Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pio

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pio

Not for nothing, but the PIO for the National Park Service did an outstanding job during the search for Michael Auberry. Efficient. Timely. Relevant. Cooperative. Presence. Courtesy. Everything you look for in a PIO.

(Yeah. I know. The search teams did an outstanding job. However, PIO is a subject not often talked about here, so I thought it was worth the discussion).

Thumbs up

Isn't it nice to hear some good news once in a while ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

The PIO is one of the most overlooked positions at a major incident. If you don't have someone to give information the media, they will gice the public "misinformation"...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I attended a seminar where a fire chief who had a mill fire spoke about the incident.

He mentioned the importance of assigning a PIO for major incidents how he learned this lesson the hard way. Since there was no official PIO available, the TV reporter found the "town drunk with two teeth" to comment on the air about the fire.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Very true, you never hear about the PIO.

Yes, she did a wonderful job with the whole thing.

It sure is nice to hear something good for a change.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Wow, its nice to see "the Feds" mentioned on FH without incompetent being the operative word.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NonSurfinCaFF View Post
    Wow, its nice to see "the Feds" mentioned on FH without incompetent being the operative word.
    Maybe some of that NIMS stuff really works
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219 View Post
    I attended a seminar where a fire chief who had a mill fire spoke about the incident.

He mentioned the importance of assigning a PIO for major incidents how he learned this lesson the hard way. Since there was no official PIO available, the TV reporter found the "town drunk with two teeth" to comment on the air about the fire.
    That reporter will also find the one FF in your FD who will self-appoint as PIO. And you know who they will find...

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    That reporter will also find the one FF in your FD who will self-appoint as PIO. And you know who they will find...

Either the FD's #1 malcontent or the probie just out of the academy!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

The No1 tip I was given by our media services dept is; always treat a microphone as if its live all the time!!

Having said that, being able to say something informed rather than "No comment" will in most cases prevent reporters syaing what they like. We normally go along the lines of "the incident is still in its early stages and is currently being actively investigated to establish a cause. Further information will be provided when its available". I've used this a number of times and it usually works as it sounds like something is happening, even when it may not.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Either the FD's #1 malcontent or the probie just out of the academy!
    Or the one whose IQ matches the number of teeth in his head.

MembersZone Subscriber

No comment = I'm hiding something I don't want you to know.

Forum Member

The local news station around Paducah Ky has what I heard called "stealth cameras".That little red light that we tell our girlfriends means the camera isn't turned on has been disabled or covered up so they set up and wait for a bunch of people to congregate and start talking about the scene.
    Like you said,assume the camera is on and the microphone is live.Turn down the volume of your radio or pager and don't make it easy for them to get the story.
    And keep the new guys under "adult supervision".They aren't as familiar with media policiy and will believe a hot reporter when she says,"This isn't for my story.What happened here?..."
    The last time I advised a reporter to find the Chief or A/C,she went to the A/C's house to get her story when no one was still at the station after a call. Since his BBQ was interrupted for something other than a wreck or fire,he was not happy with who sent her and he did find me out.

Quote Originally Posted by martinm View Post
    The No1 tip I was given by our media services dept is; always treat a microphone as if its live all the time!!

Having said that, being able to say something informed rather than "No comment" will in most cases prevent reporters syaing what they like. We normally go along the lines of "the incident is still in its early stages and is currently being actively investigated to establish a cause. Further information will be provided when its available". I've used this a number of times and it usually works as it sounds like something is happening, even when it may not.

Forum Member

Or,"I don't know"really DOES mean "I don't know".
    Too many reporters read how a President was forced to resign from office and want to score something just as big to show what a good reporter they are.
    Even if a FF is trying to carry out an assigned task and doesn't have the time to tell a story,he isn't necessarily hiding something.
    We all know that.

No comment = I'm hiding something I don't want you to know.

PIO is the face of the incident......use a pretty boy who can charm the chick reporters

On a side note:
    I was speaking to a Chief of the department after a LODD who was not a big believer in the incident command system prior to the incident that took one of his men. He stated to me that he has become an IC convert and that without the system, the service and all the things leading up to it would have been a mess. He also singled out the PIO has his right arm, who always had the right info for the press and the departments that were to attend the service
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    The local news station around Paducah Ky has what I heard called "stealth cameras".That little red light that we tell our girlfriends means the camera isn't turned on has been disabled or covered up so they set up and wait for a bunch of people to congregate and start talking about the scene.
    Like you said,assume the camera is on and the microphone is live.Turn down the volume of your radio or pager and don't make it easy for them to get the story.
    And keep the new guys under "adult supervision".They aren't as familiar with media policiy and will believe a hot reporter when she says,"This isn't for my story.What happened here?..."
    The last time I advised a reporter to find the Chief or A/C,she went to the A/C's house to get her story when no one was still at the station after a call. Since his BBQ was interrupted for something other than a wreck or fire,he was not happy with who sent her and he did find me out.
    Electronically intercepting a conversation surreptitiously is an illegal wiretap. If you catch them doing this, this is a super-serious criminal act.

MembersZone Subscriber

Electronically intercepting a conversation surreptitiously is an illegal wiretap. If you catch them doing this, this is a super-serious criminal act.
    Has anyone ever followed up on this with the hidden camera type news stories?

I always found it disturbing that a news crew would go into a private business, record the conversation and video, and broadcast it on the news. Granted, they have exposed some real dirt bags this way, but does the ends justify the means?
    -------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone ever followed up on this with the hidden camera type news stories?

I always found it disturbing that a news crew would go into a private business, record the conversation and video, and broadcast it on the news. Granted, they have exposed some real dirt bags this way, but does the ends justify the means?

Unless it is done clandestinely, there may not be a problem. If I have a camera stuck in your face and you keep talking, that could be construed as consent.

MembersZone Subscriber

It can't count the number of times I have watched someone continue to talk with a camera or tape recorder in front of their face when their best option was to keep quite. I believe it is called the "seven seconds of silence"-you feel you have to say something if the reporter is looking at you, so you just talk away.

My question is in reference to the hidden camera (John Stossel "Give me a Break") type stories. The reporter will use a hidden camera and microphone to catch businesses ripping off customers.
    -------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

It can't count the number of times I have watched someone continue to talk with a camera or tape recorder in front of their face when their best option was to keep quite. I believe it is called the "seven seconds of silence"-you feel you have to say something if the reporter is looking at you, so you just talk away.

My question is in reference to the hidden camera (John Stossel "Give me a Break") type stories. The reporter will use a hidden camera and microphone to catch businesses ripping off customers.
    I'm not certain, but in some states it's OK if one party to the conversation gives consent.

Thread Information