Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Question Dallas Fire/Rescue.....Bueller, Bueller?

hey what up everyone? Got a few questions for you fellas from the metroplex. Anyone ever taken the written exam for Dallas? If so, what is it like...what does it cover....what company does the city use for their fire exam? just stuff like that would be great.

As far as going further in the hiring process...I hear that they love to hire candidates that are already paramedics....true or no? I have done some research, but would like to hear from some other point of view.

Thanks for any responses!

ATXMDX

Also, what is up with all of the posts about other big city fire departments in Texas, but no Dallas fire posts???? Some reason why, other than that their open app. period is only like 10 days long??? Just curious. Thanks again!

Forum Member

Because it's not a very good department, and everybody on here generally knows more about the fire service than your average joe, thus trying for different departments in tx.

Forum Member

Talking watch yourself "techguy"

Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    Because it's not a very good department, and everybody on here generally knows more about the fire service than your average joe, thus trying for different departments in tx.
    a couple of things.....1. pretty sure that i was asking for info from someone who either a.) works for Dallas, or b.) has taken the test there and would be familiar with it. you are neither. 2. if you really want to get on with Fort Worth, watch what you say and where you say it....cuz if you open your mouth too much, it'll go from here on this thread straight to your interview for FW (if you make it that far). 3. how do you know that it is not a good department....u ever worked for a big city fire department? no...you havent....you are a college student at Tech (by the way...im from west texas too...and a lot of my friends go to tech, pretty sure I know how life is up in the panhandle) 4. ive worked fire before for a couple of years....and been posting on this forum for a long time now....just not under this name. dont smart off about how much you think you know because you went to college for some fire science degree in Oklahoma. "the average joe" huh? look at the name on the first post of this thread...figure it out!

lastly, just don't foget that dallas and fort worth admin/officers have connections....but you would know that if you knew anything about fort worth, like any other "average joe." Keep up the good work!

ATXMDX

Forum Member

A couple of buddies of mine in Texas said Dallas was one of the easier departments to get on with but sucked to work for??

Forum Member

Talking alright, alright....

ok, so 2 posts now...still no justification on why the department is bad, or sucks to work for. once again, anyone ever tested there, work there, anyone with a real connection to the department...why does it "suck to work there" and what is the written exam like?

I am sure that it is just like any other department in the country...fire is fire...is fire. you have a good officer on your eng. company, and a crew that you can laugh and have fun with on down time....your gettin' a paycheck every 2 weeks right....oh, but it SUCKS TO WORK FOR THE FIRE DEPARTMENT!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Best job in the world, no? A fireman is a part of the brotherhood no matter what the name of the city on the back of his bunker coat says. I'll bet that the last two of you that posted on this thread have never worked fire before...or have not been doing it long enough yet, no? am i right?

Someone with some real information please post.....it would be greatly appreciated to hear from someone that has some concrete facts/info.

ATXMDX

p.s. sorry for the hostility towards those with nothing to say, my bad!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    Hey TechGuy, before I started bad mouthing a dept I would make sure I had information to back it up. It's the 2nd largest fire dept in TX, I bet you have to be more than an "average joe" to be a Dallas firefighter.

I've always heard DFD was a bad dept, but No One can back it up...what makes them so bad?!?

Forum Member

Cool from a true DFD fireman

I find it interesting that NON-Dallas guys enjoy filling forums such as this one with half-truths and misinformation. Being a Dallas firefighter, I am qualified to post first-hand on DFD info.

A "busy" ambulance in Dallas is one that answers 5000 + runs per years. A "busy" ambulance, therefore, will answer an average of 13.69 runs per shift. My record is 26 runs during a 24 hour period and that has happened once in the 6 years I've been a paramedic in this system. There are certainly busier days and slower days but consistently answering 30 plus runs per shift does not happen.

As far as being "one of the worst" systems in the metroplex or the state, I have not seen any data that indicates that. I read alot about Texas FDs and fire-based EMS and have yet to see any figures or information to substantiate that claim. There are good paramedics and bad paramedics in any system - the number of which is proportional to the number of employees. By virtue of being a large organization, the number of good, mediocre, and bad apples will be greater that a FD that employs 10 FF.

