Question Policy on My space websites

We have recently encountered some new members posting pictures of themselves in fire gear, t-shirts and equipment on their my space websites. Some of the pictures are appropriate others are not. I know that some paid fire departments have a zero tolerance for my space sites. Does anyone have any policies in place for volunteer fire departments?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you don't have one, write one.
    It should probably go in the conduct or public representation of the department section.

As with other SOP/SOG's there needs to be follow-up if members do not abide by the rules.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

I don't really see a problem with any appropriate pictures... Tell them to take off inappropriate ones.

Forum Member

Consult an attorney before you do anything rash.

All you (may) have control over is how members display the department's uniquely identifiable name and other unique identifiers in public.

You can't reasonably tell them that they can't display something on a particular website (i.e. myspace) that they are allowed to publicly display anywhere else.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 03-15-2007 at 04:35 PM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

We're struggling with this at our FD. I personally have a myspace page, but it's very appropriate and really only mentions the FD in passing. I only have 1 or 2 pictures of me in any FD related stuff. We have many members with these pages. Unfortunatly we have one FF that stands out with all the whacker, hero, "I fight what you fear" nosense and other inappropriate stuff. I've tried to talk to him a few times about cleaning it up, with fears that the department will adopt a zero tolerance policy. I don't want to be punished for what someone else did. MySpace is all about who you are, and the FD is a part of me, It sucks that someone could ruin that for the rest of us. I'd be interested in hearing how others have dealt with this.

*RANT OFF*

http://www.myspace.com/mainegrizzrider

-Nick

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Consult an attorney before you do anything rash.

All you (may) have control over is how members display the department's uniquely identifiable name and other unique identifiers in public.

You can't reasonably tell them that they can't display something on a particular website (i.e. myspace) that they are allowed to publicly display anywhere else.
    That was my first thought! I purchase my own gear, it has no department markings on it, and I would laugh if somebody told me I couldn't wear my personally owned gear in a personal photo own my own website.

(Keep in mind I would never wear my gear in a photo to place on a website, as I don't care to ever be on a website)

Forum Member

Why do you have to buy your own gear? There is an OSHA standard that says the organization has to provide you with appropriate PPE.

Forum Member

I have to ask...what is the purpose of having a MySpace page anyway? Aren't real life friends better than "cyber" friends?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I have to ask...what is the purpose of having a MySpace page anyway? Aren't real life friends better than "cyber" friends?
    Well, i have one, and, although I don't use it or check it much at all anymore, all of my friends used to have one, and when we all checked it, it made it easier to leave someone a message about a party in the future, or something along those lines. I set up most of my 21st birthday through Myspace and had a good turnout of good friends that I've always known. Its just easier to send out a message to all your friends instead of calling 30 people.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Keep in touch with those you use to know.
    Like me for instance. I've moved a good amount latly but I still get to talk to my old friends VIA mypsace. not to mention I didn't know many people around here so met others online.. sadly lol met my current bf online as well. Not the smartest idea but I guess either way you go you're taking risks.

Forum Member

Ah, leaving messages and emails. Yes, that sounds much better than picking up the phone and talking to people in person.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Ah, leaving messages and emails. Yes, that sounds much better than picking up the phone and talking to people in person.
    I'm not a big vanity page and blog fan myself but, if you think about it, myspace (and all the other services just like it) aren't all that different from this forum (and all the other services just like it).

The format or organizational emphasis is different but they're both just forms of electronic networking to store and share ideas among friends/acquaintances.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 03-16-2007 at 01:28 PM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Our rules are simple. If you identify yourself as a member in any form or fashion, you have to represent yourself and the department in a good light. This includes stickers on your vehicles, t-shirts(where you wear a dept. shirt) and yes myspace pages. If you show any affiliation with the department then you must remove any questionable pics.

Also, use the myspace to investiagte perspective applicants before you hire them. You can learn alot about a person on there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 13Truck View Post
    Also, use the myspace to investiagte perspective applicants before you hire them. You can learn alot about a person on there.
    We've been doing that for a while now... It's a REAL eye opener!

Forum Member

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? heck, my FD has a myspace group. our sister station has a myspace group. some people (or many/most) have pictures of themselves in gear, in department attire, and other dept related stuff.

heck I have a picture of myself in my turnout gear on myspace. what's the big deal? do you prohibit members from wearing dept t-shirts in public? or saying they are members of the department on a resume?

if inappropriate stuff is being posted, then you should ask those members to remove it. but I don't think a blanket statement is the right way to go.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information