MembersZone Subscriber

Default CHART, now what?

I submitted my resume through CHART two days ago. What can I expect, a long wait? What is the expected wait time to hear something back?

I have visited the department to obtain information about them, should I look into contacting the Chief of the department?
    Last edited by Extinguisher911; 03-14-2007 at 03:37 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone????

Forum Member

You should do a fire station visit. Talk to the Chief and the guys on the floor. Guys on floor will tell you straight about the dept. Its good for the Chief to put a face with application. Bring a pen and paper and write down the info feedback. Drive around the base and get familiar with it. You will have a interview and you will be asked about the base and dept.
    Make sure when you visit. Bring something in hand for the guys on the floor. Dress appropriate (nice shirt, slacks or suit) not jeans, t-shirt and flip flops.
    As far as how long you have to wait. Depends on what position open up and your qualifications you are elgible for. So you are on the right track and visiting the FS and getting your face in there.
    Hope this helps..

Forum Member

Default Chart

You must remember to be considered, you have to first get refered. That is why it is so very important that your resume have all of the specific key words the chart looks for. In case your not familiar with this, basically your resume goes through a computerized grading system where it seeks out key words on your resume and then gives a score. If you score high enough, you get refered.

In regards to certs and training, you MUST put the number of hours for every cert. This WILL affect your score.

Thus, this is one of those rare occations where you want to make your resume as long and detailed as possible. Once you get reffered, as stated above, go to the base fire department and hand in a normal resume (1 page). Ask ?s about the department and what the base does. Most bases have online info as well.

After you get refered the chief selects his new hire based on a specific numerical score sheet. I believe it is 15 points for education, 25 for experience, 20 for certs and 40 for the interview. Often there is no interview, so the score is based on 60 points total, not 100.

Of course if the chief wants you, he can try to find a way to get you to the top of the list. I believe this called a name request.

I even confused myself with this post. Hope it helps.

K

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply's.

I am not familiar with the system, and there is not too much information out there to get to learn the hiring process. I didn't even know about the job until someone told me about it.

As I have stated, I visited the firehouse, spoke with the shift crew, and got many of my questions answered. I however was unable to meet the chief of the department. Following my visit, I completed the resume with CHART, I think it was 5.5 pages long. The crew said the same thing about making it long and detailed, describing everything you have done.

Once submitted, there is not much that tells you what is going on. So I am not sure what to expect in the remainder of the process. I just wish there was more information out there. Getting a civvy FD job, there is a ton of information out there, as well as many people to talk to. The crews said they are down 5 FF's and are filling that with OT. By the end of the year due to retirements they will be down 15 if no hiring is done.

I found the number for the chief, I will give him a call and set up a meeting with him. I know chief's can be quite busy, stopping in is not always the best thing. Shift crews are another matter.

Thanks for the help, if anyone has more let me know...

MembersZone Subscriber

Submitted your resume to DON to apply for DON0081, FIRE CHIEF / FIREFIGHTER / FIRE PROTECTION INSPECTOR / SPEC .

7 days now, this is the only information that this thing spits out besides an automated email letting me know they got my app. Working for the government now, I should expect that things move like molasses on a cold day.

Forum Member

Ok, so your on the right track. 0081 DON under open continuous. I assume you know that to qualify for open continuous jobs, you must either be a fulltime federal employee or at least you used to be, or a veteran or a college student. You can enroll in a college course if you need too (part time does count). Also, be sure to check your resume status online. It takes several weeks.

K

MembersZone Subscriber

I am currently a federal/government employee. I work for the US Postal Service and I am also former Air Force.

I did not realize that it would take a few weeks, I thought I would get more updates on the website. It is good to know however that it takes a long time.

Forum Member

Already being a federal employee should give you an advantage. Since non federal employees cannot even put in for open continuous, your compitition is very low. I would guess there are even bases that cannot fill the positions. Former Air Force? Do you have veterans points? If you do, walk into any base you want and say "when can I start". Vets go to the top of the list. always.

Make sure you select a base that is not going to close down or down size. Air Force is looking to lay off 100's of firefighters. Navy, watch out becuase they too are looking to down size. Your best move is to select a Marine base. They are pro fire and going to paramedic services at all bases. Army bases are also good.

Just curious, what are the areas you would work at?

K

MembersZone Subscriber

I am looking at Great Lakes Naval Base. I visited them a few weeks ago to see their operations. Being already 5 FF's down, and more to follow this year with retirements I am hoping to get in. I am quite familiar with the process of getting hired with a civilian FD, but when it comes to getting hired by GLFD, I am a fish outta' water. So I am here to figure out the process. It seems however that each department does things their own way.

I was hoping to find the Chief's email, but all I found was a number. I am planning to call there to set up a meeting with him in the next few weeks. I know he can't do anything until my resume gets through the CHART system.

Yes, I have the veterans preference points.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am guessing that the CHART program is checking my resume for keywords as people have said here. After that is it forwarded to a human being to check/call my former employers or something? How do I know it has made it past the CHART computer program and on to a warm body? I would also imagine that before my info reaches the Chief of the department I will know that too?

Still nothing under the status column in CHART. I wrote around 7400 characters about me being a firefighter for the last 4 years... Should have hit some key words there somewhere.
    Last edited by Extinguisher911; 03-20-2007 at 07:41 AM.

Forum Member

Default Extinguisher911

I might actually know someone that works at Great Lakes. His last name is Marsillio (spelling is wrong, but it is pronounce Mar-Sil-E-O) and he is a Captain. Very easy going guy. Back to your chart stuff. Its real simple, by the time your resume goes through the computer, HR and finally to the chief, it can take about 90 days. I will tell you this, if the chief is looking to hire you, he will almost always send you a personal email. Usually it will ask if your still interested. If you reply back with a yes, then HR will normally call with the offer later on. In my past experiences, the offer from HR can take an additional several months. Your a Vet, so the job should be a guarantee.

If you are doubting your resume, send me your email. I can forward you a copy of my chart resume. That way you can make comparisons.

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

Kev,

you can get in touch with me at extinguisher911@sbcglobal.net, I can also send you a copy of my resume.

If you make changes or updates to your resume, do you have to resubmit for the job or does the program always look at your current resume that is in the system?

Well at least I have a better idea of timeline. Does CHART notify you as your resume progresses through the steps? Under status, there is still nothing new.
    Last edited by Extinguisher911; 03-21-2007 at 06:09 AM.

Forum Member

Hi:

So sorry, but for whatever reason I cannot log into my email from work. I will send you my resume on friday morning. Also, please send me a copy of yours.

Yes, when you update your resume, the changes are done automatically and you do not need to resubmit it.

Not sure about the chart updates. Some Navy departments will just send you status updates in the mail.

Remember, by fed fire standards, it is still very early. Your resume is in and that is a good thing. Go to the station and mingle with the guys. Ask ?'s and let them see your face. Meeting the Chief is another must. They will all like you for your determination.

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber

Well that is a relief to hear, I started getting worried about not seeing any updates to my submission. Kev, when I get your email I will get mine out to you.

Thread Information