Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Indianapolis Application Process 2007/2008

INDIANAPOLIS FIRE DEPARTMENT IS ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS

Indianapolis, IN - The Indianapolis Fire Department is accepting applications for persons interested in a career in firefighting. Starting salary is $36,876 and will increase to $51,575 in the 3rd year. Benefits include paid vacation, health insurance and pension plan. New recruits receive 22 weeks of paid fire science and emergency medical instruction.

To apply you must be 21 to 36 years of age, possess a high school diploma or GED and have no felony convictions. You must possess a valid driverís license throughout the entire application process. Upon your appointment, you must reside in Marion County or a surrounding county.

Applications will be accepted:

April 9th to May 18th, 2007

9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday - Friday

Indianapolis Fire Department Headquarters

555 North New Jersey Street

Indianapolis, IN 46204

Or via the Web: www.indygov.org/ifd

Also check the Recruitment section on the IFD website for more information.

The Indianapolis Fire Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
    Last edited by IFDFFENG20; 03-06-2008 at 07:29 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

i filled out the online app a month or so ago...is that all i need to do? also, any ideas when they'll begin the testing process? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I called a couple of weeks ago when to expect and application and to change my address. The answer I got was that for people who filled out the online form would be mailed an application packet in the mail by the begining of April. Now, wheather or not they stick by this I dont know. I am going to wait till about the 2nd week in April to call again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone who filled out the online information since the end of the last process will be contacted for this process and given the information needed to proceed. If you are in doubt or changed your information since last time, fill it out again. The initial phase of the hiring process goes til May 18th so wait until after then to receive further instructions. I expect the written test to occur in July, but don't hold me to that just yet. I will pass on details as they become available.

MembersZone Subscriber

TY, and keep us posted.

Master Firefighter

If the testing will be in July then when would the first academy be expected

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nwadler View Post
    If the testing will be in July then when would the first academy be expected
    That's hard to tell. 43 recruits just started March 19th and they are expecting a second class later this year from that same list. I would guess sometime next year would be the first time they would hire from the new process.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was looking at the recruitment section on the city's website and it said you have to pick up a packet in person with valid ID blah blah...
    They also had a link to apply online.
    So I'm wondering if you have to pick up an application in person or can you apply online, will they mail one to you then?
    Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Once you have signed up online or in person at HQ, they will notify you of a time to show up and sign up for the test, study session, and watch a video of the CPAT. You also verify your personal information during this time. Seems redundant, I know, but it's how they do it. If I hear differently, I will post instructions here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply.
    Did a ridealong in Indy while on vacation some years ago. Debating whether to make the 8 hour drive just to do that, not even take a test.
    Thanks again!

MembersZone Subscriber

Do residents get preference? Is it difficult for people out of state to be hired? Whats the written consist of?

Forum Member

Do you know if they are accepting cpat cards from ESEC?

MembersZone Subscriber

No Cpat cards will be accepted. Anyone making it that far in the process will have to take the CPAT. Check out the recruitment FAQ's on the IFD website.

http://www.indygov.org/eGov/City/DPS...tment/home.htm

Forum Member

I looked at the application for the Goshen, IN fire dept. Right on the bottom it said the city does not discriminate against age, etc. Elsewhere on the application it says you must be under the age of 36 to be appointed to the job of firefighter. What's the deal? And why does the state of Indiana put a cap on the age one can join? A 37 year old man can't do the job? Sorry for the tangent but just want to know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy View Post
    I looked at the application for the Goshen, IN fire dept. Right on the bottom it said the city does not discriminate against age, etc. Elsewhere on the application it says you must be under the age of 36 to be appointed to the job of firefighter. What's the deal? And why does the state of Indiana put a cap on the age one can join? A 37 year old man can't do the job? Sorry for the tangent but just want to know.
    Its not just in IN. Its pretty much all over the country especially for the big metropolitian fire departments. Yeah, it sucks and I agree with you. Age should not matter as long as you can do the job and pass everything just like everyone else.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pugsley6485 View Post
    Its not just in IN. Its pretty much all over the country especially for the big metropolitian fire departments. Yeah, it sucks and I agree with you. Age should not matter as long as you can do the job and pass everything just like everyone else.
    Wow, that sucks for lack of a better word. Here in Canada you can apply until you're 65. May not get the job but it'll be because you probably won't pass the physical and not because of your age.

Indiana PERF states that you have to be between the ages of 21 and 35 to start. That's where they get the age requirements from.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is a state pension law for Indiana, not a fire department rule. You also have to be 21 to apply, but in some states only 18. I don't know the reasoning behind it, it's just how it is.

Forum Member

Any word on the date of the written exam? Where do they run the CPAT now? Thanks.
    Pete

Forum Member

Has a date been set for the written exam?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know an official date, but I think July has been mentioned. The CPAT is done at our repair shops in one of the garages that has enough room.

How is the attitude in Indy.....good, bad, indifferent. Firefighter support for the admin? How is equipment and moral for training? Is the job security there and the financial situation good in Indy? Just wondering about applying and would like to make sure of these things before doing so. Does fire deal alot in EMS. Squad companies, rescue companies? Manning for the equipment and firefighter safety? How is the outlook for the city? Thanks for the info, looking forward to more insight.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are going through growing pains. We are in the midst of taking in all of the township fire departments to form a county-wide department (cost savings) which will double IFD's size. Right now we have 31 engines and 17 ladders. 5 battalions. Consolidation of all county departments can be a good thing, but it will come with some sacrifices. We have 43 in recruit class now with plans to hire more in the very near future from a previous list. Alot of retirements in the last 3-4 years because of the DROP program. Overall morale is good, but until we know how the merger is going to pan out, it's wait and see.
    Financially we just agreed to a 4 year deal that IMO was very good, considering the financial times. 12% increase over the next 4 years plus other benefits. We do alot of ems, but we also see alot of fire in some parts of the city. Manning is 4 on all engs. and ladders. We have 2 person squads in some houses that are first out on ems runs. I don't know how long they'll last when we merge all the departments. (Sacrifices) We also stand to lose a couple of stations that are located too close to newly merged areas. (Sacrifice). We've got it alot better here than other cities I've heard about lately.

MembersZone Subscriber

Signup starts today!!!!!!

Forum Member

What are the informational sessions in April/May going to cover?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... Last

Thread Information