Forum Member

Default Going on A Ridealong

Hi Everyone,

I got the chance to do a FD Ridealong with my Dept, should i bring anything with me besides maybe a small notebook? What would they think if i bought my Motorola HT just to have to listen to? I want to have a radio with me but i dont think they would let me use one of theirs.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AFDExplorer View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I got the chance to do a FD Ridealong with my Dept, should i bring anything with me besides maybe a small notebook? What would they think if i bought my Motorola HT just to have to listen to? I want to have a radio with me but i dont think they would let me use one of theirs.

Thanks
    If you're an explorer with that dept, then you'll be issued everything you need. Why did you lay out your own cash for an HT as an explorer??? Personally, if they wanted you to have a radio, they would give you one--the fact that they won't let you use one of theirs should be saying something to you...
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Skip the radio.

I could elaborate on the many reasons why but I don't feel like typing all of it. Just skip it.

Have fun and stay out of the way.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

if you got some spare change show up with some ice cream or donuts. Trust me the crew will like that.

When I did a ride-along here, they provided everything I needed. I just asked questions when I could and they explained the rest. I just made sure I was out of the way. It was actually very interesting and informative. Hope you enjoy.

Forum Member

Take a pad and pen or pencil instead.Maybe a set of earplugs.You'll be kept close to the rig and they are noisy when pumping water.
    Ask questions when people aren't giving or receiving orders and stay clear of when they are moving stuff around.When the rig is being checked out is an excellent time to ask where things are and how they are used.
    You're really there to observe and not take part in the work.
    Ride alongs are designed to give you a taste of what fire and emergency medical work is about without putting you in danger.
    If you happen to be allowed to see any patients,be sure that you don't go around telling about how they were found and what happened to them.If someone advises you to leave the room,for example,do so.You don't want to violate someone's privacy anymore than you'd want yours violated and there are often things you might not want to see.
    If you'll be at the station at meal time,be able to pay a share of the meal.It won't be much.Here in Memphis when I did my EMT clinicals,it was about 5 bucks.Extra cash for if y'all stop on the way back to quarters will be useful.In that situation,offer to go in especially if they're still wearing bunker pants and not really presentable.They'd appreciate a go-fer in that case.
    I do hope that you enjoy your ride along.The first engine I rode in was when I had attended my first meeting with my volunteer department.I was offered a ride back to the station near my house and they explained a lot of the department's politics and how the equipment was used while on the way.
    Good luck with it.

Forum Member

I would agree with everything that has been said, but to reiterate it, DO NOT BRING THE RADIO!

That is all.

Have a good time and let us know how it went.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Yeah I'll have to go with the others on this one.....There's no need for you to bring and/or have a radio. You'll look like an ***** for starters. I would stay fine tuned to learning the ropes and observing the basics.

You might think you know the basics....but believe me - 18 years as a firefighter both as a career man and a volunteer and I've only tipped the ice-berg. Radios are for later.

Hey...BTW enjoy your ride along - wish they had 'em when I first started out.

The department I ride out with supplies me with all the essentials I need. Anything extra like a knife or little things like that is extra that I buy myself. I dont see why an explorer would need an radio, I am almost always with a fireman on calls and can listen off their radios. I do have a scanner at home though where I listen to calls that go out and the radio operations but thats it.

Forum Member

So,
    Skip my HT, Bring some extra cash, maybe around 5 - 10 bucks, a notebook if i want? I dont know if i should wear my explorers uniform or dress pants a a white shirt. What do you guys think?

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't be late, be at least ten minutes early if you have a specific appointment time. Wear the uniform, but bring your civvies just in case and check with the OIC for his/her preference on your appearance when you arrive. For ridealongs it is typical to request that observers not appear as crewmembers, as the uninformed bystanders may not be able to distinguish you from the regular crew and may get the wrong impression of you just standing around or asking questions (don't those people know what they're doing??!!) Civvies = don't wear anything that you don't want to ruin or get dirty or get caught in the weather with for any amount of time. Think durable slacks or dark jeans, clean dark T-shirt, polo shirt or sweatshirt (no hoods, belly pockets or markings). Durable low-key jacket if appropriate. You do not want to call attention to yourself on a scene by being dressed like you were going to a job interview.

If you can manage, $20 is a better figure. Better to have too much than not enough, doubt you'll use it all.

