Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Thumbs up Statewide organizations?

In New Jersey, we have the New Jersey State First Aid Council. Google found me that Virginia has the Virginia Association of Volunteer Rescue Squads.

What do other states have in terms of statewide fire or EMS groups? What do they do for you? Oversight? Lobbying? Recruitment & retention? What do you think they should do that they don't?
    Apu
    http://www.SpringfieldFAS.org/
    http://www.VolunteerEMS.org/
    "The views expressed are my own."

Ok, I have to ask, since my squad was one of the founding members of the FAC.

What do you think they (NJFAC) do for you that is good?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

In Kansas there is the "Kansas State Firefighters Association." (KSFFA) They have been around since 1887. Once a year there is the annual Spring Fire School co-sponsered with the "Sate Capitol Area Firefighters Association" (SCAFFA) in Topeka. It is a week long school that offers several different classes. They also conduct several schools throughout the state for area firefighters. Then there is KEMSA, the "Kansas Emergency Medical Service Association" who sponsers training throughout the year to meet requirements for recertification hours. Both associations are involved in State poliltics to help make things better for all emergency services.
    Last edited by LtTim556; 03-17-2007 at 12:05 AM.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    What do you think they (NJFAC) do for you that is good?
    In my opinion.. The NJSFAC greatest benefit is communications. Lots of things happen that we wouldn't find out about without them, or wouldn't find out about in a timely manner. I'm both a field responder and "management" for my volunteer agency and I get things from the NJ Dept. of Health & Senior Services, the county health department, law enforcement, etc. days, weeks or months after I have them from the first aid council.

The other big thing they do is working out membership incentives. Granted, I don't think a lot of our members take advantage of them. But, our agency (and most, I think) isn't large enough to negotiate things that the first aid council has gotten for us. And every little bit helps when you are trying to make a volunteer feel appreciated.
    Apu

We have a provincial(canada) organization being the Fire Service Association Of Nova Scotia. Looks after everything fire related for the province. Then each county has its own Fire Association too do the same thing on a smaller level
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Ok, I'm curious...what membership "incentives" has the NJSFAC come up with and/or gotten you?

Please don't mention LOSAP because that had 0 to do with NJSFAC.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Ok, I'm curious...what membership "incentives" has the NJSFAC come up with and/or gotten you?

Please don't mention LOSAP because that had 0 to do with NJSFAC.
    No LOSAP here anyway.

I think the one that our members actually used the most would be the Verizon Wireless discounts. 20% is 20% though I think its down to 15% now.

There was initial interest from people though I'm not sure how many took advantage of the credit union, auto & life insurance programs and the variety of discount programs (Dell, Working Advantage, etc.) but I'm guessing not many. BUT, I don't think we really want volunteers that join for those programs. Being a fire or EMS volunteer isn't about "what's in it for me?" What we do want (need) are things to push a prospective member over the edge and getting them to try membership to see if it is for them for other reasons.

Think of the incentives as mail-in rebates. Some people might take advantage of them and get money back in 6-8 weeks; however, many people use them to convince themselves to buy something they were already considering but, in the end, never fill out the paperwork and mail it in.

However, we're too small to negotiate the offer in the first place and that's what the NJSFAC did for us in terms of incentives. IMHO.
    Apu

Quote Originally Posted by ApuFromSpfld View Post
    In New Jersey, we have the New Jersey State First Aid Council. Google found me that Virginia has the Virginia Association of Volunteer Rescue Squads.

What do other states have in terms of statewide fire or EMS groups? What do they do for you? Oversight? Lobbying? Recruitment & retention? What do you think they should do that they don't?
    Virginia also has the Virginia State Firefighters Association
    Lieutenant/EMT-B

VSFFA Member

"I'm a CCEMT-B."

"Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

"A lack of effort will always lead to failure."

Thread Information