Question Weighing My Options: Need Advice

I just wanted to get some opinions on what you think is the best option.

Here is my situation:

I am 26 years old. I am in the Navy (Damage Control). I did have my EMT-B National registry cert, but it has now expired and I failed to renew it and the grace period to renew has long lapsed. I have FF 1 and 2, I have taken a few other classes at the academy pertaining to Fire Science, but I am still quite a ways a way from my degree.

Here are my options as of right now:

Option 1:
    I re-up in the Navy for a few more years at a reserve center and finish my degree in FS before I get out. I will use none of my GIBill during this time, it will be paid for. Then get out and start looking at departments.

Option 2:
    I re-up in the Navy for a another 3-4 years on shore as an instructor for Damage Control. This will make it more difficult to obtain my degree, but I am sure I can make some progress. Of course, not using my GIBill. After that get out and try to get on a dept.

Or

Option 3:
    Get out of the Navy now. Completely redo my EMT-B Nat. Cert. as soon as I do. Try to get on a dept. And use my GIBill over the next 3-6 years trying to finish my degree on my own time.

I was also reading in the forum and heard a lot about DoD certs. Good idea or not?

Let me know what you all think.

THANKS

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Same boat

i am in the same boat, no pun intended.
    the only difference is that i know i am getting out. i go on terminal leave in 8 months and am trying to finish gathering all the resources possible before i leave the service. i have about 8 credits left on my AS in fire science, thanks to the navy college credits obtained through rating advancements, but i just dont know how many of them are going to transfer over with me into the civilian world.

if any one has any more info out there on what i could do to better my chances of getting in, or any other things i should take advantage of while i am in the service i would greatly appreciate it too!!!

Forum Member

Three years ago I was sitting in both of your positions, however, I was Air Force. Here is what I did:

I secured a job as a Fire Inspector in the local goverment of my home town. My plans were to complete my FS degree and apply for the local FD. However, now that I have recently recieved a generous raise, my plans are to now complete my FS degree and remain were I am.

My advise is to take the next couple of months and see if you can secure a job at a preferred location that will earn you the same salary you are recieving now. This will give you the chance to persue your FS degree. Then once the time comes to apply for an FD, you'll be ahead of the game and complete if not close to completing your FS degree.

MembersZone Subscriber

DOD certs are a good idea, not all departments require it before you apply but it could help. With a DOD fire department most require at least FF I before you apply. Depending where you apply a FS degree may not be needed, but would look good on the resume. Being in the Navy would also give you an advantage to get hired by a DOD fire department somewhere. These days unless you have served in the military it is nearly impossible to get on a DOD fire department. It may also be easier to get your degree by staying in because some departments schedules make it difficult to make classes. Don't know if I have been any help but good luck in you decision.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

MembersZone Subscriber

You could transition to the Army Reserves and get your NREMT-B recert. Once you have that you could take your ACLS and PALS and then try ti challenge the paramedic test. Thats what I'm currently doing. I live next to post and am currentlly doing my ACLS and will be doing PALS. The reserves would reimburse you for all your college. I also obtained my LPN through the Army whiched helps to obtaining my end goal of FF/Para.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by killemfixem View Post
    You could transition to the Army Reserves and get your NREMT-B recert. Once you have that you could take your ACLS and PALS and then try ti challenge the paramedic test. Thats what I'm currently doing. I live next to post and am currentlly doing my ACLS and will be doing PALS. The reserves would reimburse you for all your college. I also obtained my LPN through the Army whiched helps to obtaining my end goal of FF/Para.
    Ha. Yea go with this route. Then you can practice your new ALS skills in Baghdad.

In all seriousness now. Any way you go, IE- reserves, prepare for a recall within 3-6 months, and pack your bags to the big sandpit in the middle of the planet.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

I served in the Air Force, as my father did. He retired with 20yrs, I did my 4. I am still proud to have served and would again. The great majority of those that joined the services did so to serve their country. There is no one holding a shotgun to their backs to join. The military is just that the military, not the peace corps. So if you did not want the chance to go to war, join the peace corps. So DOC, to make a statement regarding EMT's, Paramedics, and Corpsmen who still serve and choose to place their lives on the line to save a fellow soldier is a disrespect to them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Extinguisher911 View Post
    I served in the Air Force, as my father did. He retired with 20yrs, I did my 4. I am still proud to have served and would again. The great majority of those that joined the services did so to serve their country. There is no one holding a shotgun to their backs to join. The military is just that the military, not the peace corps. So if you did not want the chance to go to war, join the peace corps. So DOC, to make a statement regarding EMT's, Paramedics, and Corpsmen who still serve and choose to place their lives on the line to save a fellow soldier is a disrespect to them.
    Um, ok. Sure.

Now that that is out of the way, what in the H, E, double hockey sticks are you talking about?
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Here is some advice and you can take it however you wish.....I got out of Active Navy with 8 years, joined the Air Guard and went to DOD Fire Academy as a SSgt and collected a 15000 bonus. I have since been in the Guard for 2 years and collected 4 certs since getting out of the academy and I use 3 of the frequently. One more bit of advice is that if you go air guard, you might be able to catch an EMT class at the base and get into that which they run between 2 and 3 weeks long. That is what several of the guys from my unit have done. Having your FF1 and 2 from Goodfellow look good if you are trying to go DOD civil service.

Forum Member

If you move to Houston Texas, there are 6 Army Reserve FF units there and I know they have spots open. I have a spot open in my FF unit. I might be leaving soon so that leaves 2.

Thread Information