1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default want to become a fort worth firefighter

    I live in the fort worth area and have been doing some calling around about becoming a firefighter. I am physically fit and have some time on my hands. I run my own business but I have always wanted to be a firefighter and now have the chance. I really need some help. Where do I start? Do I need to go to a school or wait till a fire station is hiring and just go apply? What is the best thing for me to do? Any info. will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    73

    Default

    There's several diff ways you can go about becoming a firefighter and everyone will tell you something diff, but you have to choose what's best for you. One of the first things you need to decide is which dept. do you want to work for, and then research that dept and look at their requirements and how often do they test. The req. will help you decide if you need to go to fire school, medic school, etc. Do you want to be a ff anywhere or just a FW FF? Most dept's have a website, FW is www.fwfd.com. FW doesn't have too many req., they don't req any college or paramedic, but many places in the metroplex req. a medic or fire certification. Me personally, I went to school, got a business degree and then started testing everywhere I could and now I'm finally gettin a badge with FW. I recommend testing everywhere you can and going through the hiring process because most dept's have a similar process and each time you go through it you get better at it, whether it's taking the test or interviewing. You have to practice it...the more you do it, the better you'll get at it, and you can always turn a job down if you get an offer at a place you really don't want to go. Now is a good time to try to get on with FW, they've been hiring a lot and they say they'll continue to hire a lot for the next 5-10 yrs. The next test will prob be between Oct-Jan.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Panther City, TX
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by landwert View Post
    I live in the fort worth area and have been doing some calling around about becoming a firefighter. I am physically fit and have some time on my hands. I run my own business but I have always wanted to be a firefighter and now have the chance. I really need some help. Where do I start? Do I need to go to a school or wait till a fire station is hiring and just go apply? What is the best thing for me to do? Any info. will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
    If you want to be on at FW, you need to apply, then take the written test. They will be taking applications later this year for a test at the end of the year. The written test is used to make a list, ranked from highest score to lowest. The highest scorers get called in for the next round, the physical agility test.

    At your local library or a lot of bookstores you can get firefighter civil service prep guides. I recommend ARCO 15th edition that has NFSI material in it. It's just like FWs. You'll also get some study material when you apply but I'd start preparing now. Those getting called back for these last 2 classes made into the 90s.

    I also got just got hired w/ maynerd14. It's a lot of waiting (several months+) and a lot of work, but it's worth it.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    225

    Default

    How many questions were on it? And how many questions for each section? I heard most of it is like a taas test..(or tacs, whatever it is now) Am I wrong with that?

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    polecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Burnaby,B.C, canada
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by landwert View Post
    I live in the fort worth area and have been doing some calling around about becoming a firefighter. I am physically fit and have some time on my hands. I run my own business but I have always wanted to be a firefighter and now have the chance. I really need some help. Where do I start? Do I need to go to a school or wait till a fire station is hiring and just go apply? What is the best thing for me to do? Any info. will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
    Dude, Do you realize that you live practically next door, to arguably the best fire school in the country? Trainingdivision.com offers an on line program and 2 week boot camp that will provide you with all the credentials you need for $2500.00. Good luck!

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Panther City, TX
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    How many questions were on it? And how many questions for each section? I heard most of it is like a taas test..(or tacs, whatever it is now) Am I wrong with that?
    105 "regular questions" over reading comprehension, math skills, information ordering, etc. 50 personality questions. They give you 2.5 hours. The test is made by I/O solutions. FW will give you a study guide and access to an online practice test when you apply. If you want to start preparing now, get ARCO's firefighter test prep book (most bookstores, online, libraries). Get the 15th edition because it has NFSI material similar to the test made by I/O solutions. I think the ARCO book and the I/O study guide are written by the same guy ???

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cowtown, TX
    Posts
    221

    Default

    agavegrove and myself were both recently hired by fort worth and start soon. i would personally recomend all of the above options. anyone who knows me knows i am a proponnent of college, but i will state that you do not need college to be a firefighter. i personally did prior to testing for departments. and as for testing prep, the arco book that agavegrove recommended is excellent but i greatly prefer the Encyclopedia of Firefighter Exams from fireprep.com over any other book i have used. this is just a matter of personal opinioins and the encyclopedia is not as well advertised as arco. if needed i will expand on why i have this opinion. rumor is there will be another test somewhere between october and january so just start preparing and ace it.

    After you ace the exam and kill the physical ability. focus focus focus on the interview. once you get to the interview, it truely is sink or swim then. as stated before, interview is 100% of the determining factor of getting a job, you have to be a salesman. always confident and never cocky. find people to do mock interviews with you. tape record yourself to see how bad you sound or how bad of an accent you have in my case. if you use all your resources then you will be a fort worth firefighter very soon.

    also, keep your nose clean, you don't want something on a background check costing you a job.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Panther City, TX
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trevolp View Post
    agavegrove and myself were both recently hired by fort worth and start soon. i would personally recomend all of the above options. anyone who knows me knows i am a proponnent of college, but i will state that you do not need college to be a firefighter. i personally did prior to testing for departments. and as for testing prep, the arco book that agavegrove recommended is excellent but i greatly prefer the Encyclopedia of Firefighter Exams from fireprep.com over any other book i have used. this is just a matter of personal opinioins and the encyclopedia is not as well advertised as arco. if needed i will expand on why i have this opinion. rumor is there will be another test somewhere between october and january so just start preparing and ace it.

