Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Looking for a "form"....

We have plenty of opportunities to train off site of city property because of developers knocking down vacant houses and buildings almost everyday. We aren't allowed to train in them because we don't have a release form signed from the owner of the land, house, etc..... Can anyone help in this regard?

Don't know how it works in your state but here in N.J. when someone has a home demolished the owner actually signs ownership over to the demolition company. One reason being if damage is done to ajoining property the contractor has to make good and the former owner is completelp out of the loop. So, you only have to deal with a contractor. He might be more openminded especially if you have someone in the building dept where he has to get his demolition permit speak to him. From there have a responsible person contact them and state your case. Any demo company by me just wants to make sure we're insured and they won't be held responsible for any injury. Speak to your town attourney.
    As a note, a few months ago the state DOT grabbed some property to expand a highway. It included several square blocks with 37 buildings of 2, 2-1/2, and 3 story buildings and a 1 story 300 x 250 ft factory. It was like someone opened an amusement park. NO live fire. Alot of single and multi-unit drills.
    Good luck...be careful.

If the department is part of a local government, you may want to approach the municipality's attorney. They might have a form already available. Aside from the property waiver another contact you may have to make is with the state environmental agency for an asbestos abatement/clearance form. If I'm not mistaken, this is also an NFPA standard. Don't be discouraged, the hard work will pay off with some good training!!!
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Good call with the asbestos 485.
    You definately have to do a walkthrough before anyone enters for training. Utilities must to be disconnected and dangerous objects removed.

MembersZone Subscriber SeavilleFire's Avatar

I'll send you the form that my department uses....what's your email address?

MembersZone Subscriber Fletch 8903's Avatar

NFPA 1403 has a sample release in it. In an old edition I have laying around (1997), it's in section A-7-1.2.

Forum Member

Default forms

In roanoke county. Not able to do live burnsin old houses or ETC.....It is a insurance liability issue. We have our own training facility from a Burn Building to a haz-mat train car. We have a train box car made into a SCBA maze with three floors.
    Gary Newcomb
    FireFighter
    Mt.Pleasant Vol Fire Co.

Thanks for all the info. We can't do any live burning, however, we can go in and practice searches, bail outs, RIT and other things. My email is cdurden@firehousezone.com. Thanks again.

Thread Information