Thread: Test Results

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Test Results

A Band Baby...yeah.

Any advice for the next step? I just got my results from Long Beach. This is the first department I have made it to A band in. I dont have the 3 years of training background yet, so my competition is extrememly fierce. Any advice from here would be very helpful. I am super nervous and excited at the same time.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would expect to be called to take the Biddle physical agility in the not too distant future. Do not strive for the minimum passing score. While the exam is rated pass of fail, scores are considered.

MembersZone Subscriber

congrats jared, I haven't gotten any word from LB yet, but then again I'm in NJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default BCLepore

Is that you Chief Lepore from LB?

I have read some of your books, thanks for all the great info. I was looking on your EMS website yesterday to try to find a number for you. I was talking to volunteer Cpt John Woods from OCFA reserves, 3s Captain. He mentioned that you give interview training one on one. Is that true? What does that consist of and would it be possible to have some help if the time comes?

Thanks for the reply

Jared G

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you know how many bands there are for the Long Beach test and how many in each band?

Forum Member

I also made "Band A" not sure what that means, but it says the next step is to send in a resume by April 6th. Any advice for the the resume? My resume is the typcial firefighter resume that I would take to an oral board clean, neat, and easy to read. Everything is on one page, super simple and neat!

MembersZone Subscriber

Jared,
    Yes I do work for the department, and yes I do private coaching. However, I do NOT do private coaching for someone who is preparing specifically for my department.

Whenever I work with a candidate I explain to him or her that what I teach will help them become a firefighter. It may be on my department, more likely it will be on another department. I have helped dozens of candidates who are now my coworkers. When I encounter a candidate on the Chief's Interview that I have worked with I excuse myself from the panel.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief Lepore,
    Do you know how many academies Long Beach is making out of this last test? Also, do you know how many bands there are and the amount of candidates in each one? I am curious as I just received my letter back for Band "A". I appreciate it!

John

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    I would expect to be called to take the Biddle physical agility in the not too distant future. Do not strive for the minimum passing score. While the exam is rated pass of fail, scores are considered.
    I've heard about the Biddle but I'm unsure of how to compare it to the CPAT. I just passed the CPAT with decent time to spare, but it would be nice to have an idea of how the Biddle compares in agility, endurance, and strength.

Knowing a bit about the CPAT, I intensely worked those areas of my body that needed shaping up for three months to get my body to exceed what was required of it. (I'm female, so though nature granted women powerful legs, I had to put extra effort into building my upper body.) If the Biddle has different challenges, I want to ensure that my body can exceed those tasks, as well as what will be required on the job (because, in honesty, real firemen often weigh a bit more than that 165 pound dummy).

I received an “A Band” as well, but looking at those around me on test day, and knowing Long Beach FD’s reputation for being the elite, I know I have my work cut out for me. Anyone who has information/ insight on the current Biddle, your input would be greatly appreciated. I’ve looked up some information already, but it is a bit vague compared to what information is available on the CPAT.

BTW… Being that I just passed CPAT and placed A-Band, a quick kudos and sincere “Thank You” to Fireman David Bailey. That fireman never questioned whether I could or should, he just said, “Great, go for it,” and then instructed me to run stairs with hose packs and work the forearms. Thank you Fireman Bailey.

MembersZone Subscriber

1600 candidates in A band. I do not know how many will be hired. I suspect around 50 over the life of the list.

MembersZone Subscriber

congrats all. Bah this is so uneasy for me to read all you guys making the list, and I haven't received a word yet from LB, haha. The bands is just to basically "band" all the testers who have gotten the "A" score range. Most Depts only hire from the A and B bands. As for the biddles test, its a lot more intense than the CPAT. It has most of the events from the CPAT with the added halyard pull among other things. It's also a timed, but unlike the CPAT, the time that you receive is taken into consideration.
    Here's a link of the outline of the Biddle's Test. Not sure how accurate it is though.

http://www3.city.newport-beach.ca.us...escription.htm

Anyways gang, goodluck/congrats with your process!
    Last edited by jklm128; 03-20-2007 at 04:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jklm128 View Post
    I haven't received a word yet from LB, haha.
    I know a few men who haven't received theirs yet, even though they tested a day earlier. Give Mr. Postman a few more days; you're not alone.

Thanks for the Biddle information.

MembersZone Subscriber

What about "B" band. What are your chances, if any at all, of getting to proceed further in the hiring process?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Long Beach Biddle

Post moved to more appropriate thread.
    Last edited by ErinM1; 04-20-2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: There's a better place for this post

Thread Information