Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default SOG or SOP FOR ON SCENE PHOTOS OR VIDEO

I am looking for examples of other departments SOP or SOG for photos or video taken on scenes. Thanks for the help.

Forum Member

We have one -- don't take any unless it's from the camera mounted in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by ffrsw101 View Post
    I am looking for examples of other departments SOP or SOG for photos or video taken on scenes. Thanks for the help.
    Are you asking about people taking video like a bystander or the fd taking video?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am looking for a SOG or SOP that pertains to FD personnel. I want to have something in place so the photos or videos donít compromise any investigations or violate HIPA guidelines by landing in the wrong hands.

Forum Member

Here the PIO is responsible for all of the photos outside of the media.

Quote Originally Posted by ffrsw101 View Post
    I am looking for a SOG or SOP that pertains to FD personnel. I want to have something in place so the photos or videos donít compromise any investigations or violate HIPA guidelines by landing in the wrong hands.
    Simplest rule? Alll pictures taken from inside the fire line are the sole property of the FD.

As for HIPAA, what is your status as health care responders? HIPAA may or may not apply to you. You should find out.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

From most people that I have spoken with in other departments around the state (Indiana), this is the general rule, regardless of SOP/SOG. If the FD takes and video/photograpghs, if the photo's will be publicly viewing, you can NOT have anything in the photo that would identify your location or the victims/patients. IE. no street signs, addresses, or the faces of the people/patients. However, if it is for record keeping or investigation, you can take these photo's if they are secured. Key word being secured. They must be in a place with limited access, and the people with access to them must have a legitimate reason to have so.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter1023 View Post
    From most people that I have spoken with in other departments around the state (Indiana), this is the general rule, regardless of SOP/SOG. If the FD takes and video/photograpghs, if the photo's will be publicly viewing, you can NOT have anything in the photo that would identify your location or the victims/patients. IE. no street signs, addresses, or the faces of the people/patients. However, if it is for record keeping or investigation, you can take these photo's if they are secured. Key word being secured. They must be in a place with limited access, and the people with access to them must have a legitimate reason to have so.
    True, and there is no HIPPA violation if the pictures/video are used for an investigation or in training taken by a FD staff member. This way they become the property of the FD. They must not be viewable by the public.

There are no rules governing the photos/video of bystanders. That's why the media can show the vehicle and plate number before the families are notified. Dirty trick but it's not illegal.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

we have 3 rules

no face shots of any injured people

Car Lic. plates blacked out

no bloody gore

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Yep..........

We're with Buzzcut. There is a lot of stuff floating around about what can or can't be done with photos/videos. Most of it is wrong, simply not a legal foundation anywhere. Our website ( www.gdvfd18.com ) speaks for us in this area.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    We're with Buzzcut. There is a lot of stuff floating around about what can or can't be done with photos/videos. Most of it is wrong, simply not a legal foundation anywhere. Our website ( www.gdvfd18.com ) speaks for us in this area.
    The origin of this topic didn't begin as a what is and what isn't legal question, but a question of what, if any, SOP/SOG's other departments have in regards to this matter. As far as what is and is not legal to do, I don't have any facts I can refer anyone to. Do you? Not trying to make it sound as if I'm making an accusation, I'm not. But if you have information to this, which it sounds as if you do, it might be helpful to provide everyone here with your references.

Beyond SOP/SOG and legalities, would you really want to get into a situation where a citizen(customer) is angry or feels distrust with us and the performance of our duties because we publish photo's of them? Without their consent? In my opinion, we MUST take privacy into consideration if we are to have a good, working relationship with the community.

Thread Information