The example you provided was a gunshot wound without a backboard or IV. One can debate patient care to the Nth degree but I'll agree that there are patients who are difficult "sticks" and there are patients who do NOT need a LSB (i.e. gunshot wound to the hand).

Dallas is a great department to work for and we have a great pension. The one thing that turns alot of folks away is the fact that all new hires must complete paramedic training and remain certified for their career. Those who have an issue with that should look elsewhere for employment. That being said, I can assure you that I am NOT a fan of riding the ambulance. If it was not required of me, I would not do it. I have, however, made "peace" with riding the ambulance - I am neither excited about it not upset about it. It is merely an aspect of the job that I must do (just like cleaning the bathrooms). I will, however, do ALL aspects of my job (paramedic included) to the best of my ability.

A paramedic-certified firefighter or driver/engineer will ride, on average four (4) shifts per month on the ambulance and the other shifts on the engine or truck. Our rotation is alot more liberal than other FDs in the Metroplex. Many require FF/PMs to ride EVERY shift (or 9 out of 10 per month); some require less. Dallas, by far, is a very easy rotation. Our main difference is the volume we answer compared to the suburbs. Those who ride it every shift may only average 4 - 6 runs a shift where we average double, sometimes triple that amount.

Dallas has its good and bad points. In my opinion, the good outway the bad but I am sure there are those who feel the inverse is true.

*****The above post (s) are MY opinion and do not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.*****

------------------------------------------------------

this is a post from a thread about how Dallas fire is a bad department from back in 2005....need i say more??

ATXMDX

Forum Member

I was an explorer with them for 2 years in highschool. Did about 8 shifts worth of ride outs. Do you read the paper or watch the news? There is always a lawsuit coming out of them involving some sort of race, gender, ect issue. One of my best friends mom is the fire marshal and dad was a firefigher for 28 years, just retired.

Forum Member

Cool ....still lookin', still lookin'

ok, ok....hard to believe that with your friends family having that type of hx. with a department that you would talk crap about it....but we'll go with your story. STILL NO FACTS....STILL NO REASON WHY DALLAS IS A BAD PLACE TO WORK!!! You gonna finish your post...or are you too scared to let the Dallas Fire department know who you are (that is if you haven't said too much by now), because you know that what you say here goes over to Forth Worth, real fast.

Finish the post Tech-boy!

ATXMDX

Forum Member

Relax please. In no way am I saying anything bad about Dallas firefighters, they have great response times, and give outstanding service to the citizens, but the department suffers from the same problems internally as the Dallas police dpt does. I will clarify if you don't know what i'm talking about. Both of the departments are getting better with the new administration, and I hope they continue the growth in morale. My point is that out of the big departments in tx, Dallas is not my first choice. Also, I never acted like i'm an expert in anything and have never brought up OSU, so I don't see the need to post that.. Just my opinion, so please stop the threats.

Forum Member

Talking

oh, no....not a threat. just a warning, or more a "heads-up" if you will. and no, im not trying to start anything...its just that i have been trying to get info about this department for a while now. every time that DFD gets brought up someone has to say "oh, that place is a terrible department to work for," yet no one ever has a reason why they think, or know so. they heard it from someone else, who heard it from someone else....before you know it, you have someone from North Carolina telling you that it is easy to get hired with??????? Just wondering because a long time ago I chose to go down the route of being a paramedic to make myself more marketable for a fire department....now that i've have been doing it and am ready to go back to a fire department, ive realized that it would be nice to get to continue using my college education and perform ALS skills while working as a fireman....understand....don't wanna leave texas, but FW, Lubbock, Austin, and SA don't have that....only Houston, and that would be quite the pay-cut...done looked at it.

Long story short....if you do have concrete information.....YES I would love for you to tell me why. I would greatly appreciate it.

ATXMDX

MembersZone Subscriber

Look ATXMDX, these people have been nice enough to post their thoughts, opinions, and whatever else they might know about Dallas, you should be greatful. Just because they don't always give you the info you want to hear, doesn't mean they are full of it, or bad mouthing the department, they are just giving you what they know. If you don't like the information you are getting here, then maybe you should do some of the leg work yourself, like going to Dallas and talking to someone in the administration office for concrete numbers and facts, or talk to some of the firefighters at the station and get their ideas and opinions on the department. That is about the best you can do, getting first hand information. Otherwise, accept what people here are willing to give you.

