Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anyone work with Vinnell Arabia

Hello, Just wondering if anyone works for or has worked for Vinnell arabia in Saudi?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default vinnell and the KSA

I worked with Vinnell Arabia, when they won the contract to provide Fire Protection out side Riyadh KSA. I arrived on 11/17/01 and on 12/1/01 the USAF Personnel were free to move up into Afghanistan.
    We lived on the Saudi Nat Guard/Vinnell Compound, it was the “American Compound” that was attacked by terrorist in early 03 you saw it on the news. I lost good friends in that attack.
    Vinnell like most Contract Fire Protection Departments took the management stance that Fire Fighters are like any other worker; they did not understand us or our needs. We had a GREAT Chief that taught us (those who were not useto to the Contract Fire Biz) about the way of the Contract world and at the same time taught the Office Managers about the fire world.
    It was an interesting learning experience.
    Vinnell gave us good food, good health care, we had “transport SUV” that we could use to go in to town or out into the desert. The pay was good and now it is better. At that time you did not need to be an EMT-P now you do I see in the latest DoD add.
    We worked 24 on 24 off with a “Kelly day” off and there was all the OT you wanted.
    All in all working for Vinnell was not bad at all. I would go back to the KSA as an Asst Chief in a moment.
    If you wish to have a more in depth conversation let me have your E-mail address and I can hook you up with 3 or 4 people who were there from 01 to 03

Forum Member

garypoe4454 must be Gary Franck!?

Forum Member

Thumbs down More information on Vinnell

Quote Originally Posted by firemedicl4045 View Post
    Hello, Just wondering if anyone works for or has worked for Vinnell arabia in Saudi?
    From what I have heard Vinnell won the contract again and made a lot of changes. The pay dropped alot for one and very little or no OT. They made some personnel changes and promoted a very young fire chief with limited experience.

From the input I have received Vinnell is one of the companies to stay away from unless you are desperate for a job, it is very political. There are a few good guys still there, but they are battling the political red tape and worried about the back stabbing from their supervisors. Overall a very negative situation.

Visionary911

Forum Member

Thumbs down Information On Vinnell

From what I have heard Vinnell won the contract again, but they pay will drop along with some benefits. There will also be little or no OT as extra positions were bid in to cover leave.

Vinnell also promoted a young chief and the political situation has the good guys still there running scared. The people I know that have worked there tell me people are walking on egg shells and nobody trusts the decisions by Vinnell and some leaders in the department.

Overall it is a negative place and should be avoided unless you are desperate for a job.

Forum Member

Default Gary Lovett

Quote Originally Posted by devildog4 View Post
    garypoe4454 must be Gary Franck!?
    Or Gary Lovett

Forum Member

Default Vinnell Reply

From what I have heard Vinnell re-won the contract, but it resulted in less pay and almost no OT. They promoted a young chief and the few good guys left are foced to tread lightly as they can't trust leadership there.

Forum Member

Default Vinnell Reply

I will break down the information on Vinnell using a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being good:

The company: -1

The leadership: 2, There are a few good people there, but have very little contract experience

Trust In the Leadership: -4

Pay and Benefits: 2, it was above 5 but the new contract added more positions and reduced the overall pay.

overall experience: 1, only work here if you are desperate.

Forum Member

Angry

Vinnell is the worst company out there at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedicl4045 View Post

Default Current Status

I understand there are bad feelings about any place but does anyone know anyone there now or how it is now instead of just hearing through the grapevine. The only reason I ask is because they have numerous openings and would like the current scoop.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireResQ2U View Post
    I understand there are bad feelings about any place but does anyone know anyone there now or how it is now instead of just hearing through the grapevine. The only reason I ask is because they have numerous openings and would like the current scoop.
    Beleive me I know several people there. "The Good Guys". The situation at the moment is that they are making about 10,000 a month, but as soon as they hire the remaining personnel required under their contract they will have too many people and actually there will be at least 3 people off everyday as they bumped up the bid to cover for leave and that is typically where you would make extra for OT.

If you want to get in for a few months to make some quick money do it, but when they are fully staffed you will be luck to make 5,000 a month.

MembersZone Subscriber

So besides the company and management BS what is the other conditions?? Living, any good working fires, food, co-workers for the most part, equipment??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hamman0512 View Post
    So besides the company and management BS what is the other conditions?? Living, any good working fires, food, co-workers for the most part, equipment??
    Hamman,

The working conditions are ok there. Most of the guys split a villa to live in. The equipment is modern for the most part, but being on a established base there is a good fire prevention program and very few fires. This is an different contract. No contractors are permitted to use the Dinning facilty, PX, or APO. This is a GOV issue and causes problems. There are several places to eat on base and the FD villas have stoves, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you don't mind email me at b_hamman0512@hotmail.com please

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hamman0512 View Post
    If you don't mind email me at b_hamman0512@hotmail.com please
    Hamman,

I just found out that Vinnell cut the pay and are now paying standby pay for 9 hours a day at 5.00 a hour. This prevents the fire fighters from making their base pay, basically you will be working in Saudi for around 50 to 60 k a year max. I knew this was comming from the inputs I have received. Vinnell simply bid this wrong.

I can't email at this point sorry as it will get some people in trouble if people know who I am.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am currently working for Vinnell at the moment. While a little of the information that has been presented here has some validity, the writer apparantly is getting most of his information erroneously. If there hard feelings towards management here I am not aware of them, and highly encourage anyone who has issues to bring them forward so they can be dealt with appropriately.

If anyone wants to know the real scoop here at Eskan please contact myself or someone who is actually here at the minute. Dont rely on second hand garbage generated by the callous and uniformed.
    Last edited by smokinjoesoper; 05-15-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: not able to prove or disprove some info

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoesoper View Post
    If anyone wants to know the real scoop here at Eskan please contact myself or someone who is actually here at the minute. Dont rely on second hand garbage generated by the callous and uniformed.

How may we contact yourself or somebody working there at the minute? Real information would be a lovely thing to have.

Jeff

bassviking@yahoo.com

Thumbs down Truth

I am also currently with Vinnell in SA. The working conditions here are actually pretty decent and there are no serious issues with the leadership within the department. However, it is true that they did make a major change to our pay scale which includes a standby pay of 5.00 an hour from 9:00 PM to 6:00 AM. This is pretty drastic and is going to seriously affect our overtime pay somewhere to the tune of about three to four thousand dollars this month.

Forum Member

Default Truth

Slow down all. I didn't call out anybody directly in any negative fashion. I simply stated what is out on the street at the moment. I will summerize those now.

Vinnell in general treats the FD poorly. True.
    Vinnell is cutting pay. True
    Vinell did promote a young chief. True.
    FD can't use the DFAC, APO, PX. True.
    Vinnell is still short staffed. True.
    Once fully staffed, pay will drop more. True.
    Therre are enternal issues at the FD. True.

If nothing I say has merritt then way are people getting defensive? There is nothing negative about anybody in the station at all. Its all derected at Vinnell and the poor decisons made.

I am slated to deploy on the 6th of June to Saudi. I am new to the world of contract firefighting and was wondering if I could get in contact with some of you who are already at Eskan Village. Thanks!

Chris

Thread Information