Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Bus/Motor Coach Fires

Hello all. I am putting a training program together that address's motor coach fires and extrication. Does your dept. have a SOP for such incidents? Do you have audio, video or other data that might be beneficial to such a program? Do you already have a program that I can view?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions, experiences, and data that you could provide.

Stay Safe!

P.J. Norwood
    BC East Haven CT

MembersZone Subscriber

Bus fire kills 24 Hurricane Rita Evacuees

Here are some google search results for bus fires:

I believe that due to the size, and difficulty of cutting up buses/RV's most depts around here will treat it as a structure fire and give it a full first alarm. All vehicle fires call for complete primary and secondary searches of the passenger space and cargo space. If it is on a highway, just shut the whole road down both directions. Another thing about highway bus/RV fires is you'll need at least 2 engines just for water. A single tank isnt going to cut it and there arent any hydrants along highways.

Im sure some other guys with more experience than I have can give you a lot better info and things that work well. Good luck with your classes.

There are some pictures of a bus fire on www.torontofirepics.com
    www.firehall.com - check it out

MembersZone Subscriber

I was with a department in a large tourist area with lots of buses and motor homes. We had a few calls and what the department did was get with the bus companies and they will work with you. That way you will know where the exits on the sides and even some on the roofs are. If you have a department in your area, or for that matter in your state contact them. I am sure they will assist you with what type of training they do.

My department was able to secure a bus just for extrication training and vehicle fires. If nothing else get an old school bus to use at the salvage yard. The department did this last year, first thing they did was use a smoke machine to smoke up the bus and search for victims. (No live fire ever used for this). Then they used pallets and fired it up for the members to practice vehicle fires. It was good training for all of the FF's. We use buses because you do not find very many motor homes/coaches at our salvage yard.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterkid View Post
    There are some pictures of a bus fire on www.torontofirepics.com
    Great Fire resource. Thank you.

Forum Member

If it helps here's a war story and no,whacker shirts were NOT involved in this incident.
    Couple years ago,I was riding the grey dog up from Memphis to Paducah and the bus blew a tire while riding up the Beltline to the station.
    We arrived on time and after the driver had cleared the bus by announcing a long delay for a new bus since they couldn't change the tire and stay on schedule,I happened to look under the bus and saw dull flickering light where no light should be flickering,dully or brightly.
    Telling the guy at the pay phone to call 911 about a bus fire at the station,I grabbed the nearest employee and pointed to what I saw.We each got an extinguisher and took a side of the bus and started squirting dry chemical on the brake lines.
    After I got a face full of that powder from the other guy,it was clear the fire was down and a couple minutes later Paducah FD was there with a ladder and engine.
    They'd pulled the booster line from the engine and took a look see with a TIC but we'd gotten it with the extinguishers.Brake lines weren't even warm by then.
    Though I'd spoken with the IC and identified myself and what department I was with at the time,I never heard another thing about it.
    It was over quickly enough that people were wondering what they were there for.

Thread Information