Mack

Forum Member

Smile thx

hey mack, thanks bro....posted with you before on a another subject....nice to see that you are still on here. i have seen from previous posts that you are from Plano, no? what do you know about DFD? you may not feel like answering...it would be nice though. about the whole traveling to Dallas to go to a house and talk to the FF themselves...planning on it, in about 2 weeks as a matter of fact. The whole point of this post was to find out if anyone on here has taken the written test and hopefully somone might remember what it covered, or what type of subjects were included? just a simple thing....have you taken the test there? that would be great!

ATXMDX

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey man, yeah I used to live in Plano, but now I live in Iowa, big change. I have not heard anything about Dallas other than what I have read on here. I was too young to test at Dallas while I still lived in Texas, so I am not really familiar with any of the departments in the metro. I am actively trying to get on with a bigger department in the midwest here, so I am probably of no help with info for Texas. Good luck with your research though and enjoy the time looking around Dallas and talking with the guys there.

Mack

The example you provided was a gunshot wound without a backboard or IV. One can debate patient care to the Nth degree but I'll agree that there are patients who are difficult "sticks" and there are patients who do NOT need a LSB (i.e. gunshot wound to the hand).
    Seen gunshot wound to the abdomen through and through. On a stretcher brought in to a LEVEL IV Trauma center with no backboard, no IV, and no Oxygen.

Seen a multi-pt MVC with 2 pts complaining of back and neck pain.... not on a backboard of C-Collar.

Seen a child having an asthma attack.... brought in on a cannula at 3LPM.

You want some crappy example, here they are.

I would love to work for DFD but you know what, for reasons I cant get into on here, i'll say one thing. Dallas is a very diverse department, prop's to them. They have vast number of blacks, whites, and mexican's on the department. But, they are looking for numbers, not quality.

They fight a lot of fire and a great retirement but multiple multiple stories out there of white guys being in the top 10 after agility, written, physical and medical and not getting hired while lower qualified people are based of skin color. If you really want to work there with that going on, more power to you.

Most everyone here has provided you with infomation on the department. Take it with an open ear but do what you really want. The written test is easy but they had a tough agility.
    every time that DFD gets brought up someone has to say "oh, that place is a terrible department to work for,"
    that should tell you something.

Their last test, 450 showed up according to the news and people who were there.

Take cities of equal size or even lesser size, like Fort Worth who has thousands show up. I bet even Arlington has right around that number show up. Like I said, just try to take this in stride

Forum Member

Wink ok, ok....

alright...thank you for the post. sad to hear the info about "hiring for numbers" because I just like 90% of our nations cadidates for FD, I'm causasion....too bad i guess. I have actually heard that statement before, but was from a source that was not credible and terrible throughout medic school(God-forbid he still has his license and hasn't killed someone), therefore probably didn't score well on the written in the first place. huh?

As far as the GSW through and through not on a LSB and No IV....ever heard or ran on a belligerent drunk/crackhead/gangbanger who the only reason he is in the back of your ambulance is because if he wasn't he was probably gonna get shot/stabbed again??? i know that in my current EMS/Fire system any pt. who is A&OX3 who refuses IV/C-collar/CID/LSB...whatever can refuse it...sign the reverse side of the PCR and be taken to the hospital how he pleases....w/o and iv(b/c he is "scared of needles, yet has track marks!), or not on a LSB/c-collar(because he wants to look tough for his gangbanger friends...smart, i know!). could this of been the case??