Again, good luck and have fun.
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

When in doubt ask your advisor or the OIC at the station if you can. My post you are in uniform. Just a question. What should I bring for my first ridealong? Pie, Ice cream or something else?

Forum Member

should i offer to carry stuff on scene? also do they let you wear the headsets to listen to the radio or are they for talking to each other on the truck?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want to bring treats, some folks like portable/durable (take it with you if needed) stuff like donuts and a 12 pack of Coke, others like the more formal family fare of pie and ice cream. Use your judgement, we don't know the crew you're visiting. Whatever you do, make sure you bring more than enough to go around! Worse to bring too little than nothing at all.

Headsets are to allow the crew to converse with each other and/or listen to the dispatch radio when driving/riding. Ask about this in advance, they may have reasons to want you wearing one or not, or there may not be enough to go around.

I would suggest you avoid injecting yourself into situations by offering to carry stuff. Just make it plain by your actions and attention that you're willing to help. The crew will not be shy of asking you for it if they want your assistance. Which reminds me, it might not be a bad idea to bring some light or medium duty leather work gloves just in case, but don't wave them around in an obvious manner. No one likes the showboat.

Good questions.
    Last edited by ElectricHoser; 03-22-2007 at 03:25 AM.

Forum Member

Thanks For All The Help ElectricHoser and everyone else, might have a few more questions before the 7th of April, but if i do ill let you guys know. Thank You..

Forum Member

also do they let you wear the headsets to listen to the radio or are they for talking to each other on the truck?
    Both...and amazingly, there are PTT buttons for the front-seaters (foot pedal for the engineer, dash button for the officer) to use the headsets to talk on the radio, too, hands-free like.

I guess the biggest question I have for you is: if you're an explorer with a dept, don't you have an advisor? Post policies and regulations? If you're doing a ride-along with your department, why not go look up what uniform is required (if any) for explorers riding out in your department's explorer policies? Why not ask your department's explorer advisor what you're allowed to do and what's a no-go?
    It is, after all, your department, not ours, and any answers we may give come from our departments ways of doings things and our experiences, which may or may not be applicable to your department...

Besides, asking your advisor would show them you're an interested and responsible explorer, checking on facts before needing to know.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Extra socks

Even if the weather looks like it will be dry, some schmuck will manage to get hurt in the biggest mud puddle in town (heck he might have been the one that made it) and no matter where you are your feet will get wet/muddy. Ive not been on a ride along yet where this hasnt happened. Maybe Im just lucky that way

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    if you're an explorer with a dept, don't you have an advisor? Post policies and regulations?
    How interesting. All this time I thought this was a ride along with a different department (not your own). I see now that this is not the case. 1141 is absolutely correct, I would hope you have some type of advisor/mentor person that you should ask at least some of these questions to. Not saying that asking here is wrong, but your local in-house leadership is the best resource. After all, we're just anonymous typists on the Internet, and I have not stayed at Holiday Inn Express recently, either.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Just got a email saying that the Dept i was going to ride out with is not accepting people under 16 years old now. So its all off now. =/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    How interesting. All this time I thought this was a ride along with a different department (not your own). I see now that this is not the case. 1141 is absolutely correct, I would hope you have some type of advisor/mentor person that you should ask at least some of these questions to. Not saying that asking here is wrong, but your local in-house leadership is the best resource. After all, we're just anonymous typists on the Internet, and I have not stayed at Holiday Inn Express recently, either.
    Now that I re-read it, im not sure if he is an explorer.

I don't know for sure, so if you are, let me know.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry bro...don't let it discourage you

Forum Member

okay, i am a explorer, with the nieghboring city FD of my city since the city i live in does not have a post. I then applied at my city FD for a ride along since my post's dept does not allow them.

Forum Member

okay, i am a explorer, with the nieghboring city FD of my city since the city i live in does not have a post. I then applied at my city FD for a ride along since my post's dept does not allow them.
    Gotcha. RFxplr326 does the same thing at our post. He lives in the neighboring town and does his ride alongs there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    Gotcha. RFxplr326 does the same thing at our post. He lives in the neighboring town and does his ride alongs there.
    And my next one's this coming Wenesday.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Cool

lucky,..i wouldnt even care if it was a ride down the block, i just want to ride in a engine, have wanted to alot of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    And my next one's this coming Wenesday.

Thread Information