Forum Member

Default possibly moving to NC, question about FF certification transfer

Hoping maybe someone from NC might be able to answer this for me, I'm a volunteer FF here in NJ and currently hold an FF1 & FF2 certification here and my family is considering moving to NC, my question is if I moved with them down to NC would my NJ FF1 & 2 certifications be able to be transfered, or would I have to go through fire school again in NC after joining a department there?
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Don't know for sure but you can call NC Fire and Rescue Division and they may be able to answer your questions.... number is 1-800-634-7854... hope that helps...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ifsac

From what I have read IFSAC is your best bet. I didn't see NJ as a IFSAC member. Here is the link to the state fire marshall's office regarding certification. This lays it out for you.

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/FireAndRes...r_transfer.asp

SMT

Forum Member

thanks guys
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

I've had 3 members move to NC. Soon after, they each called here looking for copies of all their certificates on record. I'm assuming the training must have been able to transfer since they were looking for that information and I know they are all working their now.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by meteoman View Post
    From what I have read IFSAC is your best bet. I didn't see NJ as a IFSAC member. Here is the link to the state fire marshall's office regarding certification. This lays it out for you.

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/FireAndRes...r_transfer.asp

SMT
    My department has encountered "immigrants" from other states in the past. The ones who were not from IFSAC accredited states had to complete the FF certification process all over.

If there is a loophole, it may be easier to re-certify than to jump through all the hoops.

Not what you wanted to hear, but I agree with others you should contact DOI for an official ruling.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/FireAndRes...on/FR_home.asp

Check it out and call the number posted. Ask to speak to Brandy Maynard- she can tell you everything you need to know.
    "If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the Gods to honour the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"
    Smokey
    Local 4124

Good thing's happening

Hey Guys i moved Down to Wake Forest NC in December....From NYC and was up in NYC at school for half a semester and finally decided to go with what my heart was telling me to do and been telling me to do since i was lil and decided i would try to join the local FD being that they will be accepting applications soon and i just ordered a weighted vest to help me start training...and was wondering what special advice would help me i.e books , websites , anything really im open to everything...
    Last edited by eaglesrule1024; 05-14-2007 at 09:48 AM.

Thread Information