Forum Member

Smile Anyone had back surgery(s) still on the job?

Man, Im recovering from my second in 16 years, Im a 40 year old, 260lb paid Captain....just wondering if there many out there like me....still serving hard as ever for our comunity. Take Care.

Forum Member

Brother, we have several on-the-job that have had either laminectomies or fusions. Some have minimal after-effects while others deal with it through pain management. The whole back-injury is so subjective it is not funny. I hope everything goes well with your situation.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber

I will echo what FDAIC485 said-same on my department. As far as my situation, I had a total right hip replacement 5 months ago and am back on full duty. Two and a half years ago, I had the joint in my right big toe replaced and 2 screws put in the same foot.

Still going to fires and riding my bike, swimming, and lifting weights. Follow the advice of your physical terrorist, I mean therapist- they will help you recover. Know your limitations and try not to over do it.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

I picked up an inguinal hernia while in the Navy that didn't get fixed until after I got out.I then went and worked 7 years on river towboats and other physically demanding jobs after that including being a volunteer firefighter.
    The last physical I had the doctor said I had a small hernia but I can't tell and the second opinion doc couldn't find it either.Maybe he's wrong.
    I'm being careful not to strain it and turn out that he was right after all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Had lower disc replacement on L-5/S-1 in Oct 2004. Not as bad as fusions but the pain before the surgery was unbearable. I went through two rounds of epidural shots, after each one my back seemed to get worse. Took about a full year to recover with allot of stretching and weight lifting. Sad part is I was only 28 when I had the surgery. It's always in the back of my mind and Iím always conscious of how Iím lifting, pulling, pushing, etc. No more grip it and rip it for me; I'm not embarrassed to ask for help anymore. Dead lifts work great for me, strengthens your lower back and lower muscles. Seems that my back gets sore these days when ever Iím lying around not doing anything. I believe there are thousands of people on the job suffering from back pain and some that have had surgery that hasnít helped them. I also think there is not enough education or emphases on proper techniques of lifting and lower back conditioning these days.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidgetStalker View Post
    Had lower disc replacement on L-5/S-1 in Oct 2004. Not as bad as fusions but the pain before the surgery was unbearable. I went through two rounds of epidural shots, after each one my back seemed to get worse. Took about a full year to recover with allot of stretching and weight lifting. Sad part is I was only 28 when I had the surgery. It's always in the back of my mind and Iím always conscious of how Iím lifting, pulling, pushing, etc. No more grip it and rip it for me; I'm not embarrassed to ask for help anymore. Dead lifts work great for me, strengthens your lower back and lower muscles. Seems that my back gets sore these days when ever Iím lying around not doing anything. I believe there are thousands of people on the job suffering from back pain and some that have had surgery that hasnít helped them. I also think there is not enough education or emphases on proper techniques of lifting and lower back conditioning these days.
    You hit the target dead-center about education. And,when someone tries to address it only 50% of the message is conveyed. Most people hound on the use of the legs to do the lifting and don't even address the spinal collum. When most people lift an object, they remove the normal inward curve of the lumbar area. It becomes flat. After years of doing this the discs tend to herniate (they don't slip as the old adage may want to believe).

If you want a good example of what happens during a disc hurniation try this. The next time you make Smores take, two pieces of graham crackers with a marshmellow in between. Now pinch the graham crackers together on one side. You will see how the marshmellow buldges out on the opposite side, this is what happens to your intervertebral disc when the lumbar curve is flattened out. Obviously, the body parts are built to take more abuse. However, when they do break, it is not good.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Smile

Thanks fellas....Im less than 2 months post op, not much pain, light duty until mid april (or until I feel like it), but you are right, I hurt more when Im lying around doing nothing, 1st thing in the morning but once I get movin I seem to be 99% better...Thanks

Forum Member

I had L5-S1 done back in 2000. Plus I had three vertebras fused since they were broke and did well. I was out for 6 months and since I was working in a office job and didnít have to respond like the station members do, I made out ok. I retired last year and glad I did since it was getting harder to do what I wanted to do and get around on the fire ground.

You need to loose some of the weight. That isnít going to help you. I was about 185 when I had my surgery and gain some while sitting at home but back to 190 now.
    Still canít do everything that I would like too but I am walking upright with out that pain that I had!!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Master Firefighter

I am glad someone brought this subject up since I am 21 and have a degenerative back condition. My back does not cause me much pain as long as I stay strong and keep stretching. My biggest concern I have is whether or not it is smart to continue on for a paid fire job when I could land a office job with a place like IBM. I love fire which I have done since I was 16 and want to be paid but not sure what the best thing is to do.

Thread Information