Thread: "elk" Road?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking "elk" Road?

Got this in email this morn....

This is the actual turnoff from Banff to the # 1 highway to Calgary.
    Great picture isn't it? They had to build the animals (especially the elk) their own crossing because that was where the natural crossing was and after the highway was built there were far too many accidents. I understand it didn't take the animals long to learn that this was their "road .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Very cool. Apparently someone finally figured out that the animals had a given pathway and accomodated them.

Forum Member

What was that bit Bill Engvall said when he took his wife hunting and she asked why there were "Deer Xing"signs because she knew deer couldn't read?
    "No,honey but they do recognize pictures of themselves."

Forum Member

That's a pretty neat sight. It almost looks fake.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Man, we could use a couple of those for moose or Caribou over here....Neat pic.....

Saw a bunch of those suckers loitering around the railway tracks along the Bow River Parkway once (Castle Mountain??).....Saw a bunch of crows loitering around the railway tracks along the Bow River Parkway the next day.....
    A vomiting Firefighter is an ugly Firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    That's a pretty neat sight. It almost looks fake.
    Typically I would agree with you, however in this particular instance, I can't. I know that road very well, having put several hundred miles on it mysef. The elk and deer population is quite substantial and at various times of the year, especially in late summer, just around sunset..... all you see are glowing eyes in the headlights! I've driven through a few herds and its a wonder of life itself that I didnt hit anything, cuz I know I came close a few times. When the sun is setting and is at just the right height, you can't see them till its too late.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Typically I would agree with you, however in this particular instance, I can't. I know that road very well, having put several hundred miles on it mysef. The elk and deer population is quite substantial and at various times of the year, especially in late summer, just around sunset..... all you see are glowing eyes in the headlights! I've driven through a few herds and its a wonder of life itself that I didnt hit anything, cuz I know I came close a few times. When the sun is setting and is at just the right height, you can't see them till its too late.
    That's pretty sweet. You'll have to share more pictures
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Would love to. But its been better than 10 yrs since I last drove that road. And since its closer to you, in Ohio, than me in Virginia..... Although I do hope to be out that way again, sometime in the next few years. Maybe on my next trip home, whenever that happens to be.

MembersZone Subscriber

: window rolls down:

"Bang... Bang"

Doors open

two men get out

tailgate open

two elk are loaded into back

:tires screech:

Forum Member

Early deer season in western Kentucky is like that.
    When I drove a wheelchair bus for a cab company in Paducah,one of my collateral duties was to go to where a driver was in a wreck and take pictures for the boss.
    The first deer season I was there,I got REAL good seeing where it was a real deer vs Ford Crown Vic collision and where it was just a cabbie trying to stay awake at the wheel.
    One time it was the boss' wife who'd hit a deer and since the location was right by my house,I tried to get Boss to let me stop and pick up my unfilled deer tag.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Neat....................

My Wife and I had the good fortune to attend a special presentation of the Calgary Stampede, thanks to a High Ranking Canadian Military Officer. While there, I was talking with a guy who drove one of the big Tractor-Trailers that haul the Stampede gear, and he pointed out what they call "Moose Bars", large steel bar frames mounted on the front bumper, to protect the truck if it encounters a Elk or Moose in the road. Impressive.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Haven't you guys ever heard of hunting?

We would NOT have this problem where I'm from
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

That's not to say it never happens, however...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Haven't you guys ever heard of hunting?

We would NOT have this problem where I'm from
    Again, I would agree with you except that this is Banff National Park and hunting is strictly FORBOTTEN.

Thread Information