Forum Member

Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Default 1980's Pierce Arrow Refurb

Can anyone help me out with an IDEA of what this might cost....We are looking to refurb our 1985 Pierce Arrow. Of course, we will go through the new NFPA requirements for refurb, and we are looking to do a few other things such as replace the warning lights with LED, replace the steel tank with a poly tank, add a brow light to the front, etc....

My question on cost relates to enclosing the cab. It is a 1984 Pierce Arrow, with the canopy cab. We are wanting to enclose the cab to a four-door, climate-controlled, cab. Has anyone on here done this before/yet/whatever? If you have, can you provide me some information on the cost? If you had other things done, let me know. We are also looking for ideas on some stuff to do.

Before it gets brought up about replacing the truck, we also have a 1978 Ford C-8000 that is a two-man cab. We will be replacing that truck before we replace the Arrow. The Arrow is also in VERY good shape, and could just a refurb and good overhaul. The drivetrain, pump, tranny, engine, body, paint, etc is in good shape. The truck is just outdated. By doing the refurb, we feel we could probably get another 10-15 years out of the truck.

I would appreciate your assistance.

Forum Member

We had a refurb done at pierce west in Ontario on a 1988 Lance that included a paint job, rebuild the pump, upgrade the pump panel, put in a poly tank and a few other minor things for about $26,000 but that was several years ago. The big part as I see it is the cab. Who will do the work? Good luck on your endeavors.

Forum Member

Default If you are out east...

The company formerly known as EJ Murphy (a KME dealer(?), brush breaker manufacturer, repair center) does do cab enclosures, though I have only seen it on a KME. They do not have a website and the name may have changed. Anyone know what their called?

Forum Member

Just remembered I could look up KME dealers on their site--the company is now called Bulldog Fire Apparatus. EJ Murphy still sort of exists...

Bulldog is located in the same location as the former KME factory branch and will service the regionís sales needs trading as Bulldog Fire Apparatus and will service the regionís service and parts needs trading as E.J. Murphy Company. Bulldog and E.J. Murphy co. offer a full range of support including experienced sales representatives, service at the facility or at the fire station, parts, training, testing, and technical support.

Forum Member

I'm not a kool-aid drinker by any stretch of the imagination, but is there any reason why you wouldn't want to use Pierce's own refurb shop? Seems to me that they're pretty active, or were at one time. The work that I've seen from there was quite good. In your case, no doubt they'd want to put a whole new cab on and go from there.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Forum Member

We are planning on looking into Pierce, as well as a few local companies that do this work. I just wanted to get some input from anyone who has used Pierce, or anyone else, to do this type of work. It does not have to be a Pierce Arrow cab either, a dash or similar model would work. Honestly, if you have an e-one or KME or whatever that was enclosed, I would like to know what you did with the truck and what the cost was.

Forum Member

A department out here had Pierce refurb three of their 1985 Pierce Arrow engines. They put new bodies on them and converted the 2 door canopy cabs to 4 doors. They did not have Pierce open up the front of the cab so that it had a grill for increased engine cooling, which I believe led to some overheating problems. Keep in mind this is a mild climate out here -- if you're in Illinois, you've probably got more heat in the summer than we do. Installing that grill to get air into the engine from the front of the rig will probably be pretty critical if you want enclose the cab with 4 doors and keep it from overheating in the summer. The more modern Pierce Arrows had this grill standard.

http://www.centralpiercefire.org is their website. Try contacting somebody there for more info.

Pics below.

Forum Member

I know a County beside me had Pierce do a refurb which included enclosing cabs on 4 Arrow tankers. It is Floyd Co. Virginia. This is their homepage.

http://www.floydcova.org/departments...partment.shtml

I hope this helps.

Forum Member

My department looked into having our 1986 Arrow refurbed and the cab enclosed. The price Pierce gave us 2 years ago was approx. $150,000. I don't know what this included.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GFD940 View Post
    My department looked into having our 1986 Arrow refurbed and the cab enclosed. The price Pierce gave us 2 years ago was approx. $150,000. I don't know what this included.
    Why spend over $ 150,000 on a 20 year old arrow pumper when you could buy a new Pierce Saber or Custom Contender for $250,000 - $ 275,000 ?
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-20-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    Why spend over $ 150,000 on a 20 year old arrow pumper when you could buy a new Pierce Saber or Custom Contender for $250,000 - $ 275,000 ?
    I'd say there is a pretty fair difference in price between 150 and 250 grand. Not all departments have that extra 100 ready and waiting. Like SWFD said, it has 15 more years in it.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post
    I'd say there is a pretty fair difference in price between 150 and 250 grand. Not all departments have that extra 100 ready and waiting. Like SWFD said, it has 15 more years in it.
    A new 2007 Pierce Saber would be in service for 20-25 years at a cost of $ 100,000 more,There rebuilt Arrow pumper will be in front line service for " 37yrs " , will the engine,tranny,pump, rear axle,fire body, hold up ?
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 03-25-2007 at 07:38 PM.

Forum Member

"Why spend over $ 150,000 on a 20 year old arrow pumper when you could buy a new Pierce Saber or Custom Contender for $250,000 - $ 275,000 ?"

We have not and will not have the truck refurbed for this reason. Our mayor didn't understand why we needed a new truck to replace one that has 39,000 miles on it so we got the numbers for him. Unfortunately, two years later we are still waiting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    "Pierce gave us 2 years ago was approx. $150,000. I don't know what this included"

Think that might be important?

Forum Member

We will be meeting with the Pierce rep on Tuesday night of next week. We will see what happens from there.

As far as replacing the vehicle....as was stated already (some people should really read a little more closely); we are going to replace our 1978 Ford/Pierce first as it is a two man cab. We are looking to replace this truck in about 5-7 years. After that, it will still be 10-14 years before we replace the Pierce. Therefore/ that is 15-21 years from this date before the Arrow is replaced. After replacing the Ford/Pierce; it will be moved to front-line status and the arrow will go to more of a reserve status (in that it won't respond as often and won't be first out on many calls). It makes more sense to us to do this; especially since we are looking at grant money to do this.

Forum Member

"Think that might be important?

Sorry I don't have all the details. This was handled by our chief at our officers meetings. At the present, peon is not an officer at our department so I was not in attendance.

I am pretty sure this included the enclosure, pump re-build, new tank and paint job. I don't know if it included a new body or not.

Thread Information