Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nashville, Tenn

PipemanE1

Default Nashville, Tenn

Has anybody applied to Nashville, just wondering what the departments like, its benefits, and what the Nashville area is like.

Default Nashville Fire

I just applied the other day, you can get more info on the department at http://www.nashfire.org. And you can also get info on pay and benefits at http://www.nashville.gov/hr_benefits/jobs/index.htm. you may have to look around on there for a while but you'll find it. I'm trying to get some more info on the written and physical tests. Anyone out there have any advice they could lend?

MembersZone Subscriber

5 yrs to get vested in pension. pension system is fixing to change. 10 holidays. 5 vac. dys every 3 mo. accumulative sick dys to 120 dys. 15 med units in halls to expand to 17 in next 3 mo.

Forum Member

I'm a FF/EMT-P in another 'large' metro city in Tennessee and I'm looking into applying with Nashville (personal and family relocation having to do partly with it). I know they are accepting applications for the pos. of FIRE RECRUIT. I'm assuming that they will get a number of Paramedics from other departments applying (such as myself). That being said, what will they do with the FIRE RECRUITS that are Paramedics? Will they be assigned to an ALS engine/truck or sent to ride an ambulance? Assigned Fire Division? Assigned EMS Division? Any ideas from the ones within...?

MembersZone Subscriber

I was at the NFD Academy the other day. Online applications have been overwhelming.
    So far, I was told over 300. There was a sign on the doors of all of the buildings showing the directions to the office for applications. During budget hearings March 14th, Chief ask for 48 Paramedics.

That being said, what will they do with the FIRE RECRUITS that are Paramedics?

Everybody will ride the med unit during the fire academy. Everybody will be credentialed by the EMS training staff for the medical Director. After you get out you will be assigned. They are expanding the Medical static units from 15 to 17. 24/7. Normally fire recruits will travel and fill in spots during work test eval.(6 mo.)

Reality check: Youíre on, what difference does it make.

Will they be assigned to an ALS engine/truck or sent to ride an ambulance? Assigned Fire Division? Assigned EMS Division? Any ideas from the ones within...?

They have started a new program. Rapid Triage response vehicles in the halls. They are putting FF/Paramedics on them. This would suggest to me that the bid system for assignment will start to be limited. In the past the FF/Paramedics were able to bid out of ALS engines and get the pay doing basic EMT.

Another reality check: Youíre on, what difference does it make

Get on, see who is actually running things, stay neutral on opinions, donít refer to previous jobs(youíll be told real quick thatís not how we do it here), make friends, donít burn bridges on your way up in your career.

Forum Member

Question

Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out...if there is anyone that actually know what has happened in the past with FF/EMT-P RECRUITS and not just the PARAMEDIC RECRUITS that are solicited on the EMS side. My question (and concern) is that I have a good job where I am and I have worked hard to be where I want to be--an ALS Engine on a large Metro Fire Department. I would just like to know if that is something that I will have to work towards again starting back on a Unit again--which I will, but I would just like a heads-up. I guess I just want to know if PARAMEDIC RECRUITS are kept on ambulances and the ems division and if FF RECRUITS are kept on fire apparatus on the fire division--or are the interchangeable as most things seem to be.?.?

-Thanks for the help.

When do you guys think that the academy will be from this test.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not aware of any changes that will let a FF/PMD go from engine to medic unit. Occasionally, they will let some EMS Medics cross over and go through the academy for transfer. I haven't heard about this go around.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tnfiremedic View Post
    I'm not aware of any changes that will let a FF/PMD go from engine to medic unit. Occasionally, they will let some EMS Medics cross over and go through the academy for transfer. I haven't heard about this go around.
    Ok, yeah, that makes sense. You said earlier that the FD requisitioned 48 new PMDs. Is that Fire Division, EMS Division, or a combination? (I'm trying to keep everything straight--I don't know how similiar the organizational structure of NFD is to where I am now).

MembersZone Subscriber

the Chief ask for 48. that doesn't mean he'll get them.

www.nashville.gov

Budget hearings are on the front page in video.

Forum Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just applied to nashville fire. I have 4 years with a dept. and i am a medic, and I have a couple questions hopefully someone can answer. 1 is the fire and ems seperate or do they make the guys go between both. 2 do you get any credit for having experience? thanks hope someone can help.
    mike

Forum Member

i listened to the video, and he did ask for 48 medics to staff 4 new als transport units.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tpafire5 View Post
    i listened to the video, and he did ask for 48 medics to staff 4 new als transport units.

Yes, I know. I listened to it. That wasn't my question. I was just stating the fact the requisition of 48 Medics are for the EMS/Ambulance side of things--nothing to do with the FIRE RECRUIT process. If I'm wrong, please correct me someone who can confirm...

Just wondering if any one knows when they are planning on holding a class from the new list that will be generated this summer. I am praying that they will wait till next year to hire off of the list.

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by nwadler View Post
    Just wondering if any one knows when they are planning on holding a class from the new list that will be generated this summer. I am praying that they will wait till next year to hire off of the list.
    Why's that? I'm sure everyone else is praying that they hire tomorrow...

My reasoning is because I graduate with my bachelors in business in December of this year.

Forum Member

My reasoning is because I graduate with my bachelors in business in December of this year.
    Well, congrats. However, I think that if I were in the same situation and got the call from NFD, then I would take a semester or two off in a heartbeat and finish my BA later. Just my two cents (it's usually worth less than that thought...lol). Congrats and good luck!

Just got my testing/cpat date today. Looking forward to going down.

Forum Member

Just got my testing/cpat date today. Looking forward to going down.
    April 24th?

May 21st is the date I was given. I am pumped now because school will not be an issue in the fall. Time to get running.

Thread Information