Thread: Communication

Forum Member

Default Communication

Our department relies solely on the evening pager test for announcements for drills, etc. I have pointed out several times to department officers that many people are not around to hear the evening pager test, and if the announcement is only made once, there's little chance many people will get the message. I've suggested using e-mail communication, but the officers don't seem to respond to this. No bulletin board or calendar at the firehouse. Do most departments operate this way, and any suggestions that could be made to our officers to improve the flow of information to the members?

MembersZone Subscriber

are you not aloud to put up a board or calendar? We put our training on a board, and also a calendar especially with one's still a few weeks away. It is also announced at our monthly meeting. if someone is unable to make it to the meeting, or some kind of training comes up that we find out about a few days ahead of time we will try to contact them to let them know about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why cant you make a calendar on the cpu and pass it out at your meetings. I do it for our fd. I put the meeting nights which has been every monday ever since I've been around (some people have'nt figured that out yet) and I put the special meetings or trainings on it as well as whos duty weekend it is.We also have alpha pagers we use also. We hardly ever do a announcement over the radio about training unless a truck is going to be o.o.s.

Forum Member

Problem is officers hardly ever announce training or anything at monthly meetings.
    Last edited by JD1234; 02-17-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Forum Member

What We've done in the past, because we too have the same problems sometimes with the Pagers is put out a Page in the AM notifying people of the events,one in the afternoon and one on the evening pager test. That way pretty much everyone(or at least the regulars too stuff) would hear it. Just a thought.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A few ideas

How about a department website? Department e-mail addresses for everyone? Broadcast list email is very easy and you can get domain names and hosting pretty cheaply these days. Cost you less to do that than it would to send snail mail announcements.
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

Forum Member

We have no ability to run a pager test.
    Last edited by JD1234; 02-17-2008 at 10:30 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it time for a new chief then?

Forum Member

Chief was just elected.
    Last edited by JD1234; 02-17-2008 at 10:29 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Very often we get a page about a training day or impromptu meeting the night before it is scheduled. Very little of what we do is scheduled too far in advance. Oh, and they love to cancel scheduled meetings and training days the night before as well. And they wonder why attendance and membership is low........

Forum Member

Sounds like we run from the same playbook SWLAFireDawg. Like others have suggested, with computers and e-mail, you would think . . .

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JD1234 View Post
    Sounds like we run from the same playbook SWLAFireDawg. Like others have suggested, with computers and e-mail, you would think . . .
    I will disagree everything as far as I'm concerned revolves around your leaders of the dept. If they are setting bad examples and not showing up only when they want to then that makes the members think the same. If your leaders showed up all the time like they should, then the members will see that as well and be there because the leaders would be showing they care and what not. What kind of training do you do?

Forum Member

So far, the training has consisted of classroom style training but it's nice to know more than 2 days or 1 day in advance that there is going to be training.
    Last edited by JD1234; 02-17-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Forum Member

So you have no regularly scheduled training nights? And I am assuming, no pagers that have the voice record option?

Both of those items would take care of your problems. Pick a day/night each month or twice a month and that is your training time. You don't have to have announcements or notes or emails or anything cuz everyone would know that is the day/night to show up for training. We've been doing that now for 120 years. We still have the same meeting night and the same training night.

Voice record pagers will store the last few announcements so even if you miss the pager going off, you could play back the message later.

Good luck. I think you will need it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

No voice record pager .
    Last edited by JD1234; 02-17-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Forum Member

Oh dear. This is going to get bad.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Good luck. I think you will need it.
    Yes, quoting myself. I definitely think it applies here.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Ask your chief one question. If he was having a heart attack, who would he want there to care for him? A paramedic or someone only trained in basic first aid? After he answers, ask him why he is willing to go to fires with lightly trained personel. It is a dangerous job we perform. Training paves the way for positive calls. A lack thereof is only asking for tradgedy.

Good luck!>>Maybe find a new house

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, we don't have, and would not allow, a bar area.

We use alpha numerice/Text pagers, and we have meetings twice a month. But we do little if any training at the meeting. The training I get is what I pursue on my own.

Forum Member

So your dept doesn't even have the ability to put out messages even if it means using the radio at your station to put the message over the pager. We usually do that or we have the options of being able to set our tones from the hall or just get our dispatch too do it
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

We have lots of options.....it just seems they are exercised primarily with less than 48 hours notice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow! A tough situation for sure. We have training meetings twice a month. We do training and not business on those nights. The Chief and the Fire District board take care of the business end and once a year we have our Annual Meeting where some business is conducted. Then when needed a page is sent out for a special business meeting. If your Chief misses many of those monthly meetings then he is not being a good leader at all and there lies the biggest problem. As far as our training schedule it is posted next to our calender which is made up on a dry erase board. Special meetings and every training meeting are posted on it as well as other events. A page is sent out on the training meeting night as a reminder of it about an hour or so before it starts. Which is almost a waste of time because most of the members are already at the station by then, but it is just one of those traditions that will not die. I know of other area departments that will page those reminders the night before. We meet on the second and fourth Thursday of the month. This has been the training nights for years. One reason for that, believe it or not, is Monday Night Football. The Chief that started that years ago was a big football fan and it has stuck with us.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our chiefs make the meetings, but we do very little training. We might check the SCBA's or clean a hose or two.

Forum Member

Wow...... Got a bar...... Don't train at all..... I feel for the citizens....

IMHO....... I don't think the FD pagers should be used for announcements.......

Occasionally we will get email updates on things going on and/or changes.

If it's very important or it's something with late notice, we started a Yahoo email account that we use to send text messages to everyone's cell phones. We set up groups to send to certain people if needed. (Chiefs. Officers, Staion #1 Personnel, Station #2, Engineers, etc) After you send the message, most people will receive it in less than 1 minute. This is not used for emergencies and if people do not wish to receive them due to cost or for whatever reason, they will not be added........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

We use several methods to keep our members informed:

1. Radio Pagers - good for last minute/emergency announcements

2. Email List - We have about 90% of our members who are part of a email mailing list that we use for announcements as well.

3. SMS/Text Messages - Through our website we have created an application that allows any member to type up a text message and then send it out to selected memebers cell phones from the website. We only have about 65% of members who are apart of this sytem.

4. Forum/Calendar - also in a private section of our website we keep an online forum which is great for announcements and communications. We also have an online calendar. 65% of members are apart of this system.

5. Old Fashion - notes posted at FD

We have our regular training nights, but extra drills/meetings/etc will usually get posted on systems 2, 3, 4, 5

Please let me know if anyone has any questions.

Thread Information