Thread: Wal-Mart Grants

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wal-Mart Grants

Does anyone have a status of the Wal-Mart grants that closed last October 31st?
    We applied and have not heard a word.
    Thank you.

Forum Member

It should be just as easy as contacting your local store manager and kindly asking them.

I believe that stuff goes through each individual store.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree, it should be that easy.

We were told they have not heard back on it.

That's why I asked on here to see if anyone else had a status.

Forum Member

Smile Status

We had heard back from our store community relations person and did end up recieving what we had asked for. I got the check from her in the end of November or first week of december.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thank you

Thanks, I guess we are either turned down or in never-neverland
    j

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Multitask View Post
    Thanks, I guess we are either turned down or in never-neverland
    j
    Unfortunately, we also received ours in early November so not sure if each Walmart does them individually, or at the same time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dobieg View Post
    Unfortunately, we also received ours in early November so not sure if each Walmart does them individually, or at the same time.
    Folks, Walmart's fiscal year starts in February, so mostyof the stores are now starting to accept applications for this year. If you had an old application go ask and then re-apply now and get in line.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Did a little research on this from my local store for those who might want to look at this. The rules seem to be, the department must be a 501.c.3 non profit, and monies are given out for the area served by that store. They have straight out grants and matching monies given out quarterly. Max amount of awards are $500.00. At least that is rules for TN.

MembersZone Subscriber

WJVUAGHN, not wanting to disagree with you here but, your store manager is misinformed ( I frequently encounter this on the local managerial level).

See quote below direct from Wal-Marts Corporate website:

Throughout the month of October, each of the U.S. Wal-Mart stores, Neighborhood Markets, SAM'S CLUBS and distribution centers nationwide are recognizing the efforts of their hometown fire, police, rescue and EMS teams with direct financial donations.

Wal-Mart's "Safe Neighborhood Heroes" grants will help many organizations obtain needed items or begin new programs that promote a safer community. Examples of what this year's program will help provide include:

-The care of two trained canine police dogs for the Metro Atlanta Regional Transportation Authority Police unit
    -A new drivers education course for local teens, created by the fire department of Parker, Colo. to promote safer driving
    -Smoke alarms for the Salem Fire Department to distribute to residents in Salem, N.H.
    -New equipment for the City of Gonzales Fire Department in Louisiana. Funds will help replace equipment worn from heavy use after the storms and help purchase additional equipment required to serve a now larger population.

These police departments and the City FDs are NOT 501(c3) non-profits. In the Safe Neighborhood Heroes Grant, it excludes anyone who is NOT a public safety agency and frankly. IME most public safety agencies are not non-profit organizations.

As an example I had over 10 agencies in my Nashville Seminar last year , several of which were from TN, that had recieved Walmart grants.

That store manager is mistakenly lumping the Safe Neighborhood Heroes grant into the other Community Support grants that they give to other non-profits in their areas. In fact I suspect that the reason Walmart came up with the SNH grant in the first place was specifically because their 501c3 requirement would have excluded most public safety agencies. The upside ot this is that those departments that are 501c3 non-profits have multiple opportunites at Walmart through applying to the Community Support grants also.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

WJVaughn:

Illinois has the same rules about the 501 3-C, but departments petitioned the stores and they waived the 501 3-C requirement. Many departments in our area do not have 501 3-C status and would have been excluded from getting funded per the community development liason. After a little persistance, our local Wal-Mart changed their view.

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thread Information