Thread: T-shirts

Forum Member

Default T-shirts

Do you guys find it offensive for a non-firefighter to wear a department's t-shirt? I imagine you'd find those "I fight what you fear" nonsense shirts offensive on a non-firefighter but how about just a plain old FNDY or other department t-shirt?

Forum Member

I don't get offended. Do you think the Yankees get mad when they see someone wearing a NY jersey?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    I don't get offended. Do you think the Yankees get mad when they see someone wearing a NY jersey?
    LOL no.

Just thought I'd ask. I wouldn't want to offend anyone. I would feel bad if I walked around my own city with my city's FD shirt own.

Forum Member

I don't really care. The only problems that I could see coming up would be:

1. If the person wearing it does something stupid, then it goes back to the dept.

2. If somethign happens when rescue might be needed, someone might try to get the person wearing the shirt, and ask for help

3. No using it to try and score a free cup of coffee.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I think I see where you are/were going. I saw a woman (a very attractive one at that..) yesterday with a FDNY hat on. I am sure because the whole FDNY/NYPD/PAPD apparel became "trendy".

Does it annoy me it took 9-11 to get people aware of emergency services. Yeah a little...
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

To elaborate:

So long as you're not misrepresenting yourself as a member of the Dept, I see no problem with it. Of course, I have about 70 different FD t-shirts from all my travels.

Forum Member

I guess it would also depend on where you work.

I live in a small suburb off of Chicago called McHenry. If I saw someone wearing a McHenry Fire Dept shirt, that wasn't on the Dept, I would be like Who the F is that? I wouldn't actually really care, just wonder how he got the shirt, cause we don't jsut give them away.

However, if I worked on a dept like Chicago or New York, I would realize that people all over the coutry have FDNY shirts/hats/bumperstickers/whatever, so I wouldn't even be phased.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy View Post
    Do you guys find it offensive for a non-firefighter to wear a department's t-shirt? I imagine you'd find those "I fight what you fear" nonsense shirts offensive on a non-firefighter but how about just a plain old FNDY or other department t-shirt?
    I find the "I fight what you fear" shirts offensive, no matter who is wearing it! Whacker puke!

So far as a department shirt goes, as long as they're not giving my dept a bad name by misrepresenting us in some bad way, I really don't care.
    Last edited by fireman4949; 03-23-2007 at 05:30 PM.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post
    I don't really care. The only problems that I could see coming up would be:

1. If the person wearing it does something stupid, then it goes back to the dept.

2. If somethign happens when rescue might be needed, someone might try to get the person wearing the shirt, and ask for help

3. No using it to try and score a free cup of coffee.

Our dept has duty shirts and non-duty shirts. Only FF's can get a hold of duty shirts (blue) we have grey shirts available for anyone. We have had problems in the past with someone wearing a FD t-shirt, being intoxicated or making a general fool of themselves and word got back. (don't believe the person was ever a member, but found a FD shirt at Goodwill or something) So all duty shirts now have to be embroidered with the FF's name. Also makes it tougher for general public to be confused as a FF

Forum Member

I would feel bad if I walked around my own city with my city's FD shirt own.
    As well you should--at that point you're toeing a very fine line bordering on impersonation. Just as if you walked around with a polo with your city PD's insignia embroidered on it...you don't have to say anything, the shirt stands on its own.

If you're wearing something "trendy" (aka "High Profile Big City Department"), as someone else said: FDNY, Boston FD, Chicago FD, Miami-Dade Fire-Rescue, etc, and you don't live anywhere near the city in question, well, no harm, no foul. Just try to buy the shirt from a site or store that donates part (or even better, nearly all) of the proceeds towards a "Fallen Firefighter" or similar FD-charitable fund...that's showing a lot more support than merely wearing the shirt.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    As long as it's one they get royalties from they don't.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Our dept has duty shirts and non-duty shirts. Only FF's can get a hold of duty shirts (blue) we have grey shirts available for anyone. We have had problems in the past with someone wearing a FD t-shirt, being intoxicated or making a general fool of themselves and word got back. (don't believe the person was ever a member, but found a FD shirt at Goodwill or something) So all duty shirts now have to be embroidered with the FF's name. Also makes it tougher for general public to be confused as a FF
    I'm trying to get my dept. to get some shirts made that we can sell to the public or to people just passing through. Great way to make some money for the department.

Forum Member

I imagine you'd find those "I fight what you fear" nonsense shirts offensive on a non-firefighter
    Personally, I find them more offensive on an alleged firefighter than on a civilian...

but how about just a plain old FNDY or other department t-shirt?
    People who wear other department's tee-shirts as if it was their own are suspect. Too many of them fall into the same stem-whacker mold as the ones wearing the "I fight what you fear" garbage.

Of course there's nothing like seeing an instructor -- who happens to be from FDNY -- roast students who aren't for showing up for class wearing FDNY shirts...
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 03-25-2007 at 09:44 PM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Who cares?

