Forum Member

Default A fitting tribute.

Navy names destroyer after first Marine Medal of Honor recipient from War on Terror.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17709451/

Navy destroyer to be named after heroic Marine
    Dunham died when he fell on a grenade in Iraq to save his comrades

AP file Marine Cpl. Jason Dunham, 22, died in 2004.

Updated: 10:01 p.m. ET March 20, 2007
    WASHINGTON - The U.S. Navy will name a destroyer after Cpl. Jason Dunham, a young Marine from western New York who fell on a grenade in Iraq to save his comrades.

Dunham was already posthumously awarded a Medal of Honor for the selfless act. The emotional White House ceremony in January was attended by President Bush and the Marine's parents.

Dunham, of Scio, N.Y., saved at least two lives by acting quickly during a struggle with an insurgent near the Syrian border.

The Navy will name its newest guided missile destroyer the USS Jason Dunham, New York lawmakers said Tuesday. A formal ceremony in Scio with Navy Secretary Donald Winters is scheduled for Friday.

Sen. Charles Schumer called the destroyer naming "another fitting tribute to his life and humbling heroism."

Rep. Randy Kuhl, R-Hammondsport, whose district includes Scio, said the destroyer will be another way to ensure that "Jason and his heroic, selfless acts will long be remembered."

In April 2004, Dunham, 22, received a report that a Marine convoy had been ambushed, according to a Marine Corps account. Dunham led his men to the site near Husaybah, halting a convoy of departing cars. An insurgent in one of the vehicles grabbed him by the throat when he went to search the car and the two fought.

A grenade was dropped, and Dunham covered the explosive with his Kevlar helmet, which, along with his chest armor plate, absorbed some of the blast.

He lived long enough to be transferred to a Bethesda, Md., hospital, where he died with his parents beside him.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Amen Brother. Semper Fi.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

There's still people that wouldn't understand Cpl Dunham's sacrifice.

Forum Member

Beat me to it (again). Good job DaSharkie.

Semper fi.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    There's still people that wouldn't understand Cpl Dunham's sacrifice.
    Quite true. And Sad.

Cpl. Dunham is one of those guys most people (including many of us) aren't fit to carry luggage for.

(Sorry to beat you to it, just see it as my unofficial duty to spread the word of great men and women.)

Semper Fi! to you too Top.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Cpl. Dunham is one of those guys most people (including many of us) aren't fit to carry luggage for.

Semper Fi! to you too Top.
    Ain't that the truth!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up The true heroes.

Many of us have served in Iraq and afghanistan. I am proud of my Purple Heart but the honest truth is (and I belive that 99.9% of all other active duty/Reserves feel this way), the true heroes are coming home in metal boxes or to a totally altered lifestyle because they are missing eyes and limbs.

Semper Fi,

FMF Doc

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireDoc99 View Post
    Many of us have served in Iraq and afghanistan. I am proud of my Purple Heart but the honest truth is (and I belive that 99.9% of all other active duty/Reserves feel this way), the true heroes are coming home in metal boxes or to a totally altered lifestyle because they are missing eyes and limbs.

Semper Fi,

FMF Doc
    In my opinion, to me, ANYONE over there serving is a hero. Thank you very much for your service, I personally appreiciate it. You guys don't get enough credit.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information