Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Crashes involving hybrids

Does anyone have any good resources reference to this?

We don't get a lot of these, but we're bound to and I've heard they're a different ball of wax.

Thanks

I'm an engineer at Ford and worked on the Escape Hybrid. Pretty much what I've told everyone is do NOT cut or disconnect the high voltage cable. That's a min of 420 volts to a max of 720 right there. The high voltage cable is colored bright orange so you can't miss it. For the Escape we have a battery dissconnect in the back. It's kida like the drag racing battery kill switch. A quarter turn, pull the plug and you're done.

For a leaking battery just use your standard hazmat SOG for batteries. If you take the top of ours it looks like a bunch of D cells.

Forum Member

Your local dealer should have pamphlets or access to people trained to teach the safe handling of hybrids after a wreck.Try them as the maker should know what is the best way to deal with the problems involved.
    One thing I learned about those cars after my sister got one was that even running flat out,the engines are quieter than you'd think.
    This is from an old 2000 "Firehouse"issue I do not have at hand and may have some things wrong.If anyone knows better,correct me before I get someone killed or hurt.
    Make sure someone positively turns it off and removes the key if you have one involved.That will REDUCE,not eliminate the risk of someone getting caught in the moving parts.
    Just because the key is off,doesn't mean the car cannot"come to life" on you.I am told that most models can start the motor if the key is on and motion is detected.

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

The automakers websites have links to their Hybrid vehicles and safety features. On most if you disconnect the 12 volt power supply, you can make the vehicle "safe". Many of these (and other non hybrids) have "smart" keys, meaning the vehicle can run even with no key in the igniton. So if it is just in the occupants pocket or near by, the vehicle is still operational.
    And they do run very quiet. One thing to note, the Prius will beep if it is in reverse gear.
    I am currently apprenticing a hybrid and vehicle rescue class, so I don't claim to know it all. But, we (the lead has been teaching extrication/rescue for 15 years.) do teach the above points.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    The automakers websites have links to their Hybrid vehicles and safety features. On most if you disconnect the 12 volt power supply, you can make the vehicle "safe". Many of these (and other non hybrids) have "smart" keys, meaning the vehicle can run even with no key in the igniton. So if it is just in the occupants pocket or near by, the vehicle is still operational.
    And they do run very quiet. One thing to note, the Prius will beep if it is in reverse gear.
    I am currently apprenticing a hybrid and vehicle rescue class, so I don't claim to know it all. But, we (the lead has been teaching extrication/rescue for 15 years.) do teach the above points.
    The reverse beep on the Prius can be disabled... I know 4 people with prius' (prii?) and they have all disabled the reverse beep.

Banned

Hell!! It isn't just the hybrids, it's every new car on the road. They are full of bombs called air bags. Someone really needs to re-address the air bag thing and come up wit ha better solution.

Toyota and Honda's websites have information about hybrid cars that you can download for free...zilch zip....nada...nothing!

Holmatro has a book you can buy that has all the information you need on airbags, seat belt pretensioners, battery locations, capacitor drain own times, etc. It gets updates yearly to reflect the new technology, new models and updates on present vehicles.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Take a look at the sites front page. They have an article dealing with hybrid vehicle accidents. Pretty much what I said, learn where the disconnect switches are and treat the leaking battery just like a convetional lead acid battery based on your SOG.

Thread Information