Damn this post brings back some memories. No, I didn't work out at Vinnell, but just down the road at King Fahad National Guard Hospital. I worked as a medic for 2 years there.

Those who have been to Saudi can attest that it is a totally different world! I was there from 97-99 and cannot even imagine what it is now? It had the time of my life though! I would do it again in a heart beat. In fact, I fell in love with the contract employment and came home for "couple months" and met a girl.... There went that.

If you are considering contract work in a foreign country, please consider more than the pay. Like I mentioned, it is a whole different world. People can tend to get a bit lop-sided in these situations where they are making great cash, have little responsibility and are 6000 miles from home. When people ask why I left if I was having such a great time, I always say I had to get back to reality. Anyone who has lived the life understands.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.... But please, remember there is alot more to it than the money.

BTW I remember getting a WHOLE BOX of Cubans for something like $50 in Riyadh when I was there!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Todays Life on Eskan Village

Having spent a couple of years working in the dirt hole to the north, being locked down on base no where to go, same old stuff day in day out. Todayís life on Eskan Village compared to the above named place is a 100% better. Keep in mind you lose about 3K a month but your not being degraded by some 3 or 4 year wonder who with a firefighter cert. and the ability to work the system now makes life a living hell for those who have any real experience on the job. Vinnell Arabia on the other hand isn't the perfect environment but itís so much better than Iraq. The staff here is easy going and actually friendly. You have freedom to move around on or off base. Having not been here for the turmoil of the years previous I have no preconceived notions or knowledge of the old days. And for me the old days were quit challenging, but not here. My best assessment of this place is: for the money its good, for the state of the economy back home its excellent. If you get your foot in the door, come on! You'll find life here pretty easy to deal with and money is still good too.

Default Missing the point!

It seems a lot are missing the point of this here. Maybe the money is still good, it was never bad just kept getting worse. The point is to make everyone aware of the shady working of Bob Coffee and his staff. In May 2007, the staffing was doubled to 14/shift. The company new they couldnt afford to pay what they had in the past yet they continued to recruit with that payscale. When I flew in there were about 8 guys with me. Had they been honest and up front about the pay and how they calculated it, maybe it wouldnt have been such a problem. But myself along with several others were hired and given false information about how we would be paid. To get on the ground and 2 weeks later find out you are loosing at min $1800.00 month is a big blow, and the fact that they wanted to retro it to the 1st of the month was even worse. My first month I worked 25 shifts and some worked more with as much as 11 days straight. You do that and then get told your not going to be paid for it and see how you like it. The company does not care about its employess. We where offered by Coffee to leave the contract with no retribution and no loss of money from the final paycheck. When a couple guys elected to do this and started out processing HR took the cost of flights and some hours off the check and said that is what is owed, and when presented to MR. Coffee he played dumb. Some guys walked out with less than $500.00 of a $6,000-$7,000.00 pay check. After reviewing both Air Force policy and local labor laws it was determined that it is illegal to pay the way they do. Check it out gentlemen, its black and white and available on the web. The Air Force new about it but did not want to get involved. You guys that are new after all this happened and making comments on it are discredited. You werent there, werent recruited under false pretenses, and have no right to comment on it. I am glad your happy there, but there are other companies who have a lot stiffer back bone and pay what they should. I chose that direction and am glad I did. Eskan is not a bad place to live, the department has a lot of frustrating moments but overall not a bad experience. Just glad I left when I did. There were a lot of us that planned 2-3 year tours but management refused to be honest so it was time to fly.

Forum Member

Default Thanks!

Good advice from someone who has been there. Thanks for the info. Be safe my Brother......
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinggage View Post
    Damn this post brings back some memories. No, I didn't work out at Vinnell, but just down the road at King Fahad National Guard Hospital. I worked as a medic for 2 years there.

Those who have been to Saudi can attest that it is a totally different world! I was there from 97-99 and cannot even imagine what it is now? It had the time of my life though! I would do it again in a heart beat. In fact, I fell in love with the contract employment and came home for "couple months" and met a girl.... There went that.

If you are considering contract work in a foreign country, please consider more than the pay. Like I mentioned, it is a whole different world. People can tend to get a bit lop-sided in these situations where they are making great cash, have little responsibility and are 6000 miles from home. When people ask why I left if I was having such a great time, I always say I had to get back to reality. Anyone who has lived the life understands.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.... But please, remember there is alot more to it than the money.

BTW I remember getting a WHOLE BOX of Cubans for something like $50 in Riyadh when I was there!

Forum Member

Talking Thanks!

You too DF! Posts like that are very helpful to those of us considering this life. Be safe and God Bless.

