Thread: scott ti 160

MembersZone Subscriber

Default scott ti 160

I'm from a small vol. fire dept. we also run ems.
    we are looking to purchase a thermal img. camera.what i would like is some imput on if we need the telemetry with the remote moniter or not. does the rest of you that have any brand camera with the moniter how often does it get used and is it worth the additional expense?all thoughts and experiences would be very helpful.

Forum Member

BVFD:

In my experiences as a career FF (11 Stations, 2 Battalions, 200-300 working fires/year) , our telemetry has only been used one time in 7 years since I have been on the job and that was for a fire in a chemical plant.

As a volunteer, we rarely had the manpower to dedicate an officer to watch the same images that the line FF's were seeing inside. The concept is great, but the practicality to me is not worth the price.

Most salespeople will try to steer you towards telemetry because it adds an additional $3k-$5k to the order and try to promote the training aspect. Using telemetry for training is great, but sometimes the signal will not work in a burn tower which defeats the purpose.

As a distributor & FF, I would rather see you put the money towards a second camera that can actually help keep another crew of FF's safe or assist in a rescue.

Good luck and free to shoot me an e-mail if you need any further info!

rfd599
    www.

Forum Member

Does the Scott have the ability to record?

MembersZone Subscriber

The Scott Eagle 160 has the ability to record if a video recorder is connected to the receiver. In fact, all thermal cameras have the ability to record so long as it is equipped with transmitter capability Ė and every last one of them has transmitters available, if the department so chooses to buy them.

In some cases, like the ISG, Bullard and MSA, either frames or video can be recorded using on-board memory inside the camera itself.

I can tell you however (since I head-up a company that manufactures thermal cameras) very few departments buy transmitters today. I know exactly what percentage of our cameras go out the door equipped with transmitters Ė very few. I also know my competitors are experiencing exactly the same thing. This is true for on-board storage recording also. (The distributor makes a good profit on them though.)

A few years ago, it was very different. Many many departments bought transmit capability. But, those who bought them figured out that it wasnít worth it Ė it wasnít used, and the few times it was used, no one ever looked at the recordings. That word got out in fire services and transmitter sales died.

RFD599 is exactly right. Donít waste your money.

Also, if you run with Scott packs, donít necessarily just go with their camera. The top three manufacturers that make-up about 8 of every 10 cameras sold are Bullard, MSA and ISG. I think youíll be doing your department a disservice if you didnít do a proper evaluation. I think youíll be surprised by what you may find should you look at other brands. Not just ours, but our two major competitors also. I think we make a good product but in all fairness, the other two are pretty good also. Bullard and MSA are stiff competition for us - have been for about 10 years and we don't expect that to change any time soon.

Good luck!

David A. Little
    Chief Executive Officer
    ISG Thermal Systems USA, Inc.

Forum Member

Wow - a fire equipment manufacturer telling you not to waste your money on an expensive, unneeded option. Now that's refreshing.

By the way - our Bullard had transmit capability. I'd hafta agree it's a waste of money.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow is right you don't see that everyday.when I told the chief that I could get a straight no nonscense answer he laughed, but this is why this forum is the best. we are going to ck out the other ti'S but i like the features of the scott. but thanks again and if anyone else has some imput please feel free.

or you can email me bvfd137079@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Default what dept.?

bvfd137079, what is the name of you're dept.?
    you can email me at fao110@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Well my fire dept just recently placed a rather large order of cameras with ISG Thanks to grant money. And I can tell you from being in a busy fire company that they hold up well have great options and can take a beating. I can't give you any info about telemitry. But i can make a recomendation on a camera that I have used and use often. The ISG is small and works well doesn't get in your way and is lite. Well I hope I was able to help out a little Happy hunting and be safe.

Thread Information