As for the kiddo having an asthma attack....i know, im gonna say something, but have you ever heard of someone being allergic to albuterol???done had that too, last week in fact. ok, so not NEB....epi sub-Q right? nope....done had someone allergic to EPI 1:1000 too! OH, wait......Mag Sulfate either NEB'ed in or IV....you know for the relaxation of the smooth muscles in your airways.....NOPE!!! Done had that too...not all on the same pt., but you get my drift?? no ALB, no EPI, no Mag.....no treatment (probably could've been an NRB though?)

i know what you are sayin about how many people test there in comparison to places like FW, Austin, SA.....take this into consideration. I have seen first hand the type people who come to take FW's written....come on please. there are some AMAZING candidates who will soon make some of the best FF in the country (and that is who will make it through the written and everything else), but have you taken a good solid look at those other 6,000 people in the room....i bet at least 1/2 of those people have never ever dreamed of actually being a fireman....just got off work at the Pak-a-Sak, or still wearin' their Whataburger work shirt/pants and thought, aw hell...i think ill go take the written test for the FD today! You only gotta have a ID, and a respiratory rate to take these tests.....? no?? Granted you are getting some of the best FF known, but that is where alot of your numbers go when you dont have to 1.) have 60 hours college as a pre-req. 2.) go to paramedic school and retain your license (much less work on an ambulance every other shift, cuz we all know that drives many away from testing there). could this be another reason why??

But hey, thanks again....it was nice to hear some information from someone up there. Just thought that I would throw out some possible justification. All of these problems that ya'll speak of sound like .......things that happen everywhere, no? My guess is that you are tryin' to say they happen every single day there...that can't be??

ATXMDX

Forum Member

I agree with you 100% atxmdx. If you hear any solid info please post it. Good luck!

Forum Member

ATXMDX,

I think you should have changed this thread to "Dallas Fire/Rescue, Please tell me only the good things you know about it". Just from your posts it seems you're going to make an excuse or reason away any possible negative thing you hear about Dallas. Thats fine, if you want to work there so badly then it's probably good to do that. BUT all the negative should at least make you have a "heads up" about what you POSSIBLY could be getting into. I don't know anything about Dallas other than what people have said, so no need to go there. If you aren't going to believe anyone else, Go There Yourself!

One last thing.....You had a patient allergic to epinephrine? I do believe that is impossible since it is adrenaline, naturally occuring in your body. But I would love to meet your patient that was

Forum Member

Wink 1 for you....1 for me

okay, okay....i do believe that you are right about part of your last post. I did put this post out hoping to find out some good information about Dallas Fire....also hoping to find someone that has taken the written test for reasons stated above. I know that everyone has bad things to say and all that I have done is make up some reason why it may not be true, real, or whatever...which may all be complete crap on my part and all of it may be true...can't blame a guy for tryin', no? Chalk one up for you!

On the other hand with your last post....lets have a little Pharmacology 101, shall we? Go do some research on Google, Yahoo, medicine.com...whatever site you prefer and look some version of Epinepherine allergies. You'll find something eye opening...that is if you know much about medications (I'm assuming that you are at least an EMT-Basic). I remembered my pt. that DID have an allergy to EPI say something about learning about this allergy to EPI while attending her dentist and having a tooth removed...or some kind of dental whatever. I also did not believe much about it, but I went ahead and wrote it down on my PCR. I go back to the station after dropping her off at the hospital and get on the computer....Low and Behold there are such people with a rare, but real, "allergy" to EPI. See check it out...

EPI has positive Ionotropic and Dromotropic effects (if you aren't familiar, very important to lesson...look it up), and when this supposed "allergic reaction" happens it does essentially the reverse to this person's ionotropic receptors in the cardiac muscles....makes the heart beat so hard that it "stuns" it, or basically makes that muscle have a charlie horse, and not able to work correctly, hence NO blood pressure!

Oh the irony!!! Talking about a child having an asthma attack and getting to the point of EPI (or otherwise a reactive airway)...what is the last thing you need with someone who is tachycardic and HYPOTENSIVE??????? a second reaction with MORE DROP IN BP??? SUUUUUURRRREEEEE, there is no such thing as an allergic reaction to EPI. It is all about the threshold for a medication, whether it exists in your body as adrenaline or not.....but you already knew that didn't you??

Nice try though.......Chalk that one up for me!

ATXMDX

P.S. oh yea, if you are gonna say something about the albuterol and how an allergy to that doesn't exist.....already got the answer for that one too. It is actually the packaging that it comes in all to often that some people, rare but real, are allergic to. anything else?? Thanks for the imput though.

MembersZone Subscriber

i revoke my statement that i initially intended to place on this forum

Thread Information