Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Can someone please explain Goodfellow to me?

I have been reading the forums on the courses and the training blocks and all of this and personally this stuff sounds rough. i leave april 16th for lackland and then on to goodfellow thereafter. can someone tell me what i have gotton myself into..

not that i am worried or anything

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

honestly, I would not worry about it. Lackland will PT you enough that you will be in shape for Tech School. No worries, you'll be fine, don't get scared of all the posts.

Forum Member

i am a career firefighter medic now... just needed a change and figured the air force was a good career move. i did JROTC in high school so I came in as an E-3. I just don't know what to expect and the differences between civilivan and military firefighting

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have only worked military firefighting [so far] so I couldn't honestly tell you the difference, but there are a plethora of ex-military/now civ firefighters that regularly post in here that could give you accurate info. Good luck in basic and tech school.

MembersZone Subscriber puntorotary's Avatar

Goodfellow is no joke,its 3 months of intense schooling,most of it is cram type learning,meaning they give you several chapters and then you test.For the first month its all classroom,after that it gets physical..very physical..lol.
    When i started at goodfellow i weighed 187 when i got thru i was down to 172,the school is challenging but fun and well worth it.You can get thru it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Depending on the situation I guess. I am a DOD civilian firefighter and it is like most other departments. I know a few who have been military firefighters and other than the military atmosphere there seems to be little difference there also.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

MembersZone Subscriber

Military v. civilian firefighting???? mmmmm.... The first big difference you're likely to see is that all DOD fire protection is subject to NFPA standards!!! Then, there's upgrade training, deployment training, and deployments.

I've never been to Goodfellow so I can't say what it's like (who remembers Chanute???)....but I'm sure it's hot in the summer. The school is very strict and you should expect to progress through various phases of personal liberty (restrictided to the base for a certain number of days, no alcohol during training, daily PT, etc.)

Good luck!!! It's all what you make it!!!

MembersZone Subscriber firedawg312's Avatar

you havent gotten yourself into anything bad. Goodfellow is as good/fun as you make it. youll be restricted to base for i beleive its now the first couple weeks. youll always have to be in uniform. then you can go to town in your blues for a couple weeks and then phase three is civies. each phase has a curfew. i dont remember what phase one is. phase two i skipped cause they changed the program and i was eligible for phase three and phase three is like midnight or something like that. just stay out of trouble and youll do fine. pt is every other day. unless theyve changed that. its not too bad. o and word of advice. Stay away from most of the INTEL squadrons. there always getting in trouble. when i was there they were restricted to bas like almost every weekend because alot of them were caught drinking under age, girls in there room. youll notice the girls dont hangout with them. also remember this. firefighters are all brothers. you need to stick together no matter what. not rat someone out to get one up on them. from what i understand after i left there( along with the entier Airman Leadership i.e red,yellow,green ropes) that went to ****. the ropes were looking to bust people just to get in good with the MTL's. it got to the point where the other ropes ratted out the red rope for something and got him demoted just so they could advance. the MTL's will try to push this crap but you gotta understand. they probally were not fire fighters. other than that good luck and have fun
    " IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN I CAN BLAME MY MISSPELLINGS ON MY PENCIL" -Larry The Cable Guy-

Forum Member

The training you will receive is top notch...from top notch intructors....its no joke, but its fun as all hell...

Forum Member

It's one of the best fire academies in the country. All the training is accredited through IFSAC and it will give you a great foundation if you decide to go continue your career outside the military. I attended the older academy at Chanute AFB, Il and still to this day feel my military fire training and career development prepared me for my career in the civilian fire service.

As long as you don't grow a mangina and quit, you should do just fine. Study and work hard.

Thread Information