    After you ace the exam and kill the physical ability. focus focus focus on the interview. once you get to the interview, it truely is sink or swim then. as stated before, interview is 100% of the determining factor of getting a job, you have to be a salesman. always confident and never cocky. find people to do mock interviews with you. tape record yourself to see how bad you sound or how bad of an accent you have in my case. if you use all your resources then you will be a fort worth firefighter very soon.

    also, keep your nose clean, you don't want something on a background check costing you a job.
    Class 66! Yeah!! 16 more days!

    Trevolp is right about the Encylopedia from fireprep.com. I got that one too and it's great. In fact, I liked it better than some of the more common test preps. Everything else is like he said.

    As far as advice on the board, pay attention to all of it. CaptBob, BCLepore, jaydudley are also guys to pay close attention too.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    73

    Default

    I used Chief Lepore's book "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview" and it was a lot of help particularly for the scenario based portion of the interview.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cowtown, TX
    Posts
    221

    Default

    i never bought a book for the interview stuff and never felt it was needed on a personal basis.....however, that was just me. these forums are a plethera of info on interview material and bclepore and capt bob know their stuff...but they also have a product to sell.

    my best advice is to use whatever resource you have available. i personnaly used the career services department at my university for mock interviews where they run you through the ringer as if you were applying for a job but at the end they critique you on your interview skills. i also applied for every job interview on my campus so i could gain experience in the hot seat. if you know any chiefs or some big wigs then get some advice, or if you know people who have sat on interview boards before, then pick their brain and just ask them for help. most firefighters love to see young ambitious people who are working their asses off to get into the field and are more than willing to help, all you have to do is ask.

    the biggest thing you can do is just get to where you are comfortable and confident with yourself.......if you don't believe in your product then why should FWFD. then secondly, learn to sell yourself, be concise but very thorough.

    using these forums is a great way to get started and if you ask me you are already well on your way to becoming a fwfd firefighter. keep your chin up and keep on keepin on.

    trevor

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Trevor

    I tried to email you, but it wouldn't let me... I'm pretty sure we went to school together. Prob did the "hell" week together back in the day. Anyway, hopefully i'll see you in about a year.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cowtown, TX
    Posts
    221

    Default

    i went through rookie week in 2002. i was a master for the three years after that and just decided i was done with it this year. not sure why it won't let you send an email, i have recieved them before from other users.

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Did yall start yesterday? Or do I have the date wrong? Just wondering how it went.

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Panther City, TX
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    Did yall start yesterday? Or do I have the date wrong? Just wondering how it went.
    It was. Everything went good. It was long because it was all HR stuff, paper work, and more paperwork. Probably the easiest day we'll ever have Today was going over rules and regs. We also got our PT locker assignments, uniforms. 2 guys have voluntarily bailed out. One had an offer with border patrol so he jumped on that. Another who worked previously at Farmers Branch, went back there. So they called one guy this morning and the other guy yesterday and both of them were in class by the end of the day. Talk about lucky. Just goes to show you can get called even into the first week.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Good to hear! When you say personality questions, what exactly does that entail? Is that what makes and breaks you on the written test? And what all does the ARCO book cover?

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Panther City, TX
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy View Post
    Good to hear! When you say personality questions, what exactly does that entail? Is that what makes and breaks you on the written test? And what all does the ARCO book cover?
    They ask you to rate, on a scale of "strongly agree" to "strongly disagree" statments like: "I always like working alone." "I feel stressed when faced with a new situation." There are 50 of those. That is what makes/breaks on the written because there is no practice for those on the I/O Practice Tests. Be consistent with your answers and try to stay on the "strongly ___" end of the spectrum. Don't know if that works for sure, but that's the advise I was given. ARCO covers math, mechanics, spatial orientation, reading comp, reasoning judgment and other stuff. The questions are the type you'd see on the I/O test.

    Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We're in our first week of EMS and knocked out 3 chapters today. Some of us are also doing extra PT in addition to the regular PT. We get off at 1700, get home around 1800-1830 and most are in bed at 2100-2200. That leaves us 3-5 hours to study, get ready for the next day, and spend time with our families. Speaking of which... back to it...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What's going on in Fort Worth?
    By jschmidt in forum Texas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 07:44 PM
  2. Firefighter Fatality Figures Show 107 On-duty Deaths In 2004
    By SANDSTROMJM in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 07:45 PM
  3. Stop hitting your self fireservice, stop hitting your self!
    By stm4710 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 03:32 PM
  4. Plea for help for Firefighter who lost leg in accident.
    By raven911 in forum Prayers, Support & Non-LODDs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 03:03 PM
  5. Replies: 384
    Last Post: 05-18-2002, 12:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register