MembersZone Subscriber

Default To old????? Feedback welcome

Everyone, your feedback would be welcomed. I'm 36, have two bachelor's degrees basically in pre-med, I served 4 years in the army, I've gotten my emt-b license, currently in ff 1 and 2 which ends in july, in august I start paramedic school. I know some departments won't even look at me due to my age but there are others who don't look at age. I've heard from the younger crowd i'm to old and from the older crowd i'm not, and that my age may have benefits. With my current background and upon completion of paramedic school in your honost opinions do I have a better than average chance of getting on with a department?
    Thanks for all answers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile yes

As far as I now, Civil service is the only ones that look at age. The department I work for doesn't have any age requirements. Most big departments are Civil service, so you may want to look at the smaller or medium sized departments in your area. I have a good friend that I met in the academy and later went to medic school with that is 36 and he has been on with 2 departments with no problem...Go for it!!

stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Default No Way! You are prime time for fire time

A local and well respected department just hired a band of six recruits and one of them is 43. That die hard bulletproof gung ho attitude of the young guys is replaced with wisdom and common sense. Its reminds me of being in a class and watching a bunch of the young guys strategizing a forcible entry door breach and the senior guy reaches over and turns the knob. VIOLA! Open door. Anyhow, this gentleman has done most of everything that he wants to do and so the fire service has his complete and full dedication. I was asking the youngest guy how he was doing and he said " that guy has more heart than anybody out here". It sounds like you have a good medical background and your FF certs out of the way. All that is left is taking the tests. Go for it! have fun!
    David Furey
    "sacrifice before self"

Forum Member

Don't you guys have age discrimination laws over there? Oldest guy I know joined the service at 45.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am 38 an looking....I wish when I graduated high school I would have found firefighting. Things would be much different. My problem is there are very few fulltime departments in Vermont. And the waiting/testing lists are long. Rumor has it there are some small vollie depts., looking for admin. firefighters. Which I'll gladly do. Push papers and still do the job PRICELESS!!!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

You wrote:
    "I've heard from the younger crowd I'm to old and from the older crowd i'm not"

My question is simple. Who does the hiring?

It's certainly not the "younger crowd".

I would hire a 36 year old in a heart beat, provided he meets ALL of my qualifications.

He or she must be physically fit, qualified, squared away, and dialed in. A 36 year old firefighter has alot in common with my firefighters. Being married, a father, a homeowner and the ground becomes more common.

Don't listen to the young kids. They have no idea what they are talking about. Keep in mind, however, that I expect you to be in TOP physical condition. I will not give you leniency because you are older. My expectation is that your physical agility score will be right up there with the twenty something candidate.

Lastly, do not dwell on your formal education. If presented the wrong way it will hurt you. Humility is extremely important.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Last edited by BCLepore; 03-23-2007 at 05:35 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't listen to the young ones, unless they are an officer. Then make sure they don't get you hurt due to lack of experience. The younger ones may be trying for the same job or are jealous. Go for it. Medical school? Get your Paramedic. Your chances of getting hired are greater. Don't through those degrees in their face too fast. I went through the academy at 50.

And no, martinm we don't have age discrimination over here. Maybe sometimes we should.
    Last edited by Tnfiremedic; 03-24-2007 at 08:14 AM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up You Bet

Mike...I've got three words for you.....GO FOR IT!! If you can do the job I say ...GO FOR IT . They say the olders ones of us (I'm 57) can't do the job, well I retired @ 50 and I still have fun during Brush Fire Season working with the "Kids". They might have alot of energy ...but us old guy's get the job done easier.
    Jay
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks everyone,
    I appreciate the answers from everyone, it makes it worthwhile when you've dropped other things to follow your dreams. I know about the college stuff, I put that in there just for background info. But I appreciate the feedback greatly!!!! Now I can show my wife the replies, hahahahahahahahahahahah

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikemuth1 View Post
    Everyone, your feedback would be welcomed. I'm 36, have two bachelor's degrees basically in pre-med, I served 4 years in the army, I've gotten my emt-b license, currently in ff 1 and 2 which ends in july, in august I start paramedic school. I know some departments won't even look at me due to my age but there are others who don't look at age. I've heard from the younger crowd i'm to old and from the older crowd i'm not, and that my age may have benefits. With my current background and upon completion of paramedic school in your honost opinions do I have a better than average chance of getting on with a department?
    Thanks for all answers.
    Mike, If the "younger crowd" you are referring to ,are newly hired f.f s in their 20"s, I would listen to them carefully. Lets face it, they obviously know what it takes, otherwise they wouldn't be on the job. Owning a home with a wife and kids, may prove to be benefical,in getting hired with some depts.evidently,(sorry Chief,I couldn't resist), however, it's your stellar resume that will certainly get you a sniff at least. Best of luck soldier.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    I am 38 an looking....I wish when I graduated high school I would have found firefighting. Things would be much different. My problem is there are very few fulltime departments in Vermont. And the waiting/testing lists are long. Rumor has it there are some small vollie depts., looking for admin. firefighters. Which I'll gladly do. Push papers and still do the job PRICELESS!!!
    Waterbury

Burlington is going to run a test soon, check out their website. You may not have much time to get the application in.

Thread Information