Forum Member

Exclamation FDNY, criminal record question

Hi, I just got the package/paperwork for the next step of the FDNY for Investigation/Medical. Im 30 years old. When I was 19 I was arrested for possesion of narcotics (small amount) and was later convicted for that with a violation with community service. I've since learned my lesson and have led a clean life by going to school, working and becoming a volunteer fireman at my town fire department. I even became a certified EMT but unfortunately my license just expired and I did not take the refresher course which I need to do and will. I havent been arrested for any crimes since or even received a traffic ticket. I made a mistake when I was a kid and learned my lesson. 11 years later, Im a different person. Anyway, I really want to get onto the FDNY, I've been waiting for the call back since I took the test a few years ago. Will this charge keep me from getting in? I hate to think that a stupid mistake that I made as a kid will keep me from becoming a fireman.
    Thanks for any input.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tnt0224 View Post
    Hi, I just got the package/paperwork for the next step of the FDNY for Investigation/Medical. Im 30 years old. When I was 19 I was arrested for possesion of narcotics (small amount) and was later convicted for that with a violation with community service. I've since learned my lesson and have led a clean life by going to school, working and becoming a volunteer fireman at my town fire department. I even became a certified EMT but unfortunately my license just expired and I did not take the refresher course which I need to do and will. I havent been arrested for any crimes since or even received a traffic ticket. I made a mistake when I was a kid and learned my lesson. 11 years later, Im a different person. Anyway, I really want to get onto the FDNY, I've been waiting for the call back since I took the test a few years ago. Will this charge keep me from getting in? I hate to think that a stupid mistake that I made as a kid will keep me from becoming a fireman.
    Thanks for any input.
    Fill out the paperwork and let the system do it's work. I believe there are stipulations such as longer probationary periods, stuff like that. The process is competative and people will tell you that you wont have a shot. DO NOT listen to these people!!! that is why they have this process. it is up to the CID investigators and the department if it will effect you to get on. If you don't go through with it then you wont get on. by the way what is your list # ( don't post the entire number )and when are you going to turn in your packet?
    Last edited by kingofdahill; 03-21-2007 at 12:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

go for it - you'll be fine

Forum Member

Thanks. Im not getting my hopes up but I really want to get on. Thanks for the positive feedback, hope they can look past it since it's been so long.
    I dont know my list # off the top of my head, my exam # was 2043 and I hand everything in at the end of april.

Thread Information