Terence

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFire1009 View Post
    Having spent a couple of years working in the dirt hole to the north, being locked down on base no where to go, same old stuff day in day out. Todayís life on Eskan Village compared to the above named place is a 100% better. Keep in mind you lose about 3K a month but your not being degraded by some 3 or 4 year wonder who with a firefighter cert. and the ability to work the system now makes life a living hell for those who have any real experience on the job. Vinnell Arabia on the other hand isn't the perfect environment but itís so much better than Iraq. The staff here is easy going and actually friendly. You have freedom to move around on or off base. Having not been here for the turmoil of the years previous I have no preconceived notions or knowledge of the old days. And for me the old days were quit challenging, but not here. My best assessment of this place is: for the money its good, for the state of the economy back home its excellent. If you get your foot in the door, come on! You'll find life here pretty easy to deal with and money is still good too.

TRMCC, are you ignorant? How is info on how mid and upper level management will treat you, the history of paycuts, etc.. not usefull? This is info from people who were there, some for several years. It WAS one of the best contracts out there until 2007.

Pull your nose out of what ever ***** its up and take a breath of fresh air. Your not thinking clearly!!!!

Forum Member

Default Wow

Quote Originally Posted by Visionary911 View Post
    I will break down the information on Vinnell using a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being good:

The company: -1

The leadership: 2, There are a few good people there, but have very little contract experience

Trust In the Leadership: -4

Pay and Benefits: 2, it was above 5 but the new contract added more positions and reduced the overall pay.

overall experience: 1, only work here if you are desperate.
    Maybe I am that desperate. I mean I could go work for anybody after a tour with these guys right, and make a ton of money?

Forum Member

Default Shut the Hell Up!

It must really suck to be you. keep your comments to yourself and thank God you have a job. this is a noble mission worthy of more than you give it. You and all your crybaby friends should be thanking God that you have the opportunity to serve your country and make a boat load of cash while doing it. I have three brothers doing allot more over there for allot less. You should be ashamed of yourself! You make me want to puke you bigmouth immature jerk.
    Quote Originally Posted by charger1995 View Post
    TRMCC, are you ignorant? How is info on how mid and upper level management will treat you, the history of paycuts, etc.. not usefull? This is info from people who were there, some for several years. It WAS one of the best contracts out there until 2007.

Pull your nose out of what ever ***** its up and take a breath of fresh air. Your not thinking clearly!!!!

Forum Member

Default trmmccc or Terrance

I thought you would of learned your lesson on the other thread. You over the hill hillbilly. You are not overthere or anywhere for that matter so go back to talking about things you know.

Forum Member

Default Hello there!

Hey pal I missed you! I knew I could shake you out of the bushes> You are wrong about one thing, I'm not over the hill. Had enough to give it to my sister real good last night eeeeehhhaahhhh! I hope the Easter Bunny was good to you. Be safe!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy12 View Post
    I thought you would of learned your lesson on the other thread. You over the hill hillbilly. You are not overthere or anywhere for that matter so go back to talking about things you know.

Forum Member

Whats the pay like for a job over there?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vinnell Arabia - Any Update?

Any update on the recruitment of personnel for this contractor? Read some of the past threads regarding pay hovering around $60k a year with the $5.00 standby pay overnight has this changed at all? Any information would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LtMedic35 View Post
    Any update on the recruitment of personnel for this contractor? Read some of the past threads regarding pay hovering around $60k a year with the $5.00 standby pay overnight has this changed at all? Any information would be appreciated.
    Not sure Brother but the recruiters name is Jim Bonynge and his email is as follows: Jim.bonynge@ngc.com . Best of luck,I hope this helps!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LtMedic35 View Post
    Also check this link to a current job posting for FF/EMT....Good Luck!
    http://www.dodfire.com/JOBS/FF_EMT_KSA.pdf

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a few friends there. I hear fires are few and far between. But in this economy most are happy to have a job in there chosen career field.

Forum Member

I am looking for anyone working for vinnell in eskan who can answer some questions that I have. I applied and was told that my app was forward to Saudi and I should hear something soon. That was about 8 weeks ago and I call the recruiter every week, as he has asked me to do, but he never has any new info. All my certifications are IFSAC and I am an emt. Are they looking to add any firefighters,and if so how soon? I am looking to do this for about 5 years or more. Any help or info would be great. Thanks

Forum Member

Is Jim Bonynge legit and a real recruiter? He emailed me this week about joining vinnell Arabia
    Last edited by nalentae; 02-07-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

not sure about jim, but northrop is good made a great F14!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...ll_Corporation

Forum Member

Also he gave me a quick deployment date is that normal? I told him i was missing my arff cert but he insisted that I accept vinnell Arabia/ northrop grumman offer, was told they would train me, and I have a possible training date. Does this sound like a legit offer?

C41
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by devildog4 View Post
    garypoe4454 must be Gary Franck!?
    Gary....are you still active on this website? My last name is also Franck-also involved in the fire service. It would be nice to hear your stories about your time overseas!!! (PM me if you see this)

Thread Information