Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Angry I got a Question?

I just enlisted in the usaf. i got security forces instead of

But my recruiter said that i can run with a dept outside of base. is this true. and what about overseas. can i run with a dept if i get stationed in germany?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mock88 View Post
    I just enlisted in the usaf. i got security forces instead of

But my recruiter said that i can run with a dept outside of base. is this true. and what about overseas. can i run with a dept if i get stationed in germany?

man, I hope you like sitting at a gate checking ID's for 12 hours, or sitting on the flightline for 12 hours looking at A/C and making sure no one Steps on the "redline" or working all the time and deploying for 6-12 months...

are u in the DEP right now, cause you can still get out of it...

but if u still go in SF then yes, if u are stateside u can Be a Jolly Volly Firefighter off base, that is if u are some place where they have Vol. but if ur overseas then ya, I am not sure, I have never been stationed Overseas..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxxshiftxxx View Post
    man, I hope you like sitting at a gate checking ID's for 12 hours, or sitting on the flightline for 12 hours looking at A/C and making sure no one Steps on the "redline" or working all the time and deploying for 6-12 months...

are u in the DEP right now, cause you can still get out of it...

but if u still go in SF then yes, if u are stateside u can Be a Jolly Volly Firefighter off base, that is if u are some place where they have Vol. but if ur overseas then ya, I am not sure, I have never been stationed Overseas..
    Is that English?

If you are going to offer advice at least make it understandable.

I would suggest coming up with a list of questions and then talking with your recruiter. They can get you the answers, they may try and put you off but if properly motivated they can get you answers.

I am active duty and my job is not FF. I am a volunteer and have my commanders blessing. Security forces is a pretty busy career field and for the first year or so you are pretty busy with upgrade training and many other things. Not to mention as the new guy you probably are going to get the shift no one else wants, so joining a volunteer department would be a little challenging. Not impossible but challenging to say the least.

Bottom line get the job you want, but make sure it is what you want to do, ask questions, ask questions, ask questions. Once you leave for basic training you are going to have to tough it out if you don't like the job!! Good luck and get started with the questions for your recruiter.

Forum Member

Ya, Im pretty sure its english.. .maybe not proper but it works...

what job do you do in the AF..?? I am just curious..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxxshiftxxx View Post
    Ya, Im pretty sure its english.. .maybe not proper but it works...

what job do you do in the AF..?? I am just curious..
    Better....
    1T Aircrew Life Support, or whatever we are calling it today. I am a little light on the lingo with all this text stuff. I am guessing that is what that was.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart46 View Post
    Is that English?

If you are going to offer advice at least make it understandable.

I would suggest coming up with a list of questions and then talking with your recruiter. They can get you the answers, they may try and put you off but if properly motivated they can get you answers.

I am active duty and my job is not FF. I am a volunteer and have my commanders blessing. Security forces is a pretty busy career field and for the first year or so you are pretty busy with upgrade training and many other things. Not to mention as the new guy you probably are going to get the shift no one else wants, so joining a volunteer department would be a little challenging. Not impossible but challenging to say the least.

Bottom line get the job you want, but make sure it is what you want to do, ask questions, ask questions, ask questions. Once you leave for basic training you are going to have to tough it out if you don't like the job!! Good luck and get started with the questions for your recruiter.
    Amen brother. Learn how to write in complete sentences if you are going to offer a young Airman advice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFFDSUCKS View Post
    Amen brother. Learn how to write in complete sentences if you are going to offer a young Airman advice.
    man u suck... hey dont fall asleep in class... HA HA

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Was that a sentence? Also, how dare you put down our base defenders. They are the backbone of the USAF and they are some of the sharpest Airmen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFFDSUCKS View Post
    Was that a sentence? Also, how dare you put down our base defenders. They are the backbone of the USAF and they are some of the sharpest Airmen.

Ya, they are the "Desert Defenders" right?? I know you wish you were SFS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mock
    If you do not want the job do not sign your final paperwork. You are not "officially" enlisted until you get to basic. Refuse to sign the paperwork and let your wishes be known that you want to be a firefighter. If you do go SF it is going to be almost impossible to volunteer on a department with the amount of deployments and extra off duty training you will have to do. Ask people that already are SF and they will give you an honest opinion.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to agree with what has been said here. Make sure that you have a specified job in writing before leaving for basic. Once you are at Lackand, if you leave the DEP with an open job status, then you have to pick and choose from the jobs offered to you when you get down there. Not a good thing, they tend to push the jobs that they need to fill. Those jobs may be ones that you may not want. I was Guidance and Control-instruments autopilot and navigation on a C-130 with the 50th Airlift Sqdrn.
    Best time of my life, so be sure you get a job you want!

Actually I think with how the AF is going these days you have to put an open aptitude area when you see the career advisor. SFs really isnt as bad as everyone makes it. Just like any other job you have some that love and some that hate it.

When I came into the AF back in 01 I actually came in open general. The AF decided to give me Command Post. Its not the worst job in the world but Im ready to get out of it so I am going through the retraining process now to try to get into fire. Matter of fact the results from the first board should be released today.

Just remember even if you get a job that you decide that you dont like you still have the option of trying to retrain and when it comes to SFs thats a pretty easy option seeing how in that career fields once you become a NCO they dont need you anymore.

Well no matter what happens Good Luck.

Default thanks

Thank you everyone for you advice. But does anyone know if you are able to switch jobs why you are in DEP?

Thread Information