Thread: Bunker Gear

Forum Member

Default Bunker Gear

We are in the process of writing our grant application narrative, and are only asking for turnout gear money, but a neighboring chief mentioned that he thought, it would better our chances of getting the grant, if we also asked for a washing machine.
    Opinions please.

MembersZone Subscriber

Many have written very successful bunker gear grants w/o the washer. From what I have seen, many are asking for the washer after they get the gear.

Forum Member

Gear and a washer is a great package project. I got both at once. The washer will help extend the life of the gear which helps your cost benefit.

I now wish I had applied for a drying system as well! Air dry will still work, and we've got everyone in new gear for the first time in the history of the fire company.

Need vs. greed!

MembersZone Subscriber

Air drying is better for the gear anyway. It should only take 4 - 6 hours to dry. We hang ours in the hose washer and turn the fan on. Works great.

Forum Member

We got the washer and gear with a grant. I have heard of both though. Also air dry is still better.
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

MembersZone Subscriber

You always want to look at a complete solution. A gear washer ties in nicely with the PPE. As Sly pointed out it extends the service life of the PPE which = a better cost/benefit.

Both NFPA 1500 & 1851 have components that say PPE needs to be cleaned at the very least every 6 months.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is there a cap on the amount per "set" of turnout gear? I remember some talk of that in past years. I remember dollar limits on the price of a coat, pants, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    You always want to look at a complete solution. A gear washer ties in nicely with the PPE. As Sly pointed out it extends the service life of the PPE which = a better cost/benefit.

Both NFPA 1500 & 1851 have components that say PPE needs to be cleaned at the very least every 6 months.
    Does anyone know the best place to purchase PPE washers? I know there are several on the market, anyone with preferences?

Forum Member

Search the forums here, there have been plenty of people (including me) who have asked the same question.

Forum Member

Double post
    Last edited by SLY4420; 03-30-2007 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Forum burp

MembersZone Subscriber

Check hear for a discussion on gear washers.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=89096

MembersZone Subscriber

I remember in years past years dollar amount limits being placed on turnout gear. Are there any limits placed on gear this year by piece or as a whole?

Forum Member

wtfd,

Check here http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...t=85217&page=2

If you're applying for just coats, pants, suspenders, and helmets, should you line them out seperately or just throw it in as complete sets but mention that you are providing gloves, hoods, and boots?

If you are going line by line then it asks
    What percentage of your on-duty active members has PPE that meets current applicable NFPA and OSHA standards in effect at the time of application? If you are asking for specialized equipment (e.g., HazMat), what percentage of applicable members have this specialized PPE that meets the established standards?
    just for the sake of clarification this means just for that particular item right? So if we have 30 members and we have 20 good sets of boots and are asking for 10 then the answer to that question would be 66% right? Then when it asks for pants and we have 10 good sets and we are asking for 20 new sets the answer would be 33% and for coats and helmets we have none so it would be 0% correct? Just want to make sure that they're talking about individual items here and not overall. Would hate to say that overall we are 66% compliant.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wtfd2940 View Post
    I remember in years past years dollar amount limits being placed on turnout gear. Are there any limits placed on gear this year by piece or as a whole?
    We were held to $1,500.00 for pants and coats in our 2006 Award. We were not asking for boots or helmets.

Thread Information