Thread: Sacrifice

Forum Member

Default Sacrifice

Having served with (not in) the 3rd Marines while at Kanehohe, this story struck a nerve a bit closer to home for me.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17715403/

Tillman’s college roommate deployed to Iraq
    Staat was defensive lineman for Steelers, Rams, then played Arena ball

AP file Pat Tillman gave up a $1.2 million NFL contract to join the Army Rangers. He was killed in Afghanistan by friendly fire in April, 2004.

Updated: 9:35 a.m. ET March 21, 2007
    HONOLULU - A former NFL player who joined the Marines and was motivated by college roommate Pat Tillman, who died in Afghanistan, was heading for the war in Iraq Tuesday night.

Lance Cpl. Jeremy Staat, a former defensive lineman for the Pittsburgh Steelers and St. Louis Rams who had been playing Arena Football, was one of 300 Marines in the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment being deployed from Kaneohe Bay. The unit is expected to be in Iraq for seven months.

“The way I look at it, we’re spreading freedom, and you have to support the troops and you have to support the war,” Staat, 29, told KITV in Honolulu on Tuesday as he prepared to leave from Hawaii. “You can’t just tell some Marine who just lost his buddy that we supported you but not the war, because in that case you’re basically saying that Marine, his buddy, just died for nothing. We’re one team.”

Tillman, who played defensive back for the Arizona Cardinals, was killed by friendly fire near the Pakistan-Afghanistan border in April 2004. The Defense Department is investigating allegations of a coverup, including the Army’s failure to tell Tillman’s family for several weeks that he had been killed by gunfire from his fellow Army Rangers, not by enemy fire, as they initially were told.

Tillman gave up a $1.2 million NFL contract to join the Army Rangers.

Staat said he felt compelled to join the military after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, but Tillman, who was his roommate at Arizona State, advised him to stay with professional football until he qualified for retirement benefits.

“I felt there is more to life than just a game,” Staat said, adding that Tillman’s death helped motivate him to enlist.

Staat played for the Steelers from 1998-2000, and played two games with the Rams in 2003. He was playing for the Los Angeles Avengers of the Arena Football League before being put on the league’s suspended list.

He graduated from the San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot in March 2006.

To enlist, the 6-foot-5 Staat said last year he dropped from 310 to 260 pounds. He said three months of boot camp training gave him a deeper appreciation for team camaraderie.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Kudos to LCpl Staat.

God Speed
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

DaSharkie,

From the way you started your post, I am assuming that you were in the military. I would not only like to use my post as THANK YOU to both LCpl Staat and to you. Individuals like you and LCpl Stat allow this country to be the greatest in the world!

Again, Thank You!
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    DaSharkie,

From the way you started your post, I am assuming that you were in the military. I would not only like to use my post as THANK YOU to both LCpl Staat and to you. Individuals like you and LCpl Stat allow this country to be the greatest in the world!

Again, Thank You!
    I served in the Marine Corps. Worked with many folks from 3rd Marine Regiment, my barracks was right next theirs.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Those of us who have done it know that serving your country in peacetime or war,with a bunch of pros or a bunch of a**bags,is not a sacrifice but a privelege.
    USS Mahan DDG 42
    1985-1988

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Those of us who have done it know that serving your country in peacetime or war,with a bunch of pros or a bunch of a**bags,is not a sacrifice but a privelege.
    USS Mahan DDG 42
    1985-1988
    I agree, but it is nice to see some of those folks pass up 7 figure salaries to put on a PFC chevron and make $1,000 a month. That is the sacrifice. Knowing that you WILL be sent into harm's way, instead of sitting in your Escalade hanging out with movie stars.

And this guy with a college education signed up enlisted instead of as an officer.

Corporal, United States Marine Corps
    First Radio Battalion
    Fleet Marine Forces, Pacific
    1992-1995

I may not have liked everyone I served with, but they were a fine bunch of men and I would have easily and readily given my life for every one of them - and they would have done the same for me.

A privilege indeed.

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    USS Mahan DDG 42
    1985-1988

this is so true... it's nice to see stuff like this from time to time.

-Damien
    USN USS Independence CV-62 1/98~6/98 (Decom.)
    USN USS Kitty Hawk CV-63 6/98~5/02
    USN NAF Misawa, Japan 5/02~4/05
    USAF Minnesota Air Natl. Guard 7/06~now

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Sacrifice of more than just a muli-figure salary. Sacrifice from the family for the separation of the T.O.D. Sometimes I think thats worse than the drop in salary or even the living conditions of being overseas. At least most of the time I was too busy to be concerned with myself. I think the families back home likely have the worst of it, sometimes.

As for the rest: What the heck. I've been "floating around" in uniform for a long time too. Coming to 20 years at the end of July this year.

Enlisted July 87
    Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) {Armoured} United Nations Cyprus Aug 88/Feb 89
    HMCS RESTIGOUCHE 92/94
    HMCS CALGARY 97/00 (WESTPLOY/PACEX 99)
    HMCS VANCOUVER (USS JOHN C. STENNIS BTL GP) OP APPOLLO/OP ENDURING FREEDOM Roto 00 (Oct 01/Mar 02)

Projected retirement: SUMMER 2012! 25 years (although if I wanted to be "nasty" I could leave at the end of this summer.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Thank You!

Every one tells me "thank you for your service" (military and emergency). Just wanted to pass the same on to those of you who serve beside me.

I hit my one year retirement anniversary on 31 March. I did 23 years in the Navy as a Corpsman and spent most of it as an Fleet Marine Force (FMF) bubba. I got shot in Iraq in 2003 while flying Casualty Evacuation in An Nasariyah. I would rather get hit again than do physical therapy, it hurt less...

My son is geting ready to make his 2nd deployment (18 months!). I never thought 24 years ago that my son and I would end up fighting in the same conflict.

It is great to see so many brothers and sisters who have served. From the military to Fire/EMS......I am honored to be in that "proud to serve" and "sacrifice for others" catagory with all of you.

Thread Information