Thread: NOS system

Forum Member

Default NOS system

I want to know if you have any special S.O.P for car equip with N.O.S system like the one we see in the movie fast and furious.

Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sop

Our department does not currently have an SOP on NOS systems although i have worked a MVA involving NOS. As far as SOP's go, I would use the same guidelines that you would on an alternaive fueled vehicle such as CNG or propane.

Forum Member

Default Don't take lessons from movies.

Nitrous Oxide is an oxidizer. It is non-flammable.

The bottle valve is usually closed to prevent leaks. The only situation I could imagine you would encounter an open bottle would be a street race crash or a crash at a race track. If you do encounter a leaking hose, turn off the bottle. It is safe to breathe but may cause dizziness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UtilityCow View Post
    Nitrous Oxide is an oxidizer. It is non-flammable.

The bottle valve is usually closed to prevent leaks. The only situation I could imagine you would encounter an open bottle would be a street race crash or a crash at a race track. If you do encounter a leaking hose, turn off the bottle. It is safe to breathe but may cause dizziness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide

Nitrous Oxide is very flamable. Maybe not by itself, but in high enough temperatures it will break down.

Also, if the tank has a BLEVE, the release of compressed oxygen to the atmosphere can be quite dangerous.

Also, Don't just worry about whats in the tank, there could still be NOS left in the lines throughout the car.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Forum Member

N2O is classified by the DOT as a non-flammable gas. In an MVA, the small amounts you would be subject to should not be an issue and may even lessen the pain on the patient....Remember laughing gas at the dentist?? SOME medic services are experimenting with the use of N2O in the ambulance
    Last edited by Frmboybuck; 04-05-2007 at 06:26 AM. Reason: i cant type

Forum Member

N2O Is In Hillsborough County, Fl EMS Protocols. At Least It Was Several Years Ago. I Never Met A Medic That Used It Or Checked It At The Start Of The Shift. They May Have Eliminated It By Now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post
    Nitrous Oxide is very flamable. Maybe not by itself, but in high enough temperatures it will break down.

Also, if the tank has a BLEVE, the release of compressed oxygen to the atmosphere can be quite dangerous.

Also, Don't just worry about whats in the tank, there could still be NOS left in the lines throughout the car.
    Nitrous oxide is not flammable. It cannot be heated to high temperatures because it would be consumed in the fire as an oxidizer.

The tanks are equipped with a safety blow off disc to prevent over pressurization. This will release the contents of the bottle when the bottle is exposed to high temperatures well before it could BLEVE. When the disc goes, and there is fire present, it will cause an increase in fire intensity and fire growth until the bottle is empty. I've never seen this so I can't say exactly what to expect. This situation is no longer an extrication issue. That's a fire suppression and recovery scene.

The line used for nitrous is very small, I wouldn't expect any significant amount to remain. Besides, a responsible racer would bleed off the remaining pressure in the line to extend the life of the solenoid.

There are other parts to a nitrous oxide system. Nitrous systems require an increased fuel flow, often using larger than OEM hose, high volume fuel pumps, or multiple fuel pumps. You might find fuel lines routed through unexpected places. Look out for fuel pump(s) that could be wired independently of the ignition. Some people wire accessories to dash mounted switches that allow operation without a key. Listen carefully for the high pitched whine from the rear of the vehicle. Disconnecting the battery should eliminate the running condition, but fuel injection systems maintain a residual pressure.

I knew a person that was experimenting with a combination of nitrous and propane injection. He used 2 nitrous bottles mounted in the hatch area of the car, but one was filled with propane. It may be wise to err on the side of caution.

Forum Member

Here is a picture of the tank and relief valve he is talking about.

http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Forum Member

FWIW, automotive grade nitrous oxide has hydrogen sulfide in it. Presumably so you can smell if you have a leak, it also makes it impossible to huff it without getting sick.

Forum Member

You can smell medical grade nitrous.....It smells and tastes sweet

MembersZone Subscriber

We had a interesting car fire a couple of weeks ago in a car that had a NOS system.

This guy built a really nice street racer from an 90's era Camaro. NOS system. High performance everything except the motor mounts. The car had some much torque, he snapped the motor mounts.

He takes it into a repair shop to have new mounts put in. The car is up on the lift in the shop while they are welding new mounts. Somehow the car starts on fire. Maybe from the fuel lines being moved.

Anyway we arrived to the auto shop with heavy smoke coming out of the open roll up door. I look in side, the smoke is bank down below the car which is flaming on. We had to lower the lift to bring the car down to our level to extinguish. Wish I had video of the flaming car coming down the lift.

NOS system was damage by the fire. No way to tell if the burst disc burst. We are unsure if there the bottle was still charged. We cooled the bottle and let the shop owner deal with it.
    Mike
    Fire Captain

Forum Member

NOS is a brand. NOS makes lots of things.
    N2O is the chemical symbol for Nitrous Oxide.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Who cares about the "technical" name.......Everyone knows what he was talking about

Forum Member

I know. Its one of those pet peeves of mine for some reason.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frmboybuck View Post
    N2O is classified by the DOT as a non-flammable gas. In an MVA, the small amounts you would be subject to should not be an issue and may even lessen the pain on the patient....Remember laughing gas at the dentist?? SOME medic services are experimenting with the use of N2O in the ambulance
    Experimenting???? We had Nitro-Ox on our squad in 1983 when I first got into the EMS side of this business. It was GREAT for things like moving patients with dislocated joints and such. Temporary pain relief with no lasting side effects.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Its kind of went by the wayside though MetalMedic......Its starting to make a comeback in some parts of the country

Thread Information