Forum Member

Default chiefengineer11 marks **50** years of ACTIVE service.....

-Figured I would post this here, in the apparatus forums, where his friends, fellow greasemonkeys, wrench-turners, and friction-loss guru's hang out.....

Last evening, at the annual dinner banquet of the Bryn Athyn Fire Company (Montgomery County, Pa. Company 11) I had the honor and pleasure of being the Master of Ceremonies for the main feature of the night- Honoring my Father- Chief Engineer 11 for FIFTY years of ACTIVE service to the Bryn Athyn Fire Company. Dad joined at the age of 17 in 1857. (errr ahh excuse me, 1957.)

Dad was honored by the Mayor with some kind words, a Pa. House of Representatives Commendation was presented by our local Representative, Mr. Tom Murt, and I also presented Mrs. Chief Engineer 11 with a dozen roses for "putting up with it all", for this April 21 marks 45 years of wedded bliss for the two lovebirds.

Then of course, the roast. I sincerely hope he didnt think he was getting off lightly with some nice words from some politicians. A few amateur comedians came out the woodwork to help roast my old man. A few dinosaur jokes were thrown out, someone mentioned something about Geico Cavemen, a bunch of old fires were brought up, and someone even pulled a trump card out of their hat, that being something about an ambulance being wrecked on Roosevelt Boulevard in Philadelphia in the 1960's???????? Someone also made mention that Dad HATES when he misses the piece- but there is one thing he hates more than that- when he misses the piece and I wave at him from the driver's seat as we pull out

But the highlight of the night, in my opinion, came when Dad was told, by the Chairman of the new pumper committee, that the new Toyne Pumper, (that you all have heard so much about here over the last year or so) is being dedicated to him.

A Bell has been mounted on the bumper, with the following engraving: "1957-2007, 50 years of active service, Chief Engineer 11."

It was his night. This is his thread. Yes, he's my father, but not for nothing, I dont care who you are, 50 years is some kind of stuff!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Wink 50 Years

Best Of Luck And Continued Service For Sam From Engineer 3 And The Elkins Park Fire Company!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Great story Buff, thanks for sharing!

Congrats chiefengineer11, that's one hell of a milestone!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    A few dinosaur jokes were thrown out, someone mentioned something about Geico Cavemen...
    You mean this guy....???

Looks like you're still in pretty good shape up there...

Congrats on 50 yrs, ChiefEngineer.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Congratulations on 50 years of service ChiefEngineer11.

I hope I can still provide the same thing to the younger FF's as you have. My son has also taken up FF. And learning from "The OLD Man". I only have to go another 15 yrs. to make it 50.

Again Congratulations on the first 50, keep going and enjoying what you love to do.

TJ

Forum Member

CE11,

Congrats on Fifty years!!!!

Buff,

Thanks for shareing the story.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well that seals it - in Indy I will have to purchase Sam at least one round of his favorite liquid treat (you may not prefer liquor, so whatever - there's a Steak n Shake downtown so it could be a milkshake for all I care) in honor of what I think is worthy of so much more. My hat's off to you sir...

Our longest guy has 40+ years on, and I have a long, long way to go before I hit fifty. Maybe I could touch the bell since the rig will be on display at Indy and some of that longevity will wear off on me.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Congratulations! I have only seen a couple of people, (My Dad and one other guy.) who served that long. Both answered their final alarm a few years back now.

I look forward to your posts because they have experience and common sense in the information. I just did not realize how much "experience" that was.

Forum Member

Congratulations ChiefEngineer11. A job well done and I call that dedication. WOW 50 years is really something.

MembersZone Subscriber

congrats CE11

Forum Member

Now that is the coolest !!!!!!!!!!! Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chief Engineer 11

Well deserved Sam! Congratulations. It wasn't mentioned but it is certainly testimony the way you have always been willing to share your extensive knowledge and help others. I'm sure HOBO would agree. Watch the Geico Guys!
    METZ AERIALS: "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN USE THEM"

Forum Member

Default Thanks to all

Friends from around the country, the continent and the world, thanks to all of you. Your kind words and thoughts will always stay with me. I gotta tell you, it has been and with any luck, continues to be the ride of a lifetime. I remember my first (official) run like it was yesterday. It was a field fire (we did have them once), not much, but it was a run, anyway.

At our annual banquet I expected that they'd make some mention of it as they were handing out the various length of service pin awards. I can tell you, I was totally unprepared for what Buff and others put together. At the end of it all he hands me the mike like I'm supposed to say something. All I managed was something like, "That's an awful lot of fuss to make over someone who's just been hanging out having a good time."

Your words reinforce just how special it is to be part of the fire service family.

Joel, you know I'll be looking for you in Indy. You, too, Tony.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Forum Member

You still haven't told me how much coal you had to shovel in one hour into the firebox of that 1898 Silsby when it was pumping at full capacity.....

Forum Member

Chiefengineer11:

Congratulations on your 50 years of dedicated service!

I was able to check out your new rig last week during Toyne's National Sales Meeting at it looks really sharp, especially the bell on the front dedicated to Sam. I do not think that you or the members of Bryn Athyn will be disappointed.

Good luck and I hope to see you in Indy!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber

what a great story!!!!! congrats

MembersZone Subscriber

CE11,

Congrats. I didnt know you were that old! To everyone here, CE11 has sent me a great deal of info when I was working on writing specs for a new engine. He is a generous and helpful man and I always look to see what he has to say on these forums.

Thanks Sir.

