Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gear washer

MembersZone Subscriber

Question gear washer

Were looking at a gear washer for this years grant which brand is the most reliable
    and cost efficient (UniMac, Milnor .Continental)

Forum Member

Default We have a Contenintal ordered

We got a 2006 Grant for a gear washer and FRC Drying system.

Not sure which is better, local dealer sold Continental's - only problem is that its been on backorder for 2 months.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gear washer

We purchased a Continental on our 2005 AFG. It is a 30 lb soft mount with an electronic controller. It does a very good job, found out after the fact that the hard mount would have saved us some money. Be sure to get an installed price, the different brands of washers were close in price but the big difference was set up! A few other departments in our area have the Continental washer and have had good luck so far.

Forum Member

We have a Milnor, and we love it so far. Make sure you look at the installation instructions closely. Had to bolt that thing down well. We also went with the "Dehydrator" drying system. Works well, and drys 3 sets quickly.

We have been using a hard mounted, Dexter, Thoroughbred washer/extractor for a couple of years and have nothing but good to say about it. It does an excellent job of cleaning our gear and has been maintenance free. The bid specs included delivery and installation. I ran the 3 inch drain line and water supply lines. A Capt., who is an electrican, ran the power supply. The delivery/installer guy connected the unit to our water, drain, & electric lines. He also drilled the concrete floor and bolted the washer down.

The major reasons that we bought Dexter was: 1 - the vendor is located in our end of the state. 2 - it is a well established business. 3 - it has an excellent reputation of providing timely service. 4 - the cost was within our budget.

Forum Member

Default Extractors

I am working on this project too. I have gotten quotes on Unimac, Continental, Maytag, and Milnor. Many people that I have talked to say that the Unimac or Milnor have the highest duty. I met with a guy that has two Milnors that has washed over a 1000 turnouts a month for the last 5 years. He has only change the seal in the doors. That is great if you are running these machines 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. I found both coming in the $9,000 plus with installation, tax and shipping.

We are a volunteer department that runs about 300 calls a year. In our case the washer will get used maybe every couple weeks at most. The Continental and the Maytag are 40%-50% less. When you talk to the sales people they will say that their washer/extractor will pull more G's than the competition. I have herd that if your extractor is pulling more than 100G's it will void the manufactures warrantee on the PPE. So if the extractor will turn more than 100G's you have to install a retarder if the machine won’t program down. Now am leaning toward the Maytag MFR30PN. http://www.caldwellandgregory.com/br...30PNCLP765.pdf
    I got a quote on it of $3,951.00 before tax and install. The company that sells the Citrosqueeze will come and install a pump for the detergent and program any of these washers. So, you have a button programmed for 1. Outer turnout, 2. Liner turnout, 3. Wildland, 4. Station uniforms, 5. etc. Citrosqueeze is that product that is recommended safe by the Mills that make the PPE materials.
    Last edited by FFDFFD; 03-25-2007 at 02:58 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

We purchased a Unimat 18. It will wash 2 sets of shells or liners at a time. Cost around $5,300 fully installed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Milnor

We have a Milnor that we bought probably five years ago. We've never had to place a service call on it. Just remember that Milnor Gear Guardian's are built specifically for firefighting gear. most of the competitors are nothing more than laundromat heavy duty washers. Just some food for thought.

Forum Member
    Poland, right next to Russia, Town that is.

Bump

We are considering a second gear washer for our second station +10 miles from station #1. Will the grant program allow two washers one in each station due to the distance between the two and that they are stand alone based? All volunteer very rural area.
    Always confident, ever vigilant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Attack6 View Post
    We have a Milnor, and we love it so far. Make sure you look at the installation instructions closely. Had to bolt that thing down well. We also went with the "Dehydrator" drying system. Works well, and drys 3 sets quickly.
    Attack6 and SLY4420 could you guys check your private messages and shoot me an email. Need some help with a washer and extractor issue.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default limit on extractors

Last year the limit on an extractor was $9,000. Don't know if that will increase any, but I thought it might help you in making your choice.

Thread Information