS runs, if thats what your interested in. All I know about the retirement is that its at 25 years of service.
    Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

MFD is offering a $10,000 signing bonus to Paramedic/ Firefighters.

I fell on my *** after reading that.

Forum Member

Do you know when they are planning on holding the next testing? I have been interested in Memphis FD for a while now, and that kind of incentive might be what the "Mrs" needs to let me fly down and test.

Forum Member

Another thing I was wondering about on the EMS side. Is MFD the sole 911 provider for the area? If so is that all that they handle or do they also do the non-emergent: hospital-hospital, hospital-nursing home, etc. transfers, or is there private services that handle those kinds of things?

MembersZone Subscriber

I would imagine that there is a private service for transports, i've never heard of large city fire depts doing them.

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by CFerd20 View Post
    I would imagine that there is a private service for transports, i've never heard of large city fire depts doing them.
    Umm...lots of large cities do them. Milwaukee Fire does plenty. While there are four private services to handle the bulk of the BS, and there is plenty of that, they do a huge amount of transports a year. And there are many other cities that do it too.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

the 4-1-4

Umm...lots of large cities do them.

is that all that they handle or do they also do the non-emergent: hospital-hospital, hospital-nursing home, etc. transfers, or is there private services that handle those kinds of things?
    I think the question was on non-emergency interfacility transports, based on this earlier quote I provided.
    Many large departments provide transports based on 911 originated calls, but don't do interfacility.
    Sorry for sticking my nose in.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rural Metro will handle transfers as well and some minor calls. MFD won't do any interfacility transfers from what I understand.

Forum Member

UFD..do you know when they plan to hold the next test? How long did it take from the time you submitted your app until you were starting academy? If you get a chance and can send me PM that would be great, I have a few more questions for you if ya don't mind.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just an update. From what I recently heard from a very reputable source is the one and only class from this application period will be in July and be made up of only medics. The Firefighter/EMT class will probably be in October.

Permanently Removed

Default hey UFD

i work as a paramedic in the city of cleveland. we average 90,000 911 calls a year and we run 18 units. i applied before the signing bonus was offered. i have also worked part time for some small area departments. cleveland is the most povern city in america and it seems like everybody wants to be a friefighter now with all the manufacturing jobs leaving town. did you work for a large municipality before you were hired in memphis, is experience in a 911 service a big plus, please let me know i am dying to get out of ohio before i get stuck in the vortex here

MembersZone Subscriber

if hired how long are you going to do 12/12 shifts, is there any # of years that you are required to do medic duty? Then can you go to basic status or be permenant on the pumper?
    I wouldn't want to jump 1/2 way through shifts if I was 50 yo.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... Last

Thread Information