Forum Member

Default A milestone I would love to attain myself

I am curious just how much he has aged the past few weeks, as most of you know CE11 pushed his duplex so hard it blew an oil cooler line and he had his own emergency at the scene of a good sized fire.This has been mild compared to the turmoil he has endured driving a past/future beer can. I am sure he has been grinding his teeth everytime the bell hits and he has to get into the loaner. FWD Buff says it runs good, but this from the guy who has a chip implanted from Clintoville and drinks She-grave kool-aid.

All kidding aside congradulations Sam, 50 years is a great legacy of service.

FWD do you think it is mail time?
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

Default Running 3rd

It's running 3rd, behind our '78 Hahn and the Special Service. All things considered though, it's a decent piece. EP has always written a good spec and taken good care of what they have. They have it for sale, and in the right environment it would fit in very well. Just turned 9,000 miles.

Thanks for the kind words. Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Forum Member

TAAAA-DAAAAA.....The aforementioned bell, on the new 2007 Toyne/Spartan pumper.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 06-06-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Forum Member

Hey Dan, we did place a change order with Toyne to have them install a sprinkler system in the engine compartment.

Forum Member

Default Ohio Firefighter on the Job for 81 Years

I guess this makes CE11 a Junior?

Ohio Firefighter on the Job for 81 Years

JENNIFER McKEVITT
    Courtesy of The News-Herald

Retiring Thompson Township Fire Chief Paul Robison has led a life of service - 97 years' worth.

"I started fighting fires in 1926, when I was in high school," Robison recalled this week. "In those days, when we had a fire in the area, the older boys could leave school to help put it out. I figured it was a good way to get out of class." Back then, Robison was part of the "bucket brigade" - a long line of men passing buckets of water toward the flames.

"In 1928, Thompson got its first fire truck," Robison said. "It was a used chemical truck, and held two 30-gallon tanks. We had to mix ash and soda with the water to better douse flames. Since the shanty where we kept the truck was unheated, we had to do the mixing by hand in the winter, or else it would freeze. It was a lot of work."

Robison became Thompson's fire chief in 1943.

"Before me, Homer Crandall held the position," Robison said. "The first telephone line went through Crandall Ford, so it made sense for a Crandall to have the job. I was service manager for the garage, so someone just came and got me whenever there was a fire."

In the ensuing years, Robison oversaw many changes in the way fires were managed.

"I accepted the position of fire chief with the provision that the trustees would match whatever funds the department was able to raise for itself through dances, ice cream socials and other events. That way, we were able to upgrade the trucks, and eventually build the fire station," Robison said.

In addition to his fire chief duties, Robison found time to marry and have a family, as well as start the Paul Robison Equipment Co., still in business on the square in Thompson. He also served St. Patrick's Church, assisting with the building when the church relocated to its present site in 1960.

"For a while there, it was almost like I had three jobs," Robison said. "I was very busy. I do hate to be idle, though."

The work has clearly done him good. Spry and handsome at 97, Robison still moves around his office at the Fire Department energetically, lifting bundles, sorting books of handwritten fire records from the decades before computers and unearthing the countless commendations received throughout the years. Hambden Fire Chief Scott Hildenbrand has known Robison for 25 years.

"Paul is an amazing man," Hildenbrand said. "He's an exceptional guy who's dedicated his entire life to the Thompson Fire Department, and will probably keep on doing so. He's still active, he still responds to fires and he even attends all the Geauga County Fire Chiefs Association meetings.

"He always participates at meetings, and keeps up with new things. It's been a privilege to know and work with him. Plus, the guy's in better shape than I am, despite my not being even half his age."

Though due to officially retire from the position of Thompson fire chief at the end of June, Robison expects to continue contributing to the department. "I suppose I've always been fascinated by fire," Robison said. "Not the starting of fires, of course, but the mechanics of them. When I was a boy growing up on our farm on Dewey Road, my father used to have us burn brush, and I was able to study the way flames work - what fuels a fire, what starves it and so on. "The classroom training that firemen get today is all very good, but there's nothing like hands-on experience. That's the key, in my opinion."

Though Robison's son Dan serves as assistant fire chief, no replacement has yet been named.

"The main thing is that the new fire chief be able to work well with the trustees," the elder Robison said.

Republished courtesy The News-Herald

Forum Member

Gotta take your hat off to that guy! I don't see me getting there.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well..............

I just ran across this thread while looking for some other info. Reading it has been a pleasure. Sam, we've never met, but I know a couple of young guys who you would remember. one is Alan Trimble. Big Al joined my place about 20-25 years ago. It took us a while to get his Pennsylvaniaese translated into Maryland english. He's doing great, still a Paramedic in DC, and now married. The other guy is Don Haworth. Also a medic, and worked at my station for the past couple of years. (Is there something in the water up there? everyone you send me is a Medic ) Anyway, Congrats on the Honors, they're very well deserved.

Second Thought - Bring that New Piece down to Ocean City Md. next June for the MSFA Convention Parade.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the kind words. I remember Alan Trimble and Don Haworth both very well. Don actually had rejoined and was active with us until recently. He would come up when he had a few days off and take a turn or two. I think Alan was back for a visit a year or so ago, I remember seeing him in the station. Good to know they're both doing well.

I wanted to take the new one to Ocean City, but we had some conflicts. Try again for next year. We've had its predecessor, the '89 Duplex/Quality there half dozen or so times, and our '78 Hahn once. We always have a great time. If you see us there next year, be sure to come introduce yourself.

Thread Information