I personally collect t-shirts. For each and every one of them I have traded for, with a lot of people from here as a matter of fact.

The one thing I could see is if someone wore a shirt from someplace and tried to do something, as if they were on that department. Impersonating if you will.
    Yeah, that could happen but I could get hit by a bus tomorrow too. I really don't think it is anything to worry about.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    The one thing I could see is if someone wore a shirt from someplace and tried to do something, as if they were on that department. Impersonating if you will.
    Yeah, that could happen but I could get hit by a bus tomorrow too. I really don't think it is anything to worry about.
    True Dickey...I'll agree with you. However, ask Sugar next time you see him abou knee jerk reactions. Sometimes it doesn't take much to change a system.

BTW...wanna trade you have the email

Forum Member

Our Department fortunately is supported very positively by our community, and as a result our T-Shirts have become very popular, we have begun putting out a new design every 3 to 4 months on holiday’s (St. Patrick’s day, Independence day , Halloween and Christmas Duty shirts reflecting the holiday… very popular with not only the members but our customers as well) although we don’t aggressively sell them to outside members they are requested occasionally, mostly shirts are given away to friends and supporters, so far they have not been a problem as most of our community knows who the real department members are.

Our duty shirts are also made in children’s sizes it nice to be doing work in the schools and see all the “little supporter’s” in a department t-shirt.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post

BTW...wanna trade you have the email
    I can't send you a PM.

dickeydo@charter.net
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

You know I read this yesterday while wearing my boyfriend's fire department shirt and agreed with everything said (I was wearing it as a joke.. normally I only wear it to bed since I don't want someone thinking i'm part of his FD) BUT I then went to the FD I work for and a guy had one of those mini sport bikes.... so I road it around town then it hit me... i'm riding a mini bike... around town... wearing my boyfriends FD shirt.. hmm.. good thing his town is about 30 min away lol

oops...

Forum Member

Though I have 6 department shirts from my old volunteer department and 4 readily identifiable whacker shirts,I can still go a week or two between wearing either since I have plenty of civilian clothes to wear.Matter of fact,in the Navy when I'd get my yearly uniform allowance on my check,I'd go out and buy more civvies.PO Iglar taught me that one.I had enough Navy clothes to wear.
    Yesterday,I saw some kid drivng around the Bartlett area in a p/u with a firefighter license plate.This guy was weaving in and out of traffic and generally acting a fool.My thought after "I'll keep my distance in case he wrecks out" was "I sure hope he don't get to drive the BRT on calls.If I knew what department he was on,some officer would be getting a call for sure."
    I am sure that I was not the only one noticing that state issued firefighter plate and I couldn't have been the only one thinking how he lowered people's opinion of those that drive as he does and advertise their affiliation with the fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

I Collect T-Shirts my rules of thumb with that is if I am in the area or city of a shirt I own I don't wear it. out of respect for that fire dept. Since i am a Military FF I will not wear a shirt with the IAFF logo on it cause I am not a member and did not earn the right to where it. Again out of respect.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Yesterday,I saw some kid drivng around the Bartlett area in a p/u with a firefighter license plate.This guy was weaving in and out of traffic and generally acting a fool.My thought after "I'll keep my distance in case he wrecks out" was "I sure hope he don't get to drive the BRT on calls.If I knew what department he was on,some officer would be getting a call for sure."
    I am sure that I was not the only one noticing that state issued firefighter plate and I couldn't have been the only one thinking how he lowered people's opinion of those that drive as he does and advertise their affiliation with the fire service.
    Maybe he had to get to the station so he could drive the support truck

As for t-shirts, I have a few of my departments, a couple of whacker shirts that I wear to the bars every once in a while, and I have 9 or 10 from some departments down south that my cousins are members of.

Forum Member

I too collect t-shirts from other departments... and I am also a proud member of the "wacker" group.

And I have a t-shirt for that too!

Forum Member

I didn't know A Y was old enough to drive.It did look like a teenaged kid,though.
    A couple of my whacker shirts are getting old enough to be used to wash my truck with now.I might replace them with others,then again,I might not.

Quote Originally Posted by tfdping1018 View Post
    Maybe he had to get to the station so he could drive the support truck

As for t-shirts, I have a few of my departments, a couple of whacker shirts that I wear to the bars every once in a while, and I have 9 or 10 from some departments down south that my cousins are members of.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the answers you guys.

I have much respect for firefighters and most certainly do not want to be a whacker. And what's the deal with the "fight what you fear" stuff? I always thought firefighters were more humble than that, and I'm probably right since it seems real firefighters find that offensive.

Forum Member

Well,it sells good in the Our Designs catalog,appearently.You can find useful stuff in there,just don't get carried away and start buying things no respecting FF would use or even it be let known that he has got the item.

Thanks for all the answers you guys.

I have much respect for firefighters and most certainly do not want to be a whacker. And what's the deal with the "fight what you fear" stuff? I always thought firefighters were more humble than that, and I'm probably right since it seems real firefighters find that offensive.

Thread Information