Forum Member

Default Enlisted vs. Civilian

I'm looking into the Air Force firefighting program and am looking on hopefully getting on a city fire department when I come out. I was just curious about the civilian firefighters in the Air Force. I have heard they are becoming more popular on bases, do they work the same amount of hours, do they train at Goodfellow also? Just curious thanks for everyones help. Stay Safe.

Forum Member

If you want to work the Air Force as a civilian firefighter, you better serve 4 years in the a military, as an Air Force firefighter. Most 0081 Air Force jobs only hire status canidates. That means you must be either a vet or already a permanent employee in the DOD system. You must also keep in mind the Air Force is looking to drop many civilian firefighter positions. So getting your foot in the door will be very difficult. I would go to an AF base and talk to members in person. If nothing else, it will put a face to your resume.

K

Forum Member

Sorry. i forgot to answer your post ?'s. They work a 72 hour week. The 2 I worked with did go through Goodfellow, but that was back when they enlisted. I would guess if you are going to the military fire side, then yes you will attend the academy. If it is a civilian job with the Air Force, then odds are you will already have your dod certs and no academty will be required.

K

Forum Member

Thanks alot for the info. I'm not looking to become a civilian firefighter with the Air Force, I'm most likely going to enlist as a firefighter or some other position. I was just curious about there schedule, I wasn't sure if the civilian firefighters put in the same amount of time as the enlisted firefighters. Thanks alot for your help.

Default Be Careful

I was a Military firefighter (51M40) for years until they rifted us for civilians. Be intrested in what the ratio is between civilian and military firefighters these days? May I add I was Army, Not Air Force.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well i really cant speak for the air force civilians,but i know as a federal firefighter working for a Marine Corps base that if you dont have any certs they get grandfathered to you then you take the cert tests. Like the about counterpart said its difficult to get in if you arent a vet.....By the way Goodfellow is an awesome school and a great experience